1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

De-Ignoritize me Chokes, please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The Brits, the inventors of chokes have always been short taper and never have a parallel section. I have choked guns from the 1870s through made-yesterday and they're the same profile.

Teague chokes are tapered, but no parallel section. Wright's <i>lead</i> chokes do not have a parallel section. People talk in hushed tones when they speak of Geo Teague or Stu Wright ...

Briley, Wilkinson, Allor, Eyster ... all have parallels of varying lengths - and presumably for different reason & logic?

Are parallel sections desirable? Do they make any difference in patterns? string length? 'evenness'?

One opinion I have heard more than once is that larger shot (presumably 'hunting' shot v. 7½/9?)profits substantially from a fairly long parallel.

Are there readings abt choke theory/design anybody can recommend?

Bob

2. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Winchester spent a lot of time and money long years ago, designing their chokes. Their design is still used today and copied by most to some degree. Without testing every variation of load, choke, bbl diameter, and on and on how can one be truly sure? The Model 12 will still shoot with the best of them -- hard to improve on that.......merlyn

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Merlyn, what is the M12's profile?

4. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

You want to learn about chokes and cutting choke angles and parallel chokes, barrel work and effect ?
    Talk to Jim or Ken Eyster and they can educate you in a hurry.
    Heritage Gunsmiths...their web site was under construction but they sometimes visit this site.
    Please call them for the info you seek.

6441 Bishop Rd
    Centerburg, OH 43011-9420

Phone: (740) 625-6131

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I thought the Wrights chokes used the winchester profile, and that teague was the only one currently making production taper chokes?

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The three Wrights I just measured - 2,3,&5 _ seemed to have about 3/8 inch of parallel, but my bore gauge is a bit sticky which means it could be a bit longer or shorter, but it _is_ there.

Neil

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Oh, man, sportshot, you are in for a treat! That's just what a bore gauge will do. You will have profile theories coming out your ears in a week; no one to talk to at the club in two.

Neil

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Several years ago there was a series of articles in Shotgun Sports, I think. The writer and his (gunsmith) made and tested chokes all winter long.

The upshot according to that article was that there were 2 important things affecting choke performance.

1- The leade angle (entry) was optimized at 1 & 1/2 degrees. Steeper angles did not perform as well, and no gain was realised from more shallow angles.
    I could be wrong about the exact angle, but that's the substance.

2. The parallel section was found to be best when it was as long as the shot charge in the barrel. (one would assume that heavier loads would therefore need more parallel.)

Sorry I don't remember more, but those 2 things were the most important parts of the whole series of articles.

Maybe someone else can recall these articles.

HM

9. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

If I remember what Allor told me was you need a parallel section equal to the barrel id.
    My perazzi fixed choke barrel has a 6" lead to the choke and about 3/4" parallel.
    It seems that for screw chokes the difference in id of the barrel and the skirt of choke makes a difference. Kerry backbored a barrel for me where the diff was 5thou per side to 1.5 per side and it improved the pattern significantly. Very close to a fixed choke barrel.
    As far as hard shot, how much antimony? Antimony is lighter than lead, but holds the round shape of the pellet. The brits use 3%. We call mag shot 5 or 6%.
    Any body see the patterns thrown by heavy shot? Many competitions have been won with the tight groups from heavy shot and the stuff looks like slag.
    Seems like weight is more important than shape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.