Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayton Daily News On ATA Move

5K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  nameisjoe 
#1 ·
By Jim Morris, Staff Writer

7:52 PM Saturday, February 4, 2012

VANDALIA — What amounts to the last brick in the once-proud Amateur Trapshooting Association’s stronghold is about to crumble and leave the Miami Valley.

Trapshooting, which at one time had the only world or national championship held in the Dayton area, left its Vandalia homegrounds when the Grand American Trapshooting Championships moved to Sparta, Ill. in 2006. Prior to that, the Grand had been held on the National Road grounds since 1924.

Last year the ATA extended its agreement with the state of Illinois, keeping it at the World Shooting Complex until 2026 with an option to extend its contract after that.

All that was left of the ATA was its offices at 601 W. National Road in the building that also houses the ATA Hall of Fame. Lynn Gipson, the new executive director of the ATA, announced recently the offices will soon be moving to Sparta. That will mean the loss of eight local jobs. One employee has decided to move to Sparta.

The building — with a few changes and updates — is the same one erected by some of Dayton’s leading industrialists, including Charles Kettering, Frederick B. Patterson and Frank Huffman in 1923. What happens to it after the ATA leaves? Don’t be surprised if it is torn down by the city, despite its history.

The ATA Hall of Fame probably will leave soon, too, although there is no building selected in Sparta for it to relocate its many artifacts.

Gipson filled the executive director’s position which had been vacant for more than a year. He will not relocate to this area, but will be moving to Sparta. One of his first assignments was to move the offices to Sparta.

“When I came here, I told the staff what was going to happen,” Gipson said. “I wanted everyone to know. I didn’t want any rumors going around. I told them we would be moving within the next couple of months.”

Gipson, 53, is multitalented. He operates a gun club north of Kansas City, owns a gun sales outlet and is half owner of a lead reclamation business. He has worked at the Grand, running the shootoffs, and was assistant tournament director last year. He is also developing new software for the ATA and the Grand.

He sold guns at the Grand in Vandalia two years and shot in 12 Grands here.

Gipson also hopes to grow the sport, which had its “glory years” in the 1990s and early 2000s.

“I don’t know that we will ever see participation like we had at one time in Vandalia, but I’ve learned that if you can work with what you’ve got and be successful, then everything else comes after that,” he said. “You can dream, but you have to be realistic.”

He said the encouraging sign is the large number of kids now shooting in various programs around the country.

Scholarship offered: Applications are being accepted for the annual Larry A. Hart Memorial Scholarship worth $500. Applicants must be Ohio residents who have graduated or will graduate from an accredited high school; any person who is or will be enrolled in an accredited college and will be pursuing a career in the field of law enforcement or natural resources.

To obtain a scholarship application, write to the Larry A. Hart Scholarship Committee, 120 Wayne Ave., Eaton, Ohio 45320, call (937) 456-5371 or visit dnr.state.oh.us/Default.aspx?tabid=19719.

The deadline for applications is March 15.

Outdoors columnist Jim Morris can be reached through his website at www.examiner.com/outdoor-recreation-in-dayton/jim-morris or by email at sports@DaytonDailyNews.com.

See less See more
#3 ·
He should have added a bit on why the ATA left in the first place, and the econmic hit that delivered to the Dayton area--ouch--pretty shameful of the elected leaders of that time, bet they wished they could revisit that decsion, espeically given the overall economic times that followed, having that little cash cow back would be nice.

#4 ·
(One line removed)

And looking at the ATA website contact list I see ten names, not counting the Executive Director, Now with one moving and eight local jobs being lost, somehow the math does not add up. Is there one of the listed who does not work in Ohio but somewhere else?

Posting edited 2-0702012

Since some people have objected to having the names posted, I have removed them from this posting. If anyone is interested the same information is available on the ATA web site.

#6 ·
Hey Bigdon,

Why does it bother you for information that is available publicly to be made public (again)? In case you have trouble counting, you may notice the article list eight Ohio jobs lost. There are 10 positions listed on the ATA website not counting the Executive Director. That does not account for two ATA jobs. Even if you presume, and the way the article is written, that is definitely a presumption, since a job holder going to Illinois is still a job lost in Ohio, there are ten jobs lost in Ohio. Not stated is how many jobs are being created in Illinois. Will the office staff positions, in Illinois, be cut by one compared to the Ohio staffing?

