1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

++DARO HANDY++

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SMOKEIT, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I have purchase and read 6 or 8 books on trap shooting and watched as many Videos. Took lessons from Scott Robinson. Daro's book has been of more value to me than all the other books and videos combined. My book is dog eared,hi lighted and underlined. Each time I pull it out and review it I learn something helpful. His theories may not work for everyone but I find them helpful. A guy that can break 500 straight form the 27 can't be all wrong.....SMOKIT

2. 2labman

2labman Member

Dan, I took the liberty of reformatting your post for easier reading, I hope you don't mind.

"Why hasn't Daro been inducted in the ATA Hall of Fame? He has the long run from 27 yards with 505 straight. A lot of people hate him for turning down slow pulls, now we have voice calls you can get a few slow pulls on them but not very many, maybe 1 or 2 out of 100. Daro is a machine, just like the voice calls. I think the ATA is really getting screwy on some issues, example; Mr. Martins issue and no more added money. Mr. Martin is for the shooters not for all the big dogs. It's sad that the ATA is slipping away. I used to have registered shoots at my gun club, but ATA raised their daily fees. Mr. Martin could if he wanted start a new organization. Mr. Martin is a true gentleman. If he wasn't he could have started a new organization with no problem. Dan Drainer from Drainers Gun Club.

I will have a 100 handicap called the Eugene P. Drainer Memorial in the end of Oct. It is a 100 bird handicap with a Calcutta and we're giving away to 1st place a new golden boy rifle 22. I still shoot ATA, but just the bigger shoots not the smaller ones. I will no longer have ATA shoots, just non-registered shoots, and we will give away prizes, guns and trophies. With all the added fees and the price of the white flyer increase people just want to save gas money and target money, so I am going try to throw cheaper programs and have something worth winning. Dan Drainer. Going to downers grove this Sunday to my second cousins Herman Welch Handicap, then planning to go to the Missouri Fall Handicap Fri., Sat., and Sunday. I wish all the ATA shooters my best. Break them all."

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Most of the people who feel that Daro Handy cheats or picks and chooses targets are the ones who have been beat by him ... Any excuse is better than none ... Daro Handy is a perfectionist and knows a good target release from a bad one, if everyone had the same talent as he and a few other have there would be a bunch more top guns in a damn quick hurry ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I am sorry this thread got off on Daro calling bad pulls. That was not the intent.

I just think he is a great shooting coach and I appreciate him sharing his considerable knowledge with the rest of us...SMOKIT

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I saw Daro Handy shoot two consecutive 98's from 27 yards at the Las Vegas Gun Club in bad weather. They were using the Canterbury voice release. He didn't turn down anything.

6. jimsw

jimsw Member

I used to shoot a lot out west. I watched Daro shoot and was curious about the slight push forward he did while calling. That was before the voice call days. I took 2 clinics with Daro and learned the push forward technique. I can tell you for sure if you are pushing forward as you call you will know when you get a slow pull! The voice calls have changed things a bit. Daro recognized slow pulls immediately and you would too. Therefore he turned birds down. Try it sometime get a friend to hand pull for you and use the push forward technique.

His long run record is 705 if you include birds shot in PITA shoots and ATA. That is so incredible it defies belief. When I was on the 26 if I broke 5 on a post it was time for a major celebration. Kidding aside I once broke 75 straight from the 26 and promptly broke 19 on my last field. No punch!

Daro is a great guy and a super shooter.

7. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Handy didn't turn down what he considered "slow" pulls because he couln'dt hit them, he turned them down because it drove almost everyone else on the grounds to distraction --- ie if you're thinking about Daro Handy turning down targets you surely don't have you mind on your own targets.

Read the story about Col Charley Askins Jr and why he had to resign from the Border Patrol Pistol Team when they were the best in the USA -- and why he finally had to resign from the Border Patrol itself just before he was fired.

The primary motivation is both cases were over-inflated egos causing outstanding competitor's which both Askins and Handy were to think anything they did with respect to mind games was OK.

8. KIRKS AUTO

KIRKS AUTO Member

What gun is Daro currently shooting on his caps? Kirk

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Just ordered Daro's book. Thanks for the thread.

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Daro tried a 34" Perazzi O/U for all events for a couple of years but he is now back to shooting his 1100 with a high rib. He also shot really well in Vernon B.C. at their annual Labor Day Classic.

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Having shot with Handy I can assure you that mind games has nothing to do with why he turned down targets. He turned them down because they were slow or fast. Period end of story. Anybody who knows Daro can tell you that the man does not have an an enflated ego.

Novel theory DB Bill but it holds no water.

