1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealers/ /New Gun transfer ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gargoyle!, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

What the diff between the two???? One is new one is used but its still a gun.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

XP100,
    Did you ask him what it was? There are a few firearms out there that are specific to a dealer (limited Run guns) and you wouldn't have access to from your distributers.

I would have asked the person what it was and why they were buying it over the internet. With the additional shipping charges that were involved, you should be able to be price competitive. The exceptions to this would involve close-outs and special run guns. I'm not telling you how to run your business, but a little good faith will always come around full circle.

ec90t

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone wants to sell the gun himself, rather than transfer from someone else.

That's a hard one. There is not a lot of money to be made here. I would personally do the transfer out of good will, with the understanding that any problems with the merchandise have nothing to do with you, and the buyer is on his own.

We used to service motorcycles that people had bought at other dealerships to save a few bucks. That would really grind on the boss.

HM

4. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

I had a local gunshop tell me the same thing. I wanted to bring in a Krieghoff. He doesn't even carry Krieghoff, but he wouldn't make the transfer. Said he was competing against himself. A dealer makes $25.00 to do 5 minutes worth of paperwork. Sounds like a no brainer to me. Yes, you will probably lose a customer. The guy in Dallas did!

5. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

XP,

I am not a dealer. I am in business so I understand the dilemma. You don't want to lower the amount of money that you bring into your business that has very real overhead associated with it.

The internet is going to take a percentage of sales. There is no stopping that. Finding the dividing line for those items that you will transfer and you won't can be tricky. Perhaps you shouldn't transfer items that you routinely stock and everybody would understand that. Put up a sign that says so in your business.

On the other hand, someone wants to transfer in a gun that he has seen on the net. It has beautiful wood, the customer loves THAT gun and you are not a regular supplier for it. Why not? You get $30 (raise your fee)and the customer repeats business. I'll guarantee that that person will find someone else to transfer it in, whether you do or not. Personally, I would rather have him coming back in regularly. It would be nice though if it was really as easy as I just made it appear to be, wouldn't it? There's always going to be some individual cases that you will have to decide as they come.

all the best,
    john

6. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

XP100,

Your decision was wrong and short sighted, period. There's no difference in the transactions unless you had some sort of capital to front (if you used your bucks to order the gun) - then that's a different story.

7. jimx200

jimx200 Member

XP, my experience: I bought a used shotgun over the phone from private party, had it shipped to the FFL dealer near me, he charges $50. OK, but a little high as there was also a DROS fee of $29. on top of the $50...getting painful now. Next gun I buy via telephone from Joel Etchen (391 parallel and hard to find at the time). I go to do the paperwork (this is before the Cal. 10 day wait) and he says since it's new, the charge is $75. BS I say as he did not disclose to me any "up charge" from used to new. He played hard ball, but I reminded him that I bought a fair amount of ammo, duck decoys, and a overpriced Browning camo jacket recently. He refused. End result: I have since bought about 15 shotguns (12 used/3 new) in the past 5-6 years have never set foot in his place again. He sees me at a sporting clay shoot and asks why I had not been in. I explained that incident and the fact I have a FFL transfer who charges $50. total. Guess it boils down to whether you want to handle a transfer or not. But, it may also cost you sales on other items over something trivial. Another point: if I decide to spend $4000. on a gun and can get it outside of Calif., why would I buy here and get nailed sales tax (8 3/4%..about $350. extra)? And don't tell me you report your out of state purchases.lol. I have a second residence in Iowa and will now use that as it's a walk-in transaction.

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have been an FFL dealer for over 30 years.

It was my initial intent when becoming an FFL dealer to help trapshooters out by getting some of the high quality trap guns in here because no one really handled anything in this area...and help to save them a few dollars.

I have never turned a customer away, per se'.

I charge from $10-$20 to do a transfer and as a result I have sold quite a bit of peripheral shooting equipment in the process, eg.g: reloaders.

It's nothing to have a local shooter return from the Grand with anew Perazzi showing up here at the shop for them. I normally send a few signed FFL's along with a couple of shooters. I could have sold it initially, but he got a gun he wanted and was happy with me helping him out.

All I ask of them is some common courtesy and a simple "Thanks" is really all this is necessary in most cases.

In fact, I *just* got an H-S Precision rifle for a friend in CA at a discount and sent it off to his FFL.

I did have a customer whom I got in quite a few used trap guns, but because of his attitude at the trap club one evening, I told him to never call me again. I lost that customer, but there are some personalities you just can't deal with. I tried to tell him, but he just persisted being an A/H, so a lesson was learned, I hope.

Trapshooting is expensive enough, and, consequently, it is my belief that we should help each other out as much as we can.

IMHO,

WW

9. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Respectfully,

Xp makes a living selling guns. He feeds his kids, pays his employees', pays utilities and taxes. It is not an easy thing to do to watch your your main way of earning money being taken away by a competitor that he can not really compete with. His competitor may not have overhead, doesn't have to collect state taxes etc and can make very little over cost and still sell in enough volume to still make money.

So while it is easy to be judgemental as a buyer ask yourself what if it was your store? What would you do? Point is remember to try and support your local gun dealer, you may need him one day.

all the best,
    john

10. steevo

steevo TS Member

I recently bought a used gun over the phone. A friend of mine, who is a FFL holder, allowed me to have it sent to him and he did the transfer. He charged me $25 to do the papers. After that, I shipped out another one through him and paid the shipping, ins., the transfer through him, and also paid him to pack it for me. It cost me a total of $75.00. I didnt mind because he helped me out. I also bought a case of shells from him for almost $10 more than my usual cost. But, I didnt mind because he helped me out. One hand washes the other. If however, he had refused, I would be going somewhere else. Too many gun shops out there. Steve

11. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

My dealer charges $25 for a transfer whether or not it's a $100 gun or a new $20,000 gun. He charges for the FFL service, period. In this case, XP admits that he doesn't stock expensive guns, so the order isn't competing with any of his stock. He's not competing with anyone, but merely offering a transfer service. Sounds like he simply smelled a little money because it's a somewhat expensive gun. That's not treating all customers fairly. Joe lunchbox buys a Ruger for a couple of hundred bucks and pays $20 for a transfer. I buy a $6K trap gun and it's $20 plus a 12.5% just because it's new? That's BS. Sounds like XP needs to stock some new trap guns. That's the only FAIR way he's going to profit on them.

12. Sackett

Sackett TS Member

XP100, what if I had purchased a new gun from you and I had to have it shipped to an FFL here. Should my FFL here deny your shipment or charge me 12.5% on top of your 12.5%?

Please tell me the name of your business and location, I want to place an order

13. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

In my experience, if I had something shipped to an FFL who had the same gun in inventory or could special order the same gun, the transfer would be a flat out NO! or charge $100 fee just to teach me a lesson. They would rather make their own sale than mess with a transfer. I never go into those stores now, even to buy a box of 22s. Used guns are another story. They will gladly take the transfer money for something they don't have or can't get and then expect you to be the greatest customer in the world. I understand both sides of the coin. Sometimes though, you CAN get a great deal on a new gun through auctions or classified ads, but still need a dealer to do the transfer. So if it was my business, I would gladly do a transfer that originated from an individual, but if it was bought from another dealer, I might balk same as XP100.

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Other dealers are grateful for every penny that walks in there door ... I guess your not one of them.

Please post your shop so people will know who to avoid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.