1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Daro Handy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by windyflat, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windyflat

windyflat Member

Way to go Daro shooting 100 straight out in Tucson!
    Glad to see the man keeping up with the rest of them.

Tom

2. buckshot57

buckshot57 TS Member

A "hall-of-famer" in my book, mentor & gentleman.
    Kick their tails Daro.

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I flew to the Grand with Daro and Mike Mazzuchi in the 80s and we shot together for the entire week. It was a very good experience. He is a gentleman for sure!!

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Many believed he pushed the rules to there limits to win, for many years. As a matter of fact (supposedly, I was not in the meeting) the rules were changed and tightened as a result of him pushing the envelope.

5. white rattler

white rattler Member

Looking at the scores Daro broke a 198. Which is still good shooting. Trevor Dawe

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Daro Handy (1996) - - - PITA Hall of Fame 16 years ago

Anyone that has ever heard of trapshooting has heard of Daro Handy. Daro is one of the most controversial and talented trapshooters this sport has ever known.

Daro was in the Air Force for over four years and during that time he won the European Championships and the Cup of Nations. Daro was the only American to have won these titles. Since his discharge he has registered over 500,000 targets. At the time of his induction, Daro had broken over forty 100 straights and a long run of 505 in handicap, had over thirty five 100 straights in doubles and a long run of 1,200 in singles. Daro was on the All-Star team for 24 consecutive years and had been Captain 15 times.

Among Daro’s many titles are 18 championships at the Grand Pacific and over 43 Oregon State Championship titles. In 1990, he won all five championship events (singles, handicap, doubles, HOA, and HAA) at the Oregon State Shoot.

In 1963 Daro received seven yardage punches for known ability while never winning a handicap. He would have broken five more 100 straights in handicap, but missed his 100th target each time.

If there is anyone in the world of trapshooting that deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, it is Daro Handy.

7. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Lest not we forget. I watched him turn down 35 birds out of a hundred once at a grand handicap. Of course this is still all speculation. Even the clubs that banned him from shooting is still speculation.

I can hear those keyboards humming, but is it the truth you speak of?

shot410ga : I guess you could call it "pushing the envelope".

CM

8. windyflat

windyflat Member

I meant 100.... Sorry guys! I see he broke a 198 today.

9. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

My son and I had the privilege of taking some lessons from him last year. Indeed, he's a gentleman and great shot. I think it's a shame he's not in the ATA hall of fame. I hope he makes it. Regardless, his accomplishments stand on their own.

10. Capt_ed

Capt_ed Member

And what does Daro shoot?....................Thats right folks Remington 1100

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

The OP stated he is using a Beretta 303......

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Wear your cowboy boots

The significance of the above comment is that Handy suggests that you wear cowboy boots to put a bit of "lean" in your stance. CAmpbell suggests you "press" by gliding forward as you take the shot. I learned the glide into the shot from Jack Gracey. Some guys/gals can do it, others cannot. You can shoot effectively without a press into the shot or without cowboy boots. But to think I had to have cowboy boots to shoot, made me close his book.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have not talked to daro in a while , but I would be suprised to see him shooting a 303.Jeff

14. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I shoot with Daro on his winter Trap League team at the Roseburg Rod and Gun Club. He told me he had picked up a Beretta AL-2 as a project gun and was going to add a new stock and a high rib. As far as I know, the project is still being worked on, and I would be really surprised if it turned into his primary gun, or even if he shot it, before selling it. He is left handed and shoots a LH 1100. He is a gentleman and an asset to our club and our sport. Mark

15. windyflat

windyflat Member

Before I edited my original post I mentioned that Daro helped me setup my 303.
    Sorry for the confusion..

16. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

MIA : I will go with Hip boots for Daro. "Pushed the envelope", is that what you call it?

CM

17. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

"Pushing the envelope", is that what you call it?

CM

18. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I was fortunate enough to see how talented he was at turning down birds. He was one of the best.

CM

19. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

DOES DARO STILL SHOOT A 1100.?..........SMOKIT

20. windyflat

windyflat Member

Pretty sure he still shoots an 1100.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
daro handy

daro handy opinions