1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

de-cocking crossbow

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have a Barnett crossbow that is supposed so shoot about 350 fps. Nice weapon but a little heavy. The problem I have is de-cocking the thing when i come in from the woods. I've been shooting it into the ground, using an old arrow and target tip. I've ruined three of them now by hitting rocks and roots. It seems that there should be an easier method. I can't do it using the cocking string becaause of the poundage of the bow. It takes a pretty big grunt to cock it. I'm afraid of the string being ripped out my hands if I try to de-cock that way. Bill Wheeler

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Hi Bill: There is a way to do it.If you get the crank assembly,you can use it to pull the string back and to let it down when your done hunting.The last time I looked,I think they were about 85-95$,other than that your kind of stuck with what you been doing,just don't aim for the rocks..Ray p.s have a barnett and a ten point of my own,and I carry a junk arrow with me just for that reason.

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If you have a Barnett Commando like this one which is self cocking you would just recock and while in that position full the trigger then uncock.
    toolmaker251_2008_030351.jpg

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Get a big bag of sand. The should so what you need. Just keep it in a tub to catch any sand that will come out so you can reuse it in time.

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Of course I'm not going to aim at rocks!! It's the buried ones that are the problem. Think I'll try the sandbag deal. thanks all Bill

6. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

The way I use to do it was to get a good grip on the bow string ... pull the trigger and let it down ... if you can cock it by hand you should be able to do it this way

7. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Just asking could you pull the trigger with no arrow loaded???

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

No - dry-firing any bow will eventually damage it. I use a small embankment to shoot my "unloading" arrow into.

Bill, I hear what you're saying about your crossbow being heavy. When I was shopping for one a few years ago, bow weight and trigger quality were two of my primary concerns. Just about every one felt heavy compared to a Parker and when I discovered that the Parker trigger feels almost like that of a bolt-action rifle, I bought one - a 150-pound Terminator. I harvested three deer with that one but last year, I sold it and replaced it with a 165-pound Parker Tornado.

By the way, are sure you don't mean that your bow's draw weight is 150 pounds, not 350?

Ed

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Ed, I believe that he said the speed was 350 FPS. I have a Barnett and I hold on tight and pull the trigger, not easy but works. If I'm hunting near home I just remove arrow until I get home, reinsert a field point and shoot it into a target. Jackie B.

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The draw poundage is around 175, fps 350. I can cock it using a cocking string, but as I said, not easily. Theres no way I will try to de-cock it the same way. Mainly because it takes 2 hands to operate the string, leaving nothing to pull the trigger. I'll just have to be more careful where I aim. I don't like transporting it cocked. It can't fit in the case that way and I'm not sure it's even legal. Probably I'll eventually get a crank cocker. I'll ask for one for christmas and let my wife ask around for one. Genius!! life is good. Bill Wheeler

11. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I assume when you say cocking string, you mean a cocking aid, which is a rope with 2 hook do-dads, and handles on the ends. I shoot a 200# draw Excalibur, and de-cock it with the cocking aid. It's a little scary the first time, but you put the hooks on the string, and with all the aid rope drawn out to your right hand, iffin your right handed. The aid rope goes across the back of the bow to cause friction. Pull as hard as you can with your right hand, while pulling the trigger with your left hand. There will be a sudden jolt, but as long as you keep pressure on the cocking rope with your right hand, the friction of the cocking rope across the rear of the bow will let the string fall forward under control. Then just leave the cocking aid on the bow for the next time you want to cock it.(OF COURSE, TAKE THE ARROW OUT FIRST.) The first time you try this put a pillow between the bow limbs and the cocked string in case it gets away from you, the string will slap the pillow with no harm to the bow. After you de-cock it this way a few times, it becomes a piece of cake. Like I say, the first couple of times it's a tad scary. Google the Excalibur Crossbow web site and watch the video of how it's done. Other than this method, some guys carry a target block in the back of their car/truck to shoot into at days end. F/S.

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

What I do is to shoot the bolt in a target block that I carry in the truck bed.
    It is the easyest way and safest for you and the bow. John

13. Donm

Donm Active Member

Ed. I'm thinking about going to a cross bow this year. At most stores you can feel the weight and how it feels but most don't have a place to try them out. I'm thinking the trigger is very important. Which bows do you think have the better trigger's? I've been thinking of Parker, Horton, and Tenpoint.
    I shoot a Mathew's now but my shoulder and elbow are getting to bad to pull much longer. I heard a rumor that Mathews was going to come out with a crossbow.

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I apologize for misreading his 350fps as pounds. It was early and I read the post in a hurry.

Don, if you do some research, your learn that Parker triggers are at least among the best, if not THE best. Their website used to (and I'm sure it still does) show their trigger linkage and how it adds leverage to your finger. When you consider that there is 150 or more pounds of pressure being applied to the hook (which for all intents is a trigger sear) holding the string back, you can understand why most crossbows have ugly trigger pulls.

The trigger is what attracted me to Parker and when I narrowed my choices to two, I called both companies for some detailed info. At Parker, a live human being answered the phone and it happened to be a bow builder who answered my questions very well. At the other company, I received the usual recording suggesting I leave a message, which I did. It took so long for the return call to come that I had already purchased the Parker when it did.

Most competitive bow dealers have an indoor test-firing range where you can shoot their demo bows. I strongly suggest you do that instead of taking anyone's word for how a bow shoots (mine included). Bows are very different than rifles as there is more physical interaction between the tool and the shooter. I bought my first Parker at Gander Mountain because they were having a Parker demo day and were offering discounts on them. The Gander employee took me upstairs to their range and let me shoot the bow I would be buying before I made the commitment.

Three years later, when I was ready to buy my Tornado, I checked Parker's website to see when their next demo day for this area was scheduled. It was a month later at the nearby Bass Pro Shop and when the Parker reps on hand realized I was a returning customer, one of them actually spent a half-hour or more with me in the range sighting it in for me.

As far as weight goes, pick up all the ones you're considering and let your hands and arms be the judge. Balance can be as important as gross weight.

I'm obviously high on Parker but I'm a sucker for good customer service. They shoot well, too. I have a three-dot red-dot sight on mine that can either glow in red or green and with it sighted-in at 20 yards using Parker arrows and three-blade Rage or G5 T3 mechanical broadheads, it hits within an inch of the aiming points at 30 and 40 yards from a benchrest. You have a choice of a 2x (or 4x?) scope or the non-magnifying "dot" sight - at a maximum range of 50 yards, I haven't needed magnification and prefer the huge field of view of the "dot" sight.

Ed

15. Donm

Donm Active Member

Thanks for the all the info Ed.

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Shoot the bolt straight up in the air. Maybe it'll drop on the right category.

17. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Alright, get your hands up on that wall and spread em. It's the "Category Police." Yes Sir, No Sir, whatever you say, Sir.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barnett comando

barnett commando crossbow replacement limb

barnett crossbow commando how to cock

barnett crossbow de-cocking arrow

crossbow commando 2

crossbows barnett comando

de cocking a crossbow

which way to point hooks on a crossbow cocking aid