1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Daughter had to put her faithful dog down Saturday

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WesleyB, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

The wife and I received a phone call from our daughter saying it was time to let her faithful German Sheperd of 8 years go. He had been paralized in the back half of his body for almost a year and a half. She had a wheelchair made for him so he could get around outside to play with his ball.

His quailty of life got so that his lower body could not function well. She had him to the Vet several times.
    We knew it was coming but it was still hard. The wife and I dug a grave for him here at the farm.

Here is the hard part..... we met both of our daughters at the Vet which was about half way between us, 35 miles for each of us to drive. My daughter got up in the back of the pickup bed with him while the younger stood on the ground rubbing the dog in support. She hugged him for a good long while and then told the Vet to go ahead. With her faithful dog in her arms as he took his last breath.. she let out a gut wrenching cry and more tears went flowing.

Wife and I just lost it too... We were fine with putting the dog down, but the hurt of our daughter was unbareable.

After a few minutes our younger daughter got in the pickup to drive because the oldest couldnt drive now. We brought him home back to the farm for him to rest now. She buried him wiht his ball that he loved so much. Then she started the process of covering him. On her knees crying again. We all were crying with hands and shovels laying him to rest.

Ladies and Gents I am crying as I write this too you this early morning cause i couldnt sleep. I just had to get it out.

We have put several animals down in out past, but when that very special one that your family loves dearly has to go.. it is darn hard !!

Thank you for letting me post this here. I know that several of you here have had to do the same thing as I have read those post here in the past.

The older I get The Softer Hearted I get.

Wesley Butchee

2. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

Wesley, So sorry for the loss, it is always difficult to put a loved pet to sleep, since they are family. We had to put our loved kitty of 18 years to sleep last week, she had lots of health issues that finally took their toll, it is one of the most difficult things to do, even though you know it's the right thing to do. Sue

3. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Our thoughts are with you and yours and we have posted this before. It just seems to help.

A DOG'S PRAYER
    By Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest--and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

4. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

It has less to do with getting "softer", than to realizing that which is important and meaningful in life. And that can only come with age and having experienced the many things that allow us to grow wiser.

When I think back upon my own life, and the "things" I once held in such high regard, especially as my children were growing up.....

.......and now..........

it is ONLY a couch ; it is ONLY a frikkin' carpet on the floor ; etc, etc, ETC..............

Today - my pets have "run of the house", and I would have it absolutely no other way. I sympathize with your loss, and dread the coming days when I no longer have "Daddy's babies" making their messes everywhere, and to take up so much of my time.

5. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Hi Wes,

I know your loss as I have experienced it. I had to put my GSP, Heidi,
    down when she was 8 years old and had a stroke. I sat in the Vets office
    holding her and crying like a little kid before I let the Vet put her to
    sleep. How to put your dog down so they do not have to suffer is the
    hardest thing I have had to do in my whole life.

I hope your daughter took lots of pictures of her dog as they will
    presious as time goes on. Tell her to always remember her dog and
    the good days they had togather.

Give your daughter my best,

Birddog

6. shrek

shrek Active Member

So so sorry to hear about your family's loss.

There is a family dog graveyard at my home farm too, and it never get's any easier, particularly when the special ones leave us.

7. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Wesley The never ending friendship, the tail wagging and the most important is the loving you get from a bonding that will always be in you're hearts for ever, no matter you and you're family will be with the pup once again. GOD bless with my heart felt feelings. Pat.k. Love them puppys .

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

It is so vey hard to loose a family memeber and it never gets easier. You all need to find a little happienes in the fact that you helped a faithful friend find peace.

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Wesley:
    I am very sorry for your loss. I love animals probably more than most people. when i was in the service i befriended a stray dog. for 13 months months he was always at my side. the day i regreted finally came and my 13 months was up and time to come home. I was not allowed to take my dog home with me. i gave him to my best friend who still had time to put in. he promised me that he would take care of him for me. i would receive pictures of him and i would send tapes to my friend so the dog could hear my voice. the letters stopped one day and a few months later i found out that my friend was in a accident. i never found out what ever happened to my dog. there is not a day that i don't think about them.
    take care,
    steve balistreri

10. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I just want to thank everyone for the great support on here. TS.com has great people and I am proud to be apart of it. It was a tough weekend but we will go on but with memories of happy times with our family member.

Thanks again and May God bless you all!

Wesley Butchee and Family

11. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

sorry about the loss..every one loss on that good dog leaving.

nothing wrong about being soft...it shows your a caring person.

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Martin and I are sorry for your loss, Wesley. I cried when I read your first post, because I have had to do it, too, more than once. My daughter has been through the same thing, too.

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Wesley, might I suggest adopting a new family member! He may seem to be a bit to soon but a new friend will help heal the pain and there are so many friends that need a loving family. We rescued a 6 month old lab and she is the apple of my eye! It helped heal the pain of loosing our chocolate and our shitzu just a year earlier.

14. larryjk

larryjk Member

Wesley Butchee, I have been there and done that. My son cried like a baby when he had the vet give his "Max" the shot that put him to sleep. My son was 28 at the time and really felt sheepish. I told him I would have thought him a cold, heartless bastard if that hadn't happened. I was leaking tears too.
    Get your daughter another dog. I suggest a soft cuddly Laborador pup. Start him on obediance training from day one and they are the best companions you could ask for. They will do whatever pleases you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.