1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dave Shaeffer's Streak--Live bloggin the Cardinal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wdr-NY, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Dave Shaeffer

So I successfully arrived at the Cardinal Center Facility around 3:30 EST--just off of exit 140 on I71 in Marango, Ohio. This place is amazing--the shear scope is really staggering... and so gorgeous. I picked up our golf cart and have been driving around snapping some pics of the 200 bird doubles event going on this afternoon.

I'll be blogging the entire shoot in this thread, as well as following Dave Shaeffer's continued run into the record books. Dave is arriving around 7pm, right about the time I'll be covering the shoot offs.

I'll be meeting with Bob Stuart and the tournament director to go over how best to do my job here... I'll be posting our squad numbers for each event this evening. Since shooting Thursday was a last minute decision, I'll post those squad numbers as soon as we pull them in the morning.

For now, I hope you enjoy these pics I snapped real quick while driving up and down the line. I'll post names where I know them. If anyone wants to chime in and identify the shooters I don't name, please do so.

All the best,

Walker

The International Trap Field

[​IMG]

Doubles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Collin Bigras, All-American Junior from Vermont

[​IMG]

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Great photos!! Glad you are there to follow up on Dave. Rick ... Texas

3. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I had occasion to shoot doubles with Collin Bigras last Winter when he came to Walworth with Christopher Vendel. Well, I had a problem with my gun and Collin went out of his way to help me. Top notch young man.

Chris

4. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Walker,

I just want to say how greatfull we are for having your expertise with the camera and the literary value's you have.Looking forward to see and hear the results at the Cardinal Classic.

Thanx a bunch, Sandy.

5. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

3 people had 99 in the hcp event including Don "Dock Dog" from here on TS.com He lost the 99th target. 5 or 6 98's and me and 7 or so had 97. I am waiting on rjstuart's info to see what the payoff will be!
    Willie Anderson, Sr vet was one of the many to have 100 in the singles.

Doug Allison

6. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Good morning! Dave and I were up bright and early at 6am--and he treated me to the Maryland version of the "shooter's breakfast". I healthy serving of bacon, eggs and real butter served on toasted wheat bread. It was delicious and I'm full.

We arrived at classification and squadding bright and early at 8am--to long lines and some incredibly friendly folks. The Cardinal Center is a class A organization.

I snapped some photos and put together Dave's squad list.

Dave will be continuing the streak in Thursday's event 5. Here is his squad list for today.

Event 4--100 handicap targets. Bank 10, Squad 30, Post 2

Event 5--100 singles targets. Bank 1, Squad 41, Post 2

Event 6--100 handicap targets. Bank 6, Squad 6, Post 1

Here are the photos I snapped this AM... I'll be updating throughout the day.

All the best,

Walker

Banks 1-4, I'm standing on the International Trap pad at about 7am this morning.

[​IMG]

One of the big differences between the Cardinal Center and other facilities on the East Coast is that they don't have a shell house--so they allow vendors to sell shells on the premises... great prices too!

[​IMG]

In line, waiting for classification and squadding to open up.

[​IMG]

7. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Shaeffer broke a 96 in caps this morning. I'm sitting under the pavilion soaking in the atmosphere and waiting for the singles event to begin. I think they're going to announce what squad and bank Dave is shooting on so that spectators can come down and witness history. I'm shooting on station 1 and Dave on 2--I'm more nervous than he is... I hope I run them just so I don't give myself a heart attack worrying about being a distraction in front of him--but to be completely honest, it really doesn't seem like anything distracts him. He's been inundated with well wishes, extended hands and long stares and points--it appears that everyone knows what he's accomplished and that his streak is still alive.

In any event, history continues in another hour or so... Shaeffer is a machine, pure and simple. I've never met anyone like him. He likes to joke that he's dumber than a box of shit, but I assure everyone--he's Einstein when it comes to shooting Trap. I had absolutely no idea how much he thinks about before he goes out to the line--the analysis, the wind gauging, etc.

I'll post after the singles... and I'll have pics of Dave to go along with it--for now, here are some photos I snapped during the first handicap event this morning.