Handicap scores are so high now that an average handicap is won with no less then a 98 anymore and Daro still shoots high scores while having to turn down 1/20 the number of targets he used to.
    The handicap scores of today prove beyond a shadow of a doubt what Daro always knew. The pulling was what destroyed scores not the shooters ability to hit properly thrown and on time targets.Jeff

12. white rattler

white rattler Member

One of the best. I am glad and proud to call him a friend.Trevor Dawe.

13. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Daro and I shoot at the same home club. I have set traps and targets for Daro. Daro is a gentleman and a perfectionist. He wants to shoot at a good target. He can still grind targets with the best of them. I have read his book and use his method. The forward press and call for the target require a timely pulled target. The better you are, the more it matters. Mark

14. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

SuperXJeff,

Are you saying that the average handicap scores are higher today than they were when we shot hand pull targets and shot over winchester hand set traps?
    Robert

15. Beretta680

Beretta680 Member

In reply to RWT
    YES

16. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Beretta680,

Where did you find that data, I would love to look at it.

Robert

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Daro is a fine man. When I went to my second and third Grand Americans Daro and his wife asked me to join them in the dining room at the motel where we all stayed. A great conversationalist and nicer person you'd ever want to meet. So, it's safe to say that I like the man.

I don't know whether he turned down hard angles or not.

What I do know, though, is that he got into a row with the ATA officials. Many unofficial folks complained to the ATA that Daro was turning down targets. Maybe just out of illogical reasons but the ATA wouldn't have acted against him if those complaints hadn't been lodged. So, the ATA started "watching" Daro at major shoots.

I was shooting with Daro (just potluck - we didn't know each other well enough to know that I was the guy who ate together back in Vandalia) at the old Beeline club in Phoenix and Daro turned down a couple of hard right targets from 4. I was on 5. An ATA official was watching our squad and called both targets "Lost". Daro was very upset and finished the round in the high 80's. Me too.

Later the ATA made it a regular practice to watch Daro and call losses for unshot targets. I don't remember if it was at the Grand or not but somewhere an official was watching Daro and Daro was said to be struck ill which may have been his heart. Others thought he was having an anxiety attack. All conjecture since none of those folks who told me this was a cardiologist.

If the story is true, Daro either took or threatened to take legal action against the ATA. That will probably keep him out of the Hall of Fame during his lifetime. What's fair is in the eyes of the beholder.

I still like Daro and have decided to believe that he doesn't intentionally turn down targets. I believe he is just ultra sensitive. His sensitivity may be a bit too sensitive within the interpretation of the rules, however. I don't think his controversy is anybodies fault. A very unfortunate situation, indeed.

18. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The criteria for nomination to The Hall of Fame is - - ?

It seems, from reading the bios of members, that the requirements are pretty flexable.

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Viola!

Hall of Fame nominees are selected from two groups: competitors—shooters who have made impressive records in shooting on an ATA-wide basis, and contributors—those who have contributed to the growth of trapshooting or to the betterment of the sport, also on an ATA-wide basis. Obviously, a shooter might have accomplishments in both of these areas.

Specific requirements for competitors are:

Shooters with impressive records on an ATA-wide basis who are still living and have been in active competition for a period of 20 years or more. .
    Shooters who are deceased and have honored themselves in trapshooting on an ATA-wide basis for a significant number of years.
    Specific requirements for contributors are:

Living or deceased individuals who distinguished themselves on an ATA-wide basis by their contributions to the sport of trapshooting. This category can take on and is intended to have a broad meaning. Contributors are recognized for doing great service to our sport—such as inventions to aid our sport, promoting and publicizing our sport, and/or serving trapshooters on state, zone and ATA-wide bases.
    All living currently-selected inductees must appear personally at the Trapshooting Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony during the Grand American unless physically incapable at the time of induction.

Submissions for the current year must be received at the Hall of Fame office before June 15 to be considered by the committee at the Grand American in August. Selections for the next year's induction are announced in the issue of TRAP & FIELD following the Grand American.

Nomination letters and completed biographical forms should be sent to:

Trapshooting Hall of Fame ATTN: Biographical Chairman, PO Box 281, Vandalia, OH 45377

CLICK HERE to download the Nomination Biographical Information Form.

Last Updated on Friday, 24 August 2012 15:27

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

A lot of shooters were P.O.'d at Daro for turning down birds. One of my first years at the Grand a big crowd watched him turn down a number of hard rights on post 5. Never turned down a straight away. Saw it. Didn't like it. Neither did the crowd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
daro 7 handy

daro handy book review

daro handy book reviews