1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DEAD MULE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Lither, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lither

Lither TS Member

Whick one works better: dead mule or a mercury reducer like a break-o?

I am going to buy one or the other but have no experiance with them.

opinions wanted, thanks

Len

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Well, my experince differs. I have a weighted magazine cap for my 870 and a Dead Mule attached to the original cap. Even though the weighted cap weighs more, the gun has slightly less felt recoil with the Dead Mule on it.

Ed

3. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

"Which one works better: dead mule or a mercury reducer?"

We all have an opinion and my experience is also different....I have also tried them both and I have come to believe that those that did not appreciate the mercury recoil suppressor did not use enough....I personally use the 16 oz tube in the rear of my stock....This has tamed the recoil and I experience no more split cheek when using heavy loads....Copy and paste the URL below into your browser search window.

http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/suppressors/index.htm#top

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

"plit cheek when using heavy loads"??? Goodness, sounds like a serious case of a stock which does not fit. Adding a pound of weight will help but run to someone who can help fit your stock. Competition shotguns should not slap your face no matter how heavy the loads. Jake

5. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have used the Dead Mule and now have the mercury in my Perazzi. I like both and can actually not tell any difference in any with the exception of the new Gracoil I have installed on the Ljutic I shoot. The Dead Mule weighs 7oz., most other mercury reducers weigh more. It is all weight really. I have used brass before and can tell no difference in any with the exception of the Gracoil or Counter- Coil. Roy

6. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

"jakearoo", thanks for the comment on my heavy loads but it was not on subject....The problem with my stock was taken care of some time back with Wenig fitting a "New American Stock" on my receiver, that along with the 16 oz mercury recoil reducer, it was like a new gun....You know where my vote is, thanks a lot and keep on breaking Clays.

7. mt

mt Member

BC, if Lither doesn't take it i will (if its in good shape and the model that fits a perazzi stock)

thanks XXm.tenenhaus@sbcglobal.netXX

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Remember, Dead Mules aren't mercury reducers - they have a spring-loaded weight that moves inside the tube. My only possible objection to mine is a buzzing or tuning fork-like noise when I shoot, but it's really not all that noticeable.

Ed

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

First is weight and in second place is weight.

10. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

weight is the only thing that will work, all else is hype.

11. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Bear Trap is best, John Allem personally showed me how. He had a yardstick attached to a workbench and took a Mercury reducer and held it at 18 inches ,then told me to see how far it bounced back up when he dropped it. about, 6 inches. then the Dead Mule , about 3 inches then the Bear Trap from 18 inches it stuck to the floor no bounce. I have one in my K-gun and would not trade it for any thing but J.S. air cushion Hydro-coil. The only pain is in the installation,it must be parallel to the bore to be 100% effective. A little more expensive but the best always does. Jeff

12. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

I never did understand why putting a spring in front of the weight would help. If the recoil is sufficient to compress the spring by the mass of the movable weight, the spring will slam the weight to the rear after compresson.

And if the recoil is not sufficient to move the weight, why have the spring?

Putting the spring behind the movable weight does what? As far as I see, it does nothing. So we are left with total weight as the only benefit.

If so, a lead pipe full of shot would get the job done.

13. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

yeah weight is the only thing that really does anything, what i do is stick a empty hull gill it with shot and shove it on top of the spring where the magazine cap is it works kinda like a plug too get 4 oz in the end can make a bit a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adding a mercury tube to a ljutic