1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dave Jackson, MD shooter, has passed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by M R Ducks, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I just learned that one of my best friends passed away at his home today.

Dave Jackson was a fixture at the Oxford Gun Club, PA, Harvey's Cedar Gun Club in MD, and at Autumn Sky Outfitters, just down the road from Harvey's club in Street, MD.

Dave was an excellent shooter. He never fancied registered targets, but was always walking away with first place in the leagues he shot. He loved his XT.

But as accomplished a shotgunner as he was, he was even better with a recurve bow. Back in the 70's, Dave was a force to be reckoned with on the target circuit. He shot the first perfect score EVER in Maryland competition. If you go to Autumn Sky there is a picture of the target - the white 10 ring shot out and "300" written on it, hanging in the shop.

Dave taught me how to really shoot a bow. He taught my son Wyatt, and wife Holly as well. Dave was a true gentleman - always with a smile on his face, a twinkle in his eye, and something nice to say (or nothing at all - depending). He ran a Junior Olympics Archery Development program out of Autumn Sky on Friday nights - he loved teaching the kids to shoot. He never bragged about his accomplishments. He would just anchor against his Jay Leno size chin and fill the 10 ring.

Dave and I would swap reloading recipes (after he taught me to reload). We were seeking the perfect 7/8 oz load there for a while after running a bunch of targets with the Kent international 24 gm loads. We never did get it right...

I'd stop by Autumn Sky and see Dave on my way home from work from time to time - just to say hi, shoot the breeze - talk about bows, guns, arrows and shotshells....

I never missed a chance to be on his squad.

I loved that man like a father, and will miss him accordingly.

Joe

2. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

It sounds like he was a gentelman with a big heart I am sorry for your loss.
    Jim Z

4. bud168

bud168 Member

Im sad to read this today.. I enjoyed Daves company and enjoyed shooting with him, he will be missed at Oxford Gun Club.... My thoughts and prayers go out to Daves family.

- Kurt Nelson

5. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

My condolences, Joe

6. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

We lost a good man.

I'll miss him.

Adios, Dirk

7. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Yesterday at the Grand, Dylan Kline, a young man (14 years old) from Harvey's Cedar Gun Club ran his first 100 straight. We were at at birthday party for one of the other kids from Harvey's SCTP/AIM team when the birthday-boy got the text. It read "I did it for Dave."

Dylan - you know Dave would have been so pround and happy for you.

Ya'll need to watch out for Dylan. Just look at the results from the PA Grand - the boy can shoot!!!

Joe

8. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Dave's memorial service was today - standing room only.

He would have been humbled by the turnout; I can hear him now, "How could I have had any influence on all these people?"

Maybe because wanting people to notice you was never your goal, Dave. Maybe because you were just a nice man, with a huge heart, infectious smile, and always something nice to say.

We miss you.

Joe

9. 7OOX

7OOX TS Member

Dave was a true gentleman who I had the pleasure to shoot with many times at Oxford.

We had many laughs when he shot a good score and I would try to claim it. ( We shared the same name.)

I'm so sorry we lost such a good man.

Dave Jackson

10. T H Wallace

T H Wallace Member

thwallace_2008_03035.jpg

Here is a photo of DBJ, taken in Feb. at the PenMar Banquet.

He was an upstanding gentleman, and will be missed, by more than the trapshooting fraternity.

Here is the Obit from the Cecil Whig.

David Jackson, age 72, a life-long resident of Perryville, MD, passed away Friday, August 5, 2011 in his home. He was born on January 27, 1939 to the late George H. Jackson and Muriel V. Jackson Duchette.

Dave was known for his life-long involvement in archery, earning many state, local and national championships and participating in four Senior Olympic Games where he won several medals. He shared his passion for the sport by mentoring and developing young archers for more than thirty years. He also enjoyed the outdoors, making custom arrows, and was an avid trap shooter. "Stick" Jackson loved shooting 8-ball with his brother and friends.

In 2000, Dave retired from his position as a quality control technician with Cytec Industries in Havre de Grace, after 36 years. In 1962, he joined the Army and served as a Military Police Officer until 1967. He graduated from Perryville High School in1957.

He is survived by his wife of 35 years, Linda of Perryville; children, Barry A. Jackson, San Antonio, TX, E. Michelle Cwalina, Plains, PA ; step-children, Heather L. Curran, Sykesville, MD, and William J. Curran, Nashua, NH; siblings, George "Sonny" Jackson and his wife, Betty, Muriel C. Webb, and her husband, Edward, and Linda D. Comstock; grandchildren, Jaime Jackson, Gary Mitchell, Skylar Jackson, Alexa and Wesley Prettyman, Liam, Mathew, Fiona, and Rory Curran, Jillian and Declan Airola; great-grandson Hunter S. Warner; nieces Glenda C. Webb, Port Deposit, MD, and Veronica Helcher, Columbus, OH; nephews Paul Bartel, Cleveland, OH, Richard B. Jackson, Rising Sun, MD, and D. Eric Jackson, North East, MD.

A memorial service and celebration of life will be held Saturday, August 13, 2011, 11:00 A.M. at the First Baptist Church of North East, 206 Mechanics Valley Rd., North East, MD 21901. Dr. Stephan Hokuf will officiate at the service.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorial donations be sent to the First Baptist Church of North East, 206 Mechanics Valley Rd., North East, MD 21901.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Dave was A#1 ...a great guy and true friend,..I will miss him much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.