1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DB-81 vs MX-8

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Carol S, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carol S

Carol S TS Member

Could anyone tell me the differences between the DB-81 and the MX-8? I have an older MX-8 o/u but I'm interested in finding a matched combo.

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The higher rib on the DB81 gives you the feeling that you are shooting a high POI gun. But most DB81s I have seen actually shoot lower than a MX8. MX8 will shoot a tad over 60/40 with beads stacked. Top CA shooter Aaron Holguin shoots a MX8. I do not know of anyone shooting a DB81 to winning scores.

Other than that, your query is too broad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are Perazzi catalog file photos. 99.99% of the used guns you will find will be altered from the originals you see above.

3. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Someone told me that the DB81 was designed for Dan Bonillas(SP?) hence,DB 81. I don't think he shot it very well. I know one guy that shoots a DB81 really well..most others do not........SMOKIT

4. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

DB81's were higher rib guns in a time when most shooters were still shooting low ribs. By today's standards, the ribs are quite modest. The rib is a fixed height, so you adjust your comb and go from there.

With a lower rib than a TMX, which was greeted with acclaim, the rib height issue is today really a non issue. Certainly lower than the more recent Pgun adjustable rib options. Consider them ahead of their time.

Really DB81's are MX8's with higher fixed ribs. If you like a higher fixed rib top single/combo, you may well love them.

My understanding isthat they were designed for Dan Bonillas, who had been shooting a MX3 Special (a relatively high rib as well), after spending time with the DB81, he eventually went back to the MX3 Special - which makes sense. If you are a successful world class shooter, why change your equipment?

A model no longer offered in the catalog, although I assume still available for custom order, it's not likely that you'll find the factory sponsored level shooters competing with them. Manufacturers want their representatives shooting models that 'ordinary' shooters can see and order. Don't let that throw you though, there are lots of models that are wonderful but not still available (TM1 and KX5 come to mind). When you read posts about the 'high' rib on a DB81, look at current trap offerings by the major competition gun manufacturers - and chuckle...

Try one if you can, you may well feel like it was designed for you. Good luck!

ps.
    If you find one you like (or want to try a DB81 o/u barrel on an MX), let me know, I've got a Seitz modified DB81 31.5" o/u which I'll part with.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'd speak to Trap2 Dan.. He's gone full circle with them.. and now shoots a MX3 Special..

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Carol S... The DB-81 was, indeed, designed for Dan Bonillas. They are a very nice handling gun, however, they are notorious for shooting dead flat. Dan shot, and stll does, his MX3 (I don't believe it was a "Special") extremely well, and it was, as I understand, a 50/50 gun. Hence the DB-81 shooting flat. I have had several of them and enjoyed them all. The only one I shot well was one that I got to shoot 3" high at 13 yards (80/20). As I got older, I found that I shoot better scores with my eyes closer to the rib so I changed to the MX-3 Special. Best move I ever made, in my opinion. There was really only one shooter that ever shot one really, really, well in competition: Roger Smith. You can look him up in the ATA Hall of Fame. He told me he had Tom Sietz set up his barrels to shoot 100% high so he could shoot it... Best advice I can give you is to shoot them both and see which one feels the best to you. Bear in mind that there are a lot more MX8's in the winners circle than DB81's. I was stubborn enough to believe I could make it work, but, it just didn't happen.... Good luck in whatever choice you make... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

All American shooter Dr. Laura Winkel does very well indeed with her DB81 combo.

8. Carol S

Carol S TS Member

Thanks, guys, for your help. My story is, I have an older MX-8 o/u that I like. However, because I've had trouble finding a good single barrel for it, I am now wishing I'd bought a matched combo, so I'm looking around again. I also ran across a Grand American 2 combo in good shape and the info I've found so far leads me to believe that it's basically an MX-8.

Dan, since you are the fount of P-gun knowledge, what do you know about the Grand American 2? -Carol

9. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

I do not agree that most DB-81 guns shoot flat. A bunch of us all had them and they all shot 70/30. I still prefer it over all the others and it is the one I shoot regularly. Orignal guns all came with two triggers and two forearms. Our group all had Tom Seitz do the chokes and porting, because back then the full chokes were super tight - sometimes .045 - .050. Seitz typically did the single barrel at .034-.035 and the doubles at .020 & .030.

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Carol.. Stick with the MX-8 O/U and keep looking for a single barrel. They come up for sale here on a regular basis, both Type III & Type IV. The Grand American guns are a better bunker/flyer gun than a trap gun. Don't get me wrong here. All Perazzi shotguns are great guns. The best thing about your MX-8 is you already know how to shoot the gun. Be patient and a barrel will come along... Just my opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a top single 34 inch type 4 barrel with factory choke tubes for sale

Gene

12. Carol S

Carol S TS Member

It's a type 3. The first single I bought was a type 4 because I was stupid and didn't know what I needed. Learning curve. I recently bought a 34" top single which appeared to be in great condition and came with its own forend and had Lucio fit it to my receiver. After shooting a few rounds, poorly, I patterned it for POI. It shoots low and to the right. By "low" I don't just mean flat. It shoots 20/80--no I didn't accidentally reverse the numbers here. And it's not just me. I had someone else also shoot some rounds for patterning with the same results - 20/80 and definitely to the right. The barrel looks great and has not been altered, it's unmolested as they say. How does something like that happen to a barrel?
    It turns out that my bf is interested in having it for a skeet gun. It has tubesets for all 3 subgauges. So, that all feeds into my feeling that I should just start over with a matched combo. Oh, and the stock really doesn't matter to me cuz I shoot with a Precision Fit Stock. The PFS is the key to happiness for me.

13. pigeonator

pigeonator TS Member

Carol S If you are interested in a nice Perazzi gun go to Bulleye sporting and take a look at the MX3 that used to belong to me. All original and all it needs is a stock and forend. I know that stocker John in Oregon had a nice stock that would fit right on. It is here on trapshooter by bullseyebob. Allen Pinoli

14. Carol S

Carol S TS Member

Allen: Thx for the tip. I had looked at that post and would be interested if the o/u were 29-1/2" or 30". I am a petite 5'2" and a 32" o/u is too much for me.

15. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Hi Carol,
    I have a barrel that you might be interested in, fits a MX8. If you do an 'old search': mx unsingle barrel 34 You can read about it.
    email me at hilarry7@hotmail.com if you want.
    good luck,
    Larry

[​IMG]

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If the barrel you have shoots 20/80 have it bent by someone who knows what they are doing ... We have a local guy who uses his bumper hitch to change, alter, and modfiy barrels all the time ... 20/80 to 80/20 in about 2 minutes ... Amazing I tell you, simply amazing ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

db81 vs mx8

does a mx8 perazzi stock fit a db 81

shooting a db81

will an mx8 trigger fit a db-81