1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deaf Three-Year-Old Not Allowed to Sign His Name

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Deaf Three-Year-Old Not Allowed to Sign His Name Because It Violates Preschool’s Weapons Policy

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/buSDPn_znHQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Grand Island Preschooler Asked to Change the Sign for His Name in School. Hunter Spanjer says his name with a certain special hand gesture, but at just three and a half years old, he may have to change it.

"He's deaf, and his name sign, they say, is a violation of their weapons policy," explained Hunter's father, Brian Spanjer.

Grand Island's "Weapons in Schools" Board Policy 8470 forbids "any instrument...that looks like a weapon," But a three year-old's hands?

"Anybody that I have talked to thinks this is absolutely ridiculous. This is not threatening in any way," said Hunter's grandmother Janet Logue.

"It's a symbol. It's an actual sign, a registered sign, through S.E.E.," Brian Spanjer said.

S.E.E. stands for Signing Exact English, Hunter's sign language. Hunter's name gesture is modified with crossed-fingers to show it is uniquely his own.

"We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child," said Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson.

That's just about all GIPS officials will say for now.

Meantime, Hunter's parents say that by Monday, lawyers from the National Association of the Deaf are likely to weigh in for Hunter's right to sign his own name.

Despite whatever rules and regulations may exist, some Grand Islanders we spoke with said they don't think it's right to make a three year-old change the way he says his name.

"It's his name. It's not like he's going to bring a gun to school when he's three years old," commented Dana Schwieger.

"I find it very difficult to believe that the sign language that shows his name resembles a gun in any way would even enter a child's mind," Grand Island resident Fredda Bartenbach reflected.

But for now, that's a discussion between the Spanjers and Grand Island Public Schools officials.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

That is beyond stupid

We don't need to wonder why the kids act so stupid anymore with people like that running the schools

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Another shining example of Liberalism at work.

4. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Well with any luck his college will be paid for with the money the taxpayers foot for the school officials foolish actions once they lose this in court. Common sense isn't common...

5. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

"Studid is as Studid does" My wife listened in on a conversation that my daughter has from a fellow class mate once ( she only did because of the attitude this child had) and the child was belligerent. We wondered were this ncame from a 12 year old an we realized that it came from the parents. So I guess my point is that they learn it from the adults.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Who is the Freak'n idiot that even remotely tied a child signing his name to the schools weapons ban policy anyway?? I mean somebody had to initiate this insanely stupid action.

7. oz

oz Active Member

did you see the one where a kid was chastized for having a picture of his brother in uniform on his notebook?

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Here is the schools home page, its is on other shooting sites!!!

You can contact them from there and give them a "education" which is obvious lacking on their part!!

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

good thing his name wasn't Muhammed...what is the sign language expression for a bomb exploding??

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

The only thing going on here is a edjeecated idiot throwing his weight around. Lets get real!!!!!!

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

"idiot" is too kind ...this poor kid is already going to have a difficult life without morons like this making it tougher and giving him an inferiority complex

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Time to recall all of the School Board and replace them with new people!

13. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

In Nebraska for God's sake! I lived there in the 60s and taught there. I used to drive to class on Tuesdays during hunting season with my shotgun on a rack over the back seat of my car, my dog in a crate in the back seat and then change into my hunting clothes in my office after my last class that day at 1030 and just go bird hunting. Can anybody defend this kind of crap? This country is so far gone I'm not sure we have any way to get it back.

14. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I can say without fear of contradiction, benedict, we sure ain't gonna get there with obummer at the helm. My wife and I saw 2016 today. I knew a lot of the info it presented, but they did a good job of tying it all together and defining what he is and why he does things or does not do things.

buz

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    noknock1, quote: <i>"Well with any luck his college will be paid for with the money the taxpayers foot for the school officials foolish actions once they lose this in court. Common sense isn't common..."</i>

I just thought up a solution to that...

The official making or approving such a decision who winds up costing the taxpayers more than, say, $25,000 in a civil rights lawsuit for damages and punitive costs gets fired, and forfeits all golden parachutes.

16. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Brian, good luck with that idea. They would simply put the offender on administrative leave with full pay and benefits while his pension continues to accumulate.

17. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I've got a sign for those idiots....it only uses one finger!!!

18. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

My kids were all too slow to sign their name by any means at three.

Of course they took after their dad.....

Guy B.

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

While I see this as total over-reaction, his name is "Hunter". So I imagine that is the sign for a hunter, shooting a gun, although his fingers are crossed to show it is his name. Wonder what the sign is if his name was Richard. Also, is this a school for the deaf? Meaning all the kids are deaf.

20. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Liberal leftist MORONS!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.