1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DeadBirdShot has gone belly up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OK_Shooter, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK_Shooter

OK_Shooter TS Member

Looks like Jim at DeadBirdShot has had to shut down his new business venture. I am sorry this happened - was hoping to find a reliable source for some reasonably priced shot.

2. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't know Jim, but after reading his letter, and being a small business owner myself for the past 25 years, I feel his pain. It physically hurt to read that, but with his attitude I'm sure he'll come out of this. Jim if you are reading this, there is a light at the end of the tunnel & it's not a train coming. If you think you can, you will. Best of luck to all involved, Harv Shell.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yes, it pains a lot of us to read your e-letter. But what you did was go public with your creditors and other folks you know and ask for forgiveness without them attaching liens and the like and calling for personal foreclosure. If I were one of those, I would be filing immediately to force foreclosure. I had a similar situation some years back wiht a vendor that I financed and he came clean similarly after long overdue payment(s) were missed. I hung up the phone wiht him and immediately filed a lien and got my money a year later. HE was pissed. Expect that from anyone that you owed money to. Your best bet is a bankruptcy lawyer and get the process going. Or someoone will do it for you and coomplicate your life further. And I further advise you to face this hard decision and quit hoping for a miracle. Teh only thing that will work now is dealing with reality.

4. skeet100

skeet100 Member

"Why would you post all that whining and crying on the Internet?"

To try and hold off the comming wave of pissed investors and legal issues...

Just my guess...

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I was one of those that originally contemplated sending some "seed" money for this venture. While I pretty much felt, from the onset, that it probably would not work, or last very long, my greed for some free shot almost got the best of me. I'm one of the lucky ones, though. I kept thinking, and remembering, what I was taught growing up. "If it seems too good to be true, chances are it is." I decided to pass on the investment, and, all this time later, I still have all my money. Over the past year, I have received numerous letters from deadbird telling me about the problems, and failures, they were constantly encountering. I wondered then, as I do now, why they just didn't close it up and move on while they still could? While I certainly feel bad for his family, I don't feel bad for him, personally, as he had plenty of advance warning, and every opportunity to get out before it came to this. Perhaps his ego, and reluctance to admit to himself that this business was a failure, caused him to stay in way too long, and now he will pay the price for that. I also don't feel bad for the people that sent him money hoping to get something for nothing. It was a calculated risk they took, and the risk outweighed the return... Just my opinion.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Our club just took delivery of 400 bags @ $17.50/bag from a reliable processor. It much simpler than trying to get something for nothing. Rick ~~Texas

7. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well, maybe it is a train.

8. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I would be interested in just how much he owes to everyone. I don't see how you could get yourself in a position like he has when he stated that from the beginning he was having problems finding the raw materials to feed production. This should of been a sign from the start to limit your orders to ensure that you don't end up owing people product when you are incapable of producing the product.

9. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

How many on this board "invested" their money in this scheme? Apparently there are quite a few on the ShotgunWorld board that sent him money?

Just wondering.

Easystreet

10. OK_Shooter

OK_Shooter TS Member

I had considered buying into their plan - but something didn't quite feel right about the deal, so I decided to wait to see if he would be able to build it into a successful business.

I'm glad I waited.

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

I bought shot from Jim when he first started the business. #50 pounds a month for 6 months. Everything delivered on time with the only issues being the handling or should I say mis-handling of the fixed rate boxes by my Post Office. I chose not to participate in the Loan or free shot deal (whatever you choose to call it). It was excellent shot at a great price when shot was going for $45 - 50 bucks a bag elsewhere.

--- Chip King ---

12. RickyI

RickyI TS Member

I bought shot from Jim when he first started the business. #50 pounds a month for 6 months. Everything delivered on time with the only issues being the handling or should I say mis-handling of the fixed rate boxes by my Post Office. I chose not to participate in the Loan or free shot deal (whatever you choose to call it). It was excellent shot at a great price when shot was going for $45 - 50 bucks a bag elsewhere.

--- Chip King ---

Chip King,

I too was like yourself......just didn't have the money to let go of at the time for the investment.... I was Jim's first internet/website order buyer and always had shot on time.....
    I think Jim just got in over his head, just like many of us have done in the past.......

There were only "15" guys/investor's that took up the offer and that was all Jim had ask far....... I read in another post that the number was 500 folks, but NO, there were only 15......

hate to see it happen to him or anyone else in our sport....

rickyi

13. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I would think that Florida would be the worst place to mine shot. There are not that many clubs in the state. I can't imagine the Silver Dollar producing enough shot every five years to make it profitable much less a smaller club. Todd

14. chipking

chipking TS Member

EE It was two different things. Jim asked for 15 "investers" to front $1200 each to buy the reclaiming machine. They were to receive $100 per month plus #50 pounds of shot for 12 months to repay the $1200 front money. As far as how many customers he had I don't have a clue. I was a customer and was very happy with what I purchased from Jim.

--- Chip King ---

15. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It takes all kinds......LOL.....I don't know whether to laugh or cry for anyone that would fall for such a crock......ROFLMAO

16. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

I didn'tinvest, I sent him $240 FOR 12 bags of shot to be delivered over 6 months. I received 2 bags. Do I have recourse?

17. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Remember the fella that ran an ad in Popular Science or one of those books long ago that guranteed you at least your money back in ten years if perchance his business didn't prosper. Would split the profits among the investors ten years from startup. He invested in Gov't Bonds and pocketed $25 of every $100 invested and the company went belly up on paper about six years after the supposed startup. At the cash in date, he cashed in the bonds and refunded their original investment & pocketed the interest earned. Not sure if he got out of jail, yet. The Attorney General didn't like his math.

Big Jack.

18. chipking

chipking TS Member

No argument there at all EE and like better than 90% of the new businesses started in this country each year he overextended and ASSUMED that there would always be materials on hand to meet commitments he made and that nothing would ever break. Besides the "investors" there are also a large number of just plain customers who are out money as well. I think your other statement covers it pretty well.

"Rich, I can see how he got himself there. This guy got into business with the idea that because he knew how to do something (make shot), that he could make a business out of it. Business is not about products, it's about customers."

--- Chip King ---

19. RickyI

RickyI TS Member

Where the hell did this 15 number come from? That has to be BS. Why would anyone loan him money to buy shot reclaimation equipment when he only had 15 buyers of 50lbs/month? That's a crock.

OR, why would anyone *borrow* money to buy this equipment if they only had 15 customers lined up? Either way, it's a crock, and a pi$$ poor business plan and worse investment.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

EE

EE,

I would not have posted that number <15> if I had not knew it! I had got some where close to 20-25 bags of shot from Deadbird before the other deal happen. As "Faith" would have it, I was offshore working in the oil field and didn't get on the list of 15 investor's! Now I'm glad I didn't......
    I have now been getting my shot from BlackDiamond Shot Company...

Rickyi

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Part of my business, my successful business, involves evaluating commercial operations for other lenders. The Dead Bird Shot scheme seems to be one that a superficial analysis would show that the idea was at best very risky.

9point3- You do have recourse, but it is not very attractive. You can file a civil claim and possibly get a judgment. But collecting judgments is nearly impossible.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.