1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Mule or a Graco Recoil Reducer

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shotslinger, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotslinger

shotslinger Member

Which is better?? a Dead Mule or a Graco (Breako) recoil reducer?? I am having a new stock built and would like your opinion on the subject. I am not exactly sure how each product works to reduce recoil, so any information would be appreciated

2. 682LINY

682LINY Member

never used a dead mule,,,,I had a gracoil put on at Pa state shoot,,,,had 1400 targets and 94 avg,before,,,scince than 900 targets 96.5 avg,,,,I like gra coil

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

My experience has been the same as 682LINY. A friend took my Kolar up and had a Gracoil installed for me by Mark Dupree at the PA shoot. Since it's return I have 1. Shot my first 100 in singles along with a 99 and 2 98's. 2. Gained 2 1/2 handicap yards with a 98, a 97 and a 93 (all wins) 3. Increased my doubles scores by about 8 birds.
    The dead mule uses mercury that is free to move around in a cylinder that is installed in your butt stock. The weight of the unit provides "most" of the recoil reduction with the sloshing mercury providing some additional dampening of the momentum of the stock.
    The Gra-coil has a central spring that the butt plate rides on. When the gun is fired the spring absorbs some of the force as it compresses. There is I believe 5/8" of compression.
    The dead mule can be added to most stocks without needing to cut the stock. The Gra-coil requires that the stock be shortened to allow the collapsible butt plate to work with your original LOP.

--- Chip King ---

4. oletymer

oletymer Member

The Graco BreakO is a mercury reducer like the Dead Mule it is not the Gracoil unit. Both will give you a little reduction primarily due to their weight. If it were me I would install a thick Kickeez or Limbsaver pad instead. They are both good at absorbing kick.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

oletymer is correct. I misread your post. There is little if any difference between the two units you asked about.

--- Chip King ---

6. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

As far as in the stock recoil reducers, I prefer the Dead Mule. I have them in all my trap guns.

Dale

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If there is much difference it would be primarly in how each effects ballance.
    Who is building your stock? Ask them they probably have one or the other on hand to install.
    Joe

8. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Got rid of my Dead Mule because it altered the gun's balance & replaced it with a Limb-saver Grind to Fit
    recoil pad that does the job. The pad cost $30 at Sportsman's Warehouse & installation by a gunsmith cost $60.

9. BBowen

BBowen Member

Correction. The Dead Mule does not contain any mercury. It contains two springs and a weight and weighs approximately 7 oz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dead mule recoil reducer

dead mule recoil reducer forum
dead mule recoil reducer review
graco breako
graco breako mercury recoil reducer
installing dead mule recoil reducer
installing graco breako in synthetic stock
mule or mercury recoil reducer