1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

David: Can nothing be done?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Rollin Oswald, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

David;

Your once fine Website has deteriorated to a point where I stoppped advertising with you and rarely visit this site anymore. When I am asked a question that I cannot answer, I recommend the question be posed on http://www.shotgunworld.com where there are no nut-cases. There is a very good reason that Jay calls SGW "the friendliest shooting forum on the net." Any flaming thread is immediately deleted by Jay or a moderator.

Religeous, political, conservative/progressive topics and all the other opinionated threads not relating to trap shooting, in my opinion, do not belong here. Sorting through the trash has become more trouble than it's worth.

Please consider doing something to prevent and eliminate the trash threads.

Rollin

2. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

SGW is extremely biased. Jay and his moderators suck.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

+1 to Rollin. Second post is just a case in point. Even when viewing in Category view, it takes time to sort through the nonshooting related threads, that posters seem to think the forum rules don't apply to their pet sale, cause, or political slant. By the way, buy Rollin's Stock Fitting Bible. Great book. :) See you on SGW. Mark

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Eh, Rollin, this is a "forum" you don't have to open any questionable threads.

I am on Shotgun world, the "crazes" are there too.

You'll find them by going to the Off Topic forum, its where the "politics and religion" is debated.

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: I stoppped advertising

More hits per hour then a dozen forums combined and you stopped advertising?

6. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Matt, Gary???

Rollin, That is what the category view is for, granted some don't put everything in the right category, but you can usually tell by the thread title.
    It's kinda like (if you don't want to see naked women, don't go to the strip club)

If I don't want to read a thread I don't open it , but I do like to have that choice.

I think David and the Mods are doing a fine job

Robert

7. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Rollin, I agree with you 100%. I'm sure most people who visit here are hesitant to post anything for fear of the "attacks" from the same old posters who have all the answers to everything. I would be very happy to see the site cleaned up & those who can't follow simple rules be booted off the site! They surely wouldn't be missed.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Every BB has its issues and I've been flamed numerous times on SGW by few "know-it-alls"... in general, I have found TS.com to be as amicable as any...

I think most BBs tend to emulate a cross-section of today's society...

David... fine work...

Jay

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

While I agree in part with the complaints about people being slammed or picked on because of their views or backgrounds and have cut back on my posting here because of some of it, we all have to admit that this forum is wildly successful. SGW can only dream of seeing the hit counts this site receives and I frankly find SGW somewhat boring. Along with our loonies, we seem to have more knowledgeable posters than SGW even though the few All-Americans who uses to post here have been chased off.

Accordingly, Trapshooters.com can't be too bad.

Ed

10. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I've been posting on the BB's and using my real name to do so for more than 15 years. Once in all that time I butted heads with a moderator. I was called a "troll" by a SGW moderator because I poked at one of his blowhard pets. No other site has been infected with more diseases than that one and I wouldn't click on it for a $100 bill.

Hi, Rollin!

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Amen, Rollin! Sometimes it's scary thinking that some folks who post this diatribe actually carry a gun.

WW

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I think Dave and the moderators do a great job..and other than the very ugly and offensive things they are lenient to allow us to speak our minds...and give the billigerant just enough rope to hang themselves...without the varying categories and spirited discussion this would be a very boring place...we still should always be considerate though as some need to throttle back and ignore the off color stuff and it will go away on its own if you don't play into the fishing expeditions...TS is still the best site with for the most part, the best folks and shooters on the web,..CalMD

13. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Hi, Mike;

You wrote, "No other site has been infected with more diseases than that one and I wouldn't click on it for a $100 bill."

What do you mean? I am wondering if that might relate to the weird things/viruses that havebeen plaguing my computers the last few months.

Rollin

14. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

A good rule of thumb is "treat others how you want to be treated" that settles most any arguement. Scott

15. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

It is like dumpster diving - you have to dig through a lot of trash to get to the goodies.

It is true that folks intentionally post their threads in the wrong spots. I moved my one thread for NC Trapshooting to the correct spot while others promote their shoots in the main thread.

This is a great site regardless of what anybody says!

FRedmon

16. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Rollin: I agree the site would be more enjoyable if you didnt have to sort through the trash. If folks would use the "categories" as they were intended...it would eliminate alot of the trash.

For the most part its a good site.

BTW: This thread has nothing to do with "Shooting" and probably should have been posted in "off topic."

17. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Before getting back into trapshooting, I was very involved in the sports car world and their associated online forums. On Pelican Parts, (one of the most popular Porsche forums for classifieds), comments are not allowed in the "classified" section. It kept it clean and simple, and jerks are not allowed to degrade a posters ad.

In my last two for sale posts on this forum, the trolls instantly started commenting on the price, or the gun, or both.

I would urge David to consider a "no-comment allowed" classified section.

My $0.02

David

18. lel4866

lel4866 Member

"This web site is devoted to informing the public about the sport of trapshooting. Our goal is to help you find the information you need to get involved in the sport of trapshooting, learn how, and where to go shoot trap."

All in all, I agree with Rollin (great book - thanks!). I don't see how the current nastiness of the Political section promotes the sites stated goals. In fact, I think it discourages people from getting involved in the sport if their political views don't match some of the aggressively right wing views posted in the Political section.

Suggestions:

1. The default view for newly registered users should be the category view. It was not for me. The political posts were interleaved with the shooting posts.

2. There should be a warning on the "Politics, Elections and Legislation" title indicating the content may be "nasty/uncivil/extreme" or at least a euphemism for such.

It's not my site or my rules, but my personal preference would be to keep this a trap shooting site. There are plenty of places to express your political views, like freerepublic.com or democraticunderground.com. There's no need to hijack this site.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Oh, my. Just think if you stayed home from your shooting club because someone else was having an argument with other people.

I guess that would take care of every gun club I was ever at.

HM

20. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Just delete/dump the "Obamabots" and problem solved. There is only a half dozen. Then we'll have utopian harmony.

Yikes! did I say that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.