All the best,

Walker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Hey Walker A good idea would be for R.J. Stuart to Live feed Dave in the singels event.... We here in Maryland would like to see that !!!!! Tony Andrewleski

9. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

That looks an awful lot like Christy Williams, that must mean that her and Gerry at at the shoot also. Nice folks to shoot with.

Rick in Mt.

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I thought Christy shoots a Seitz?

You're definately right about her being really nice! She's a great mentor for any female shooter...she is really passionate about the sport and supportive.

11. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I believe it's Gerry that shoots the seitz.

yeah she ranks right up there with a certain Devi. :)

hope to run into you and Martin again one of there days.

Rick in Mt.

12. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

So we went out to the line for the singles event, me and 1, Shaeffer on 2, John F. on 4, and two gentlemen whose names escape me right now. The wind was whipping, gusting up to 25 MPH... Shaeffer just plugging away--inkdots... 1,2,3,4 and then a quarter left, the wind shot it straight up in the air just as he touched it off... "Loss", says the scorekeeper. And with that small intervention by mother-nature, the streak is over. Dave Shaeffer Jr's ATA and World Record for longest streak of singles program targets broken, without a miss, ends at an unofficial 2196 targets. Once Trap and Field confirms the exact target he missed at the State Shoot in Pennsylvania, his official record will be announced and posted.

The good news in all of this is that David received an outpouring of well wishes and congratulations--for shattering Earl Scripture's long run record, winning the Clay Target Championship during the run, and for conducting himself like the unbelievable professional that he is. The guy is pure talent and he is a pleasure to watch.

His new streak is at 90 targets without a loss.

He's still sitting at the third highest singles average in ATA history--99.78% on 5000 targets.

I'm off to the shooter appreciation chicken bbq, but before I go, here are some more photos I snapped during the singles and second handicap event this afternoon. They're drawing the numbers for the Ithaca Gun shoot off here in just a couple of minutes.

All the best,

Walker

[​IMG]

Shaeffer picking out his lenses prior to the singles event

[​IMG]

Shaeffer watching the targets and prepping mentally

[​IMG]

Shaeffer during the second handicap event this afternoon

[​IMG]

Pure Intensity

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kay Ohye... before the 2nd handicap event, tracking targets and conditions

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kay's famous Kreighoff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

What were the numbers for the Ithica shoot off??

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

targets were tough today with a stiff tail wind that caused targets to drop like rocks or catch a steep rise on occaision.

15. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

Heard the number for the Ithaca was 1. Some of the toughest winds/targets we've shot this season. Congratulations to Dave on his record-setting long run!

Cliff

16. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Kristy Williams shoots a Silver Seitz all in Gold (unless she swithced guns). Beautiful gun.

17. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Kristi shoots a K80 Trap Special Combo..........Jerry

18. biff

biff Active Member

Walker, it is a shame Dave even shot under the conditions and risked his long run on such poor targets. Of course hindsight is always wiser. Dave may not be a gambler, but he looks like a man's man who would not back down even in the most adverse of conditions. My hat is off to him for his accomplishment and I wish him well in his next endeavor, which will more than likely be another long singles run! Biff

19. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Yeah I think it was great that Dave went ahead and shot the windy singles ok I wasn't there but I have know a few great shooter's in the past that wouldn't shoot targets when the weather was bad guess that is what you call target managment so you will make the state team or the all american team at the end of the year.

Anyway Dave could had decided to wait until the next 16 event if he wanted to and I would had supported it since he was on a once in a life time run and I bet others would have agreed.

But since Dave went ahead and shot the not so good targets then all I have to say is I think that more of him for doing it and of course im sure he had some wild ones in the streak that he broke before anyway he is the long run champ right now and as Walker said he is 90 straight and counting on another long run.

Foggy

20. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

The numbers for the Ithaca Gun shoot off are 1 in the first handicap event and 6 in the second.

I'll forward all of your comments to Dave and I'll be updating later in the morning--for now its time to pay.

Dave is shooting on squad 61, bank 1 in today's singles.

All the best,

Walker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

collin bigras trap

dave shaeffer trap doubles

longest streak in trap