1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Daytona 500?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Would like to hear what the race was like. I missed the race today. Wondering is Nascar as bad as ever.

Phil Berkowitz

2. KRK32

KRK32 Member

I usually dont watch nascar but I saw the last 40 laps there was plenty of wrecks and potholes reminded me of Cincinnati on a Friday afternoon. Kirk

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

WWF on wheels. I turned to the Chili Bowl midget races on Speed. lots more fun to watch.

HM

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The Peeble Beach golf match was more exciting....

Curt

5. oz

oz Active Member

they run it with fake cars. in the 60's & 70's they actually had to use PRODUCTION cars. now they take front wheel drive cars and drop a fiberglass body on a rear wheel drive chassis. probably still use carburators too. FAKE

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Fiberglass oz?

The cars may be a lot of things but they aren't fiberglass.

7. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

apparently snow removal equipment in daytona had uncovered potholes in the track the same way the snow removal equipment here in iowa has uncovered potholes in every freegin road in the state. dwain

8. atashooter

atashooter Member

Potholes, potholes, potholes..... For a while there I thought VDOT was doing track maintenance at Daytona...

9. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Record ;ead changes, record different leaders. NASCAR changed some of the rules this year to let racing get back to racing not follow the leader. They have a ways to go but it was a vast improvement over past 500's. All in all a pretty good race for a change.

10. atashooter

atashooter Member

I agree XP, it had a bit more excitement this year.

11. white rattler

white rattler Member

Pretty sad. This is what it has come to. Trevor Dawe.

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

HM,

I'm with you. I already knew the results of the Chilli Bowl and it was still more entertaining than what was going on in Daytona.

ss

13. atashooter

atashooter Member

I would love to see a production car class. Use the old rule of 550 units must be built and available to the public in order for it to run. Minor changes like street tires to slicks, replace glass with Lexan, and seat change would be ok. Everything else stays factory ( including dash headliners, ect.). Most of all, no restrictors, Run what you Brung !! If you go over the wall, sucks to be you.

14. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the 500 but still believe that dirt is for racing and asphalt is for getting there.

15. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I tried to watch it, but every time I tuned in they were either working on the track or they were under yellow.

I would have liked to seen the Mustang pace car get out there and run with them. Since the car companies all have retros now, I would like to see em run Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers.

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Bisi,

They did that 40yrs ago. It was called the SCCA TransAm series. It was some of the greatest car racing the country has ever seen. Heck they even had a couple of AMC's in the mix as well. Oh, did I mention, not a single oval track was involved.

ss

17. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

short shucker, yeah I remember the TransAm series. That is where I fell in love with the 1970 Boss 302 Mustang.

18. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

OK, I sat in the top row of the Sprint Tower from 11:45am to see the prerace with Tim McGraw to the end at 7:30 something. It was very frustrating during those 2 Red Flags, but that was one heck of a finish and I am glad I was there to see it.

We saw Richard Petty Motorsports #9 lead and #43 come from the back to take over. We saw at one point Chev, Ford, Dodge, and Toyota running 1 through 4,didn't hear anyone suggest after the race that one manufacturer had an advantage.

And a finish that had a winner that no one expected, but there were about 30 drivers that could have won.

I walked the track from the start of the trioval back to the end of the "Super Stretch" on the morning of the race. That is one rough surface but saw nothing along there that would have let me think that the track would come apart.

One of the coldest Speedweeks in 26 years I have been attending.

Anyone that just watches on the TV would not understand. You have to be there.

19. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Cy-Kick,

Watch this and then let me know what you think of NASCAR.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8k8hJWKIVNs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8k8hJWKIVNs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I was there in INDY for the MOTO GP and saw this in person. Heck, I'm even in the video, but didn't know it until now.

ss

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Jr must have paid off the wall to keep it from jumping out in front of him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.