Trapshooters Forum banner

Dave Berlet stock work

7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  JACK 
#1 ·
I have connecterd with Dave. I need some stock work on one of his stocks. This one.
Rebate plane

Gun Firearm Trigger Wood Shotgun

See less See more
#6 ·
This is my all time favorite stock. Going back to when I got started trapshooting in 86, no stock has ever fit me as well as this stock. Interestingly this stock was made by Bobby Emrick of Scattergun Stocks and was one of his first. He made the stock for his RS Perazzi. Along the line it was sold to "jcshooter" here on TS.com and along the way, Dave Berlet made this stock into a 4 way comb stock.

I've had this stock on RS guns and regular MX 2000 ribbed guns. It fits all and all well. But I now want to put it on my newly constructed MX3/8 combo and it is just a smidge high to shoot on the MX8 top single. Too many beads of space. I do shoot a high POI gun but prefer to shoot this gun at no more than 80 or 90%.

And I prefer not to sand the comb down on this stock to achieve that goal. This will not be the last gun this stock goes on.

Dave is going to make me an entire new comb out of non-matching walnut with pins and parts in the right places. I will take the new comb and sand it to my preference and then finish it as best I can. If the walnut is lighter in color, I will stain it. If the new walnut piece is darker I will "pickle" it to hopefully approach similar color of the stock. I may enhance the grain to match the stock. I do not have a problem with cheek slap, so soft comb is not wanted.

Of the biggest mistakes I've made in trap shooting equipment is to sell my best stocks and best triggers. the metal can be replaced because it is standard and made to tolerances common one gun to the next. Not so with triggers and stocks. They are quite personal. Release triggers especially.

#7 ·
Jack,

I took on a similar project with a factory Perazzi comb on my 2000/10 topsingle and on my 2000RS. I like more of a rollover profile than the standard comb and the added offset was perfect to re-center my adjustable posts.

Some of the best advice I have is to use a benchtop belt sander. That way you can keep all of the curves in the correct plane. Take off the factory finish first, in your case this step isn't needed. Then just use a couple steps of paper on your sander. I went down to 320 with a handheld block.

For finish I used Cabot premium woodfinish and sealer. This is a urethane that is available at Lowes...similar to Varathane. In my case the comb turned out lighter in color than the factory stain. So I found Cabot wood stain in the same line so that it was compatible with the clear sealer. Oddly enough "gunstock" was the perfect color. After re-sanding off the clearcoat and staining, the color was a PERFECT match to the factory Perazzi tint. They use a touch of red and that was exactly the same as "gunstock" by Cabot.

After sealing the wood I sanded and applied more coats to fill in the grain and build up the proper finish. Once I got it to the right depth of finish, I used a rattle can to apply a satin topcoat, again matching the Perazzi factory sheen PERFECTLY. I am really impressed with how well it turned out. I am sure you can get the same level of matching Jack.

-Aaron

#8 ·
Watching Dave Berlet and Brad Dysinger on this youtube video helps me understand the personal side of these two iconic ATA shooters.

Dave is on the left, Brad on the right. they get down to the nuts of the video near the end.

Thanks D and B for making the video.

Jack

#9 ·
UP. On the way back. Dave and I had a nice convo about folks we knew/know in ATA. Ben Smith from WI and the Wehingers. Also form WI. I"ll up date this thread as the stock arrives and do the sanding andfinishign.

Avaldes. Thanks fo ryour input.

Jack

#10 ·
Got the stock back today and Dave did a wonderful job. So good, that I will just put a thin finish on it and take it shooting, prob on Sunday. The final finish and wait till next week... Thanks Dave.

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.