1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

De-solder shotgun rib

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hoser, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoser

hoser Member

I have an old shotgun with a rib that is coming off at a few points. I want to remove the rib.

I have a oxy-ace torch set-up, but I've only done steel welding and brazing with it, and never any silver soldering.

It also has a few lugs and other parts that I don't want to remove.

I wonder if I should heat the barrel in a furnace first, then use the broad torch flame to finish heating the posts until the rib comes loose.

Anyone with experience with this is welcome to reposnd.

HoseR

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that the old shotgun barrels were soft soldered. I remember an article about heating up those old 3/4 round steel slugs and sliding them in to the chambers to soften the solder.

I know thats clear as mud!!

3. Ray Zeilinger

Ray Zeilinger Member

I used to work at Moneymaker Guncraft in the early 70's and did alot of rib work. If the rib is soft-soldered, you can heat it a bit with the torch and pull the rib off. If it is silver soldered, you will have to cut it off and finish the job with a file. It will take to much heat to melt all of the silver solder, and you would probably end up with a warped barrel.

There might also be a shallow groove cut into the barrel where the side of the rib and barrel meet, from the manufacturing clean up. When we pulled the ribs off of Brownings they were always grooved. Alot of work to clean it up enough to install a new Moneymaker rib....

Ray

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Your acetylene torch is too hot to work on the gun with! It's 3000 degrees, silver solder melts a various temps, most approx. at 1100 degrees for gun work. If you do it yourself, use a propane torch with care but if I were you, I'd follow Rays advice, cut and file. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

melt off shotgun rib

moneymaker ribs shotgun

moneymaker shotgun ribs

resolder barrel ribs

resoldering shotgun ribs

sliver solder rib on 1100 shotgun

soldered gun ribs