Oh yes, since ATA dues and fees are paying for these jobs, and since relocation expenses for employees are sometimes paid by the company, in this case the ATA, it would be nice for members to know if and what is being paid for.

P.S. Some of your posts show a lack of comprehension. This might just be the leading post of your in that lack of comprehension area. Your insults also show an inability to respond to facts.

#7 ·
I'm over it. We still have Camp Perry. I stick my pistol back in the box, put on my trunks and go jump in Lake Erie for a cool down. Life is still good...in Ohio.

(They don't have a Marion's Pizza yet in Port Clinton...but with any luck, by the time I'm 80, it could happen).

#9 ·
How many times do companies consolidate operations?! ATA operations should be in proximity to its venue - not required, but shows a continued commitment to the community (Sparta).

In all fairness, not to slight the employees per se, a fresh start may bring opportunities for efficiencies, which otherwise, might not be obtainable... office with a clean slate to allow Gipson to put his mark on the operation from day one - with fresh hires...

JMO...

Jay

#10 ·
pyrdek: Do you think you are a cub reporter breaking a news story.

Really what business is it of yours or mine on who is going and who is staying? Do you think the measely dues you pay entitles you to know the daily decisions that go on with the ATA. Maybe they should clear it with you before they make an announcement. Oh god the number of employees and the number printed in the paper don't match, a calamity let's hold an investigation, sounds like a cover up.

I am sure you have better things to do than be concerned about this.

Have a good day.

Don

#13 ·
Hey Nutso, Why did the ATA leave in the first place? I'm from Michigan and would like to know. I attended the Grand in the 1970's and would like to start again but am now having some health issues. Aside from that, Vandalia was an easy drive away also was really easy to attend when I was employed by Delphi.

#14 ·
BIGDON,

I would have thought you had better things to do than comment on ANOTHER thread you hate.

Face it Don. You love to hate. LOL

Most of your threads have the theme that this is a stupid thread or post and then again there you are. HATE--HATE--HATE

And again later today or tomorrow it will be another thread that you hate. Maybe you need a 12 step group like haters anonymous, or I am an Old Fart that Hates Everything group. Look around Don. There has to be a group of hateful people that would love or hate to have you in their group. LOL

#15 ·
I don't pay dues because I'm a life member and I seldom contact the office of the ATA, but there could be many problems when they start over with new hires unless they have some experience and training already ... I'm sure Sparta has more then enough people with a back ground that it takes to operate the ATA office efficiently, or maybe not ... New hires need training, training takes time and costs money ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

#16 ·
Chuckie: I think the Airport was expanding, and the city board, or major or whomever was running the place was more than happy to get rid of it, for whatever reason, anti gun or something.

Pretty stupid, I'll bet, given the current state of economy they wish it was there with thousands of people flooding in to for 10 days to spend money on taxable things, like hotel rooms, food, entertainment etc.

#17 ·
Joe you definately have a reading comprehension problem. No where did I say or indicate that I disliked the thread. My dislike is for the less than remarkable comment.

My major dislike is for a dumb ass like you to make the comments you make. It would be an all day job following your path and correcting your comments. But then again you are all knowing and the perfect whatever in your own mind.

Don

#21 ·
Some of the Vandalia employees jobs may possibly be done by telecommuting....so not all is lost. Most of these folks have been loyal ATA employees for many years. I wish them well in their transition.

#22 ·
Rumor has it that the existing employees were offered a job at the new headquarters if they were willing to give up their homes and families and relocate where they have lived for the last 30 or 40 yrs. Or take a two week severance pay for the job that they have had for the last ? of years with the ATA. Does anyone know if this is true? I only hope they think more of the staff than that.

#24 ·
I see no shooter's benefit from posting names of any ATA office employees, or following their employment challenges on a blog designed to improving the enjoyment of trap shooting.

While I have no opinion on Big Don's previous or other postings, I think he is right, on this issue.

I am sensitive to people's name being posted or used on-line as a wedge to comment on ATA administrative or ATA management/political issues.

I wouldn't mind if this entire thread were removed by the site managers.

jack in PA

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.