1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DBL Powder charge...have you shot or seen one?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Longhorn, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I have heard of people reloading who have mistakenly double charged a shell with powder. I have never witnessed this occurrence. What happens? Damage to gun? Injury to shooter?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it with shotshells. I'm not sure how it is possible to jam that much powder in a shell and actually get it to crimp. I have tried to make such a shell just to see how it would look and ended up with a bunch of spilled shot and a buckled shell that would never fit into a chamber. Other people will tell you that not only is it possible but they actually
    'used to' shoot such rounds on purpose with no problems. (I don't buy that)

I have seen it with pistols though. The end result was a ruined gun and minor injuries to the shooters hand. Easy to see how a series injury could occur.

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I, too, tried loading a shell (Win AA) with a double powder charge of Clays powder. When I seated the wad, the petals were almost protruding out the end of the open shell.

I didn't even attempt to drop the shot into the wad cup and crimp it because I didn't want to spill shot all over my loading machine and loading bench. I don't see any way that a typical shotshell could be double charged with powder and then loaded with a wad and shot and not be as obvious as the nose on your face.

Some people allege that the "legs" of the wad will collapse when loaded over a double powder charge, but that didn't happen when I did it, or if it did, the legs sprung back to their original position so fast that I couldn't tell it happened.

Easystreet

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Years ago I was on a business trip. My dear wife decided to load some sheels on my PW 800. At the time I was using 700X powder & AA components. When I arrived home she told me of all the problems and that she had called a fellow shooter in to help get the loader to work. They called PW and got it back in time. I went to a shoot with a case (500) of reloads, I had 2 or 3 with no powder, a couple with no shot. When what was quite obvious a double load, the top lever blew over but no bbl. damage I went in and bought a case of new shells and threw away the rest of what the little woman reloaded. She swore she did not increase my life insurance.

5. clays

clays TS Member

I have a Weatherby that blew up on a friend using his reloads with red dot (he has never loaded anything but 12 ga. shotgun and has never had any powder other than red dot) he sent the gun to weatherby and they sent it back to him C.O.D. with a note that said it wasn't thier fault but an overcharged reload. He doesn't shoot anymore and said he didn't believe there was any way to make a load with red dot that would blow up an O/U shotgun. I do still have the gun.

Clays

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I did once. It gave a hell of a kick, was very loud , a little fire came out of the barrel and I nearly shxt my pants. I was using Win. super lite.Mike

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Was on the line a few yers back, next to a kid (13 or 14) whose dad reloaded his shells for him.

Kid wore no glasses. I lectured the father about it, who blew me off. "Aw, he don't need them."

At one point during the round, he had a blooper that obviously had no powder in it.

I thought nothing of it.

About 2 shots later, I'm watching him shoot and, BOOOOOM.

Nearly knocked him over. Everybody stopped to look.

Obviously, that's where the powder from the blooper went...

The bolt of the gun (Browning Gold, as I recall) had opened, flung the hull, then slammed back shut. They couldn't get it open, so he stopped shooting that round.

About a half hour later, he's back shooting, still no glasses. Apparently they got the bolt open and figured everything was peachy.

Good thing for them stupid doesn't hurt.

8. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

Had one once several years ago with 700X in my Ljutic. Made a lot of noise, kicked like hell, scared the devil out of my buddies on the squad, but never hurt the gun at all.

Jim

9. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

I have tried to intentionally load a double charge with red dot/Promo-not enough room to get it crimped. However, it can be done with Titegroup-very dense. Roger

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I could see the possibility with a ball powder but not with 700X, Red Dot and such due to interior room. If shell was loaded and crimped I would think that either the crimp or a bulge above powder would indicate something being wrong.

11. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

I'm one of the dummy's that have managed to load a double charge of 700X into an AA hull. I was just starting out and at the time I was using a Rem. 11-87 and was using a MEC 650 to reload. I shot and watched the shot dribble out of the barrel, about 4 shots later had a hell of a bang that startled everyone. No damage to gun, squad-mates or me (except for my ego). HarryC

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I don't know about the rest of the powders out there, but it is definitly possible with TiteGroup. I inadvertantly double charged 2 shells (cps' load) and let me tell you it was an attention getter. 36 gr of TiteGroup sure does hit hard even when shooting an 870 Comp.

ec90t

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Just finished trying to double charge with two powders, red dot and 700X. To actually double charge either of these in AA's one would have to use a WAA12R which in so doing none of the other reloads would be desireable. No way an WAA12 and its many copies could be fit.

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

We had a kid in our club lock up a 1400 Winchester. It literally kicked the girl shooting it off the station, and the primer looked like it had been fired in a 300 Mag. The case was badly swelled up. I had to wang the bolt open and knock the case out of the barrel with a rod. Old style AA hull, and an obvious reload.

Thank heavens the Winchester action had been tested at 40,000 PSI when it was made. A different gun might have told a different tale.

This caused us to ban reloads when the club or team practices. Since some of the kids are of age, they did not like it, but, in this case, it was my way or the highway.

15. dzeh

dzeh Member

There's an interesting article in Sporting Clays magazine on the subject. I believe it may be either the current or the previous issue. Shows a pic of a badly damaged shotgun and explains how a double charge may have occurred when reloading.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I just tried to load a double charge of Red Dot, Green Dot and American Select in AA hulls. Even my hydraulic PW press could not push the shells closed. I now have a mess around my reloader and have to take out the dies from three stations and drive out the shells with a punch. Shot is still too expensive to spill on the bench and floor.

Pat Ireland

17. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I just started reloading last month and my first bunch one of them must of had more powder than the others maybe not double but at least 1 1/4. I was on station 5 practicing and it went POP !!! and the recoil was big. I smoked the target and looked down the line to see if anyone had noticed and no one did. No damage to the gun at all just a big BOOM. It was great :).

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

widomaker,
    Have an experienced reloader over to view how you reload and give you some guidance.

A shell with no powder can happen and no one gets hurt. A shell with a double charge is more difficult to accomplish but someone could get hurt.

A shell with something between a single charge and a double charge would be very rare, and points to a problem other than a "simple" mistake. What kind of reloader are you using?

Your name (with the addition of another w) may be a harbinger of things to come.

Don

19. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

A couple of years ago, I experienced a double or triple load. I was using 700X
    in a PW2000. It destroyed my SS BT100. Never figured out what had happened.
    Don

20. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have done it twice on my 650 mec. 34.4 grains of 700X with a clay buster 1 1/8 ounce AA type wad and 1 1/8 ounce of 7 1/2 shot. The crimp looks funny and stressed, but it loads and fires easily. My 1100 took it both times. I finally figured out what was happening and put two springs on my loader to reassure that the bar returned all the way on the stroke. I then measured out 34 grains of 700X and ran the shell through the loader. If you were not paying attention to the crimp you would miss it. Trust me it works. It may in fact crush the wad, but it fits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.