1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Mule question.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have a Dead Mule I picked up from someone here on ts.com a long time ago. Forgot I had it. I'm thinking about installing it in a gun, but the label is almost completely peeled off. My question is... which end goes towards the muzzle and which end towrds the butt? One end of the Dead Mule is drilled and tapped, the other is blank. I notice when holding it, and striking one end, there is a "click" while doing the same on the other end produces no noise.

2. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I believe the end with the threaded hole goes toward the butt because to take it out of the stock you would thread a bolt into that hole and pull.

tom

3. Brian in Oregon

Well now that makes perfect sense. Thanks, Tom.

4. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Fits real nice inside of a Graco length of pull recoil pad. Just need to have the hole drilled deep enough.

5. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I might be getting it mixed up with another brand recoil reducer but I think the color of the Dead Mule tells if it is for a RH shooter or a LH shooter. I had a gold colored one and that was for RH. Believe the blue colored was for LH. The owner of Recoiless Engineering explained this to me and the units operation a few years ago. Interesting device.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Brian.... The threaded end goes towards the pad.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

C and H mercury recoil reducers are the best or a peace of brass or lead work good also a dead mule is not the best but will reduce some recoil.

8. dospa

dospa TS Member

Inside the dead mule reducer there is a weight and two springs. One spring is
    shorter than the other.Which spring should be on the recoil pad end?...
    Tom

9. Brian in Oregon

I was fiddling with an empty shotgun shell, and noticed the diameter of the Dead Mule was the same diameter as the rim of the shell. It looks like the Dead Mule will fit inside a mag tube. The threaded end could go towards the cap, and with a hole in the cap and a bolt, the Dead Mule could be attached rigidly. Is the Dead Mule bi-directional or uni-directional?

10. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Ajax I believe you are correct. Best I stick with bird hunting huh?

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Brian from what I can tell from their website there are three Dead Mules. One with a hole all the way through the center that goes in the stock and allows the use of a stock wrench.

Also the other two are threaded on one end there is one for the Berreta 303 auto and replace the forend nut the other is for the Berreta 390 same deal.

I put the website above you can check it out.

Bob Lawless

12. Brian in Oregon

Bob, that's interesting. I must have an older, discontinued model, because it has mercury in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dead mule recoil reducer forum

installing a dead mule in a shotgun

installing dead mule recoil reducer