1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Mule

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skinitback777, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skinitback777

skinitback777 TS Member

Is anyone out there using or has used Dead Mule Recoil Reducers. They use springs instead of Mercury from what I understand.

2. skinitback777

skinitback777 TS Member

3. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Do a search at the top of the page for "Dead Mule" and all the threads and discussions are there.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Bear Trap is the best. Jeff

5. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Have read the advice on the various threads on this subject in the past and concluded that nobody really agrees on what works!

So I took a 20 gauge hull and filled it with shot, placed a drop of hot glue in the top of the shell and crimped it down. When the crimp dried and I knew there was no way the shot was going to come out all in side of my stock, I found a spring out of a drum brake piston that would fit the hole on my 682 and cut it in half. The 20 gauge shell is sandwiched between the two halves of spring in the hole on my stock, with each piece of spring barely compressed so the shell can easily move fore and aft to provide the same effect of a dead mule. Or at least add some weight to the stock, whatever the current theory is on this matter.

Total cost of the system, less than a dollar.

Does it work? I don't know if it does or not but my head thinks so and I keep hearing that 90% of this game is in your head, so I'll keep using my make-shift setup until Ken gets his "bump buster" on the market and then I'll probably get one of those.

Mr. Mark

6. doc boc

doc boc Member

I used the dead mule before using pfs it was superior to mercury and recoil reduction is excellent.
    doc

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have one attached to the front of an 870 magazine cap. I also have one of the weighted magazine caps you can buy from I-forget-where. I can actually tell a difference in the felt recoil when I exchange one for the other - the Dead Mule does dampen more recoil than the weighted cap, even though the cap is heavier.

Ed

8. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

FWIW the guy I bought my PFS Perazzi from went to a 'Dead Muled' Kreighoff and reckons he feels less recoil...he had the PFS as loose as it would go. I can't see it myself, but then I haven't shot his Kreighoff in case I like it. Cheers-Graham.

9. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

If the Dead Mule works so well, why are there so many used ones for sale?

Seems to me that if this item was a keeper and it out preformed all else, only the new ones would be for sale but then again that's just me a thinking! You know where my vote is!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.