1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Daro Handy

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by OneStab, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneStab

OneStab TS Member

Any one ever take a clinic from Mr. Handy? Pro's and Con's.....Thanx Jim

2. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I read his book and watched his video.Compared to Phil Kiners video I would go with Phil.I really got alot out of Phils video without paying 2-3 hundred dollars for a Clinic! PJ

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I heard that his clinics were really great in the days before the voice-activated pulls.

4. KK

KK TS Member

Don't miss a chance to take Daro's clinic. Once you become a student of Daro's you will always be his student. If you live close to him and have the opportunity to shoot the same tournaments that he shoots he will give you a quick lesson, or watch your gun mount, etc to fix anything that may have gone wrong since you took the clinic. Daro, is a genuinely nice guy and a good teacher. Kirby Kelley

5. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

A video vs a clinic does not even compare - no matter who you are talking about. At a clinic, the instructor will give you his vast experience based (hopefully) on your style of shooting. In short, you will probably get years worth of good practice in a couple of days - well worth the money spent.

I have taken a clinic from Daro every year since I started shooting trap in 2001 and its worth every dime. And it does not end when you hit AA 27 as there is still a great deal more to learn under the instructor's coaching. Find someone you like and keep going back to them if possible.

Daro's classes tend to be smaller than most which translates into more personalized coaching. BUT he teaches his style of shooting - The Five Step Method - and if you have a lot of less than desirable habits, it will take some practice on your part to make it work but it does work. AND after taking the class, you will know why he has turned down so many targets plus you will be much more aware of a good pull vs a bad pull, even from voice calls.

Don't hesitate to take a clinic from Daro or from any of the Big Dogs!!

Eric Olson

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

"...a good pull vs. a bad pull, even from voice calls..."

I personally recall reading Trap & Field magazine's published account of an official ATA complaint filed by 3 members of a squad, who watched the Big Dog turn down 38 OUT OF 50 targets over 2 traps at the California State Shoot about 15 years ago.

...And people give Kentucky shooters a hard time. Their version of "target management" is much more benign, in my opinion.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Daro is my friend. I have spent many hours talking with him and he has given me some excellent advice. I believe he would be a fine instructor.

When Daro was shooting at the top of his game, he could recognize very slight differences in pulls. We were using a push button at that time. He did expect the same expertise from the puller as he expected from himself. That was probably unreasonable.

Pat Ireland

8. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

I thought the same as many about Daro until I met the man. As Pat said, he is the ultimate perfectionist. He was at the Golden State Grand in Martinez about 20 years ago and had ordered 12 release triggers from Timney for his 1100. He took each one and fine tuned it to the point of ruin. I asked him why he didn't leave the last one alone or at least not do as much to it and he just smiled. He sat out the shoot and played Hearts. The trigger was either going to be perfect or he was not going to shoot. His need for perfection probably cost him over $5,000 in winnings plus the travel costs.

I, too have taken his clinic and he has probably studied this game more than any other shooter. He is also a very good instructor. He can tell when you are getting brain dead before you know you are. He realizes that each person can only accept so much info. If and when I decide to get back into heavy competition, I wouldn't think twice about taking a refresher from this great teacher.

Gene

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Backing Pat's remarks, and from shooting with him, Daro can STILL recognize very slight differences in pulls. He even, one day, brought to our attention at Cottage Grove - Eugene Sportsmen that the Pat Trap in one trap house or the other was obviously low in oil based on his observations on the line. No amount of poo pooing the idea that this could be told from the 27 yard line mattered when it was found it was low in oil.

At the prodding of top quality shooters, including Daro, the club now is in the process of altering all the brain boxes and improving the voice calls and the results are proving to be amazing in consistent and fast responses to a shooters call. New shooting stations and walkways have been poured on the first 4 fields too which also improves the consistency in the appearance of birds thrown.

Daro is not a top dog that prances about the club and hides between events. He's social, helpful, contributes money and advice to and at clubs, and has a fine sense of humor but does expect only the best when he pays for it.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Daro's shooting style has been beat to death over the years on trapshooters.com. The fact is that most people only parrot what they have been told. If Daro turns down a pull it is slow, or fast and that was well within the rules in place at the time. Having shot singles and doubles with Daro and observed him shooting many thousands of handicap targets I feel that there are a great many people who can't tell a good pull from a bad one and I suspect that there average could be improved by learning to say no once in a while. That said I have taken his course, read his book and would reccomend it to anybody. As has been said.... If you want to fine tune the shooting style that you already have then Daro's method of shooting trap is not for you but Daro can still coach you and see what you are doing wrong and it will be well worth the money spent.Jeff

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jeff- I can tell a slow pull after I have shot it. Daro can tell before he shoots.

Pat Ireland

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have read Daro's book at least 5 times and have taken a one day clinic from him. He told me to speed up my Set Up ritual until it became a consistent timed routine and this has helped my shooting. His method is to project the ghost image of the front bead onto the target with sort of Xray vision. At no time in his book does he ever say to look at the front bead instead he says just the opposite but he does say to notice the front bead in your peripheral vision a little more than you would think. I find it very difficult to do this but I think it is a matter of terminology. I can notice the front bead before I shoot but am usually unaware of it consciously until after I have already shot. Phil Kiner on the other hand seems to recommend total concentration on the target only, "Let the Force be with you", but also admits that the barrel/bead is a reference. Phil has done much research on cross-firing. A clinic from any of the top instructors is well worth the cost.

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Frank little also emphasized seeing the sight in your peripheral vision.

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I watched him should handicap at Las Vegas after Steve put in the Canterburys.
    He didn't turn down anything and shot a 99.

Genuinely nice guy, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

daro handy

daro handy dvd review
daro handy or
daro handy professional trap shooting school
daro handy trap shooter on point of impack
daro handy trap shooting
daro handy trap shooting forum
daro handy video