1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DBL Star AR-15

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TALLEND, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Anyone have any dealings with the Dbl Start Company??primarily in reference to their AR-15 rifles???

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Geez, I'm into AR15's and I've never heard of them.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

hows about the charles daly AR15?

4. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Double star stripped lowers are fun, but I would avoid buying an assembled rifle from them. Spend a little money and step away from the CD, DS, or Olympic rifles.

Hell, you can buy a 'bargain bin' CMMG M4 clone for $675 and it's twice the rifle any of the ones previously listed are.

Check out www.ar15.com and do some reading. Your best bet is to do a build. You can customize the parts to what YOU want the gun to do, what caliber, barrel length, etc.

And it's going to be cheaper than buying a new assembled gun.

5. bambambam

bambambam Member

Sam,
    What is wrong with Olympic rifles? My Olympic will uot shoot my buddy's Bushmaster any day of the week.Plus it is not picky about the ammo I feed it.Never have had a jam or misfire.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There is nothing wrong with Olympic Arms AR15 rifles as a whole. But, they are not milspec. In the bad old days, after they took over from SGW, they started casting their lower receivers. Casting is inferior. These guns turn up used, and many have no clue what the visual differences are between cast and forged. Front sight towers are also often cast with Oly guns. This makes them much more vulnerable to breakage. Oly really put themselves on the map in the old days because it was simply a lot easier to get parts from them for building guns than Colt, plus you didn't have that pesky oversize takedown pin problem with Oly. Another thing that boosted Oly sales was that their guns were very nicely priced. That's not the case anymore, and you can get better for the same or a bit more money. DPMS has taken this niche away from Oly.<br>
    <br>
    I've seen plenty of Oly guns that have had a couple of decades of hard service on them. And I've seen some dogs. It was very common in the old days to junk the Oly internals and install milspec parts.<br>
    <br>
    One thing that Oly does do a very good job on is their stainless steel Ultramatch barrel. I've got an old Oly flat top upper with this barrel, and it's accurate. I just don't think it's worth getting the rest of the gun to have one, and you can get a Wilson air gaged barrel from Rock River Arms, target and varmint/predator barrels from Bushmaster, and others, at prices that compete with the Oly.<br>
    <br>
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Oly rifle if it was in halfway decent shape, had a forged lower, and was a smokin' deal. My XM177E2 clone is an early Oly/SGW (when both names appeared on it) and it was such a hot deal that I thought the gun oil was going to spontaneously ignite. Had some problems, but I think that was due to an idiot previous owner who had no clue how to fix an AR15. Would I buy a new Oly? Sure, if the price was closer to what DPMS wants. I would not pay the same price for it as a Bushmaster or RR. I would NOT buy a cast Oly unless it was priced like a parts gun and had parts I could use.

7. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Ok I started with a Colt SP1(pre-ban)----bought a dbl Star "varmit upper" 24"stainless 1-8 twist-----didnt know that the hinge pin(screw hole in the upper)was smaller,and took an offsetbushed pin,if I had known at the time of purchase,I might have gone a different way------------not happy--it works with some tinkering but--------I can buy a complete D/S rifle for 200.00 under retail, that will eliminate the pin problem-----next,what are the pin diameters of the trigger assembly(D/S)----my colt has the .154(that is also the pin diameter on the Timney trigger) --------so you say its cheaper to build your own????

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

any other info

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I just purchased a Rock River with a stainless bull 24" barrel, 1/8 twist. What weight bullet or type would work best in it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.