1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Dating a Winchester 1400

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapman69, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapman69

trapman69 Member

Is there a site I can date a Winchester model 1400 and also tell if it was a trap model? Thanks Tom Reichert

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Staff Member Supporting Vendor

I can't resist: "I guess you could try Match.com."

Honestly though, someone on here should have some of that info. I have a link to something that may help, and I'll see if I have any luck and, is so, post it here for you.

Whiz

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Not a bad gun ...I still have my dads from the 70's that bas Sears name on it and a Polychoke type adjuster on the barrel

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Whiz you and I think to much alike ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

There were several incremantal changes - early guns had a factory rubber recoil pad, a Milled, as opposed to stamped bolt handle, and a fore-end that covered the leading endge of the reciever.

The firt two went away, I'm guessing due to costs, and the wood was changed, likely due to durability- my kid wore out a couple of the old style!

There were a lot of incremantsl internal changes, too. Back in the mid 80's I had the trigger group crack, and I called Winchester for help. Service rep groaned when I told him what I had..."there's been too many changes on that one...I have no clue!"

Damn. then he transferred me to the shop floor. I spoke ot someone that was in a machine-filled area (from the background noise) and he agreed that guessing what was the right part was too tough - so he sent me a complete trigger group, free, saying, "Thanks for shooting winchester!"

So....If it's parts, where in the production run may make a difference, but there's a lot of cross compatability.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Whiz beat me to the punch too.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.