1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Daro Handy/Pete McCall Why not in HOF?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by One Eyed Left Handed, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

I'm not trolling, I'm not agitating and I've rarely started a thread but don't get why these two aren't in the HOF! Look at their shooting records and you'll be baffled also.

I know some of the stories and complaints concerning both but results year after year don't lie. It's not supposed to be a popularity contest, I mean, do we know whether John Phillip Sousa or Annie Oakley were delightful people or your particular cup of tea?

What do the regulars here think? Tell it pro or con, just hopefully in a pleasant manner!

Thanks, Eddie Quire

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Eddie- Their shooting accomplishments clearly warrants consideration for the HOF. But, induction into the HOF is based on more than shooting success. Both Daro and Pete are friends of mine. Both now have health problems that prevent them from shooting.

Pat Ireland

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I think Daro should be inducted. He has done a lot for the sport. I don,t know much about Pete. I have talked to Daro several times and I find him interesting.

4. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Pat,

Daro may have some health issues, but that didn't stop him from winning another open Oregon Singles Championship two weeks ago in Bend with the lone 199 among all Oregon shooters. Definitely has not stopped shooting. Thirteen hundred targets in 5 days and the elderly fellow shot 'em all just like us youngsters.

The folks who can answer the HOF question are those on the Nominating Committee. Maybe one or more can ring in here and shed some light. Anything else is just unfounded speculation.

Regards, Mike Mann OSATA Director also One-Eyed, therefore left handed.

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Pat-- Both have health problems now that prevent them from shooting. I thought HOF consideration was based on life time acccompishments. Many were installed after their death. Clyde Doll

6. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

My son and I had the pleasure of attending one of Mr. Handy's clinics over the weekend. He's certainly nice enough, no more opinionated than most on this forum and his record clearly justifies it. It wouldn't surprise me if he just offended one or more on the nominating committee -- which is why I think you should shoot for your own pleasure and let your accomplishments speak for themselves. Mr. Handy's accomplishments speak pretty loud and clear. Oh, and the clinic was wonderful. I just hope I can remember enough to put it all into practice.

7. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I count Pete as a friend of mine. He has always been a GREAT Shooter and I believe he certainly deserves consideration for the Hall of Fame. I don't know Daro as well but he is also worthy of consideration. They have both been kind and helpful to me.

Charlie Becknell

8. WonderBoy

WonderBoy TS Member

I don't know what the considerations are for the HOF but I think I recall an incident with Pete one year at Vandalia that got him banned from the ATA for a year...does anyone recall the specific instance that I am referring to?

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Some sort of scoring discrepancy if I remember correctly.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

The shooting accomplishments of both Daro and Pete clearly support consideration into the H of F. Both have some factors in their past that will probably prevent their induction. Earl Scripture is a third shooter that has both great accomplishments and some distractions. This is not the place to discuss the events that will probably keep them from the H of F.

Pat Ireland

11. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I have taken a clinic from Daro. It was the best clinic I have taken. I only know Pete from talking to him at the KY state shoot. I do know of their shooting accomplishments. The only reason they are not going to be considered is because the ATA is just like any other organization ( don't forget our government ). Politics, politics, politics, etc..............If the right people are in place someday, it may happen. Until then, not.
    Maybe those in power just don't like left handers. If so, I guess that leaves Eddie and me out of the running also....darn! LOL.....
    Nubs Wagner

12. biff

biff Active Member

HOF requirements = Good behavior and political correctiveness? Guess it's not a Shooting Hall of Fame! Sounds more like a Nobel Prize to me now.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Its called "Good suction", in many respects if you don't have it you will not get in, if you do suck up to the God's of trapshooting you are a shoe in ... Daro Handy and Pete McCall tell it like it is so they are not good candidates for the HOF based on that alone no matter what their shooting accomlishments have been ... Thats just the way it is and it should definately be changed, altered, or modified to accomidate those that are not suck ups ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Listen to Ireland,

As a friend of both these men, and a far better understanding of "issues" than we are ignorant of he has made a reasonable request. This is not the forum for HOF nominations.

And NO; skill should NOT be the only factor in induction to any HOF. Think about it. a la Pete Rose.

Don Verna

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Yeah, and so should Pete Rose!!

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Pat Ireland is one of those who will no doubt be in the HOF in the future as mentioned above, I'm begining to think Zardo is on a mission also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. porky

porky TS Member

Be serious when you think of why people are elected to their respective HOF. If it wasn't their skill that got them there, it certainly wasn't because of the community consciousness. In most cases, the reason that they aren't in the HOF is because of politics and maybe a screwup here of there. But in most cases I think it is politics because if you look hard enough, no one is without their problems.

18. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I would think that most shooters inducted into the national HOF and their state are inducted because of their shooting careers and achievements. Some strictly because of their contribution to the sport apart from shooting careers.
    I would bet that the vast number inducted because of their shooting records of achievement would outweigh the number inducted because of their contributory
    record.
    I don't really know the full story about some of the folks that are on the side line waiting to be inducted hopefully (or not)...but if the main reason that Daro is out so far is because he was very selective about target presentation and tardy pulling...then IMHO it's wrong. Just to think he had the presence of mind and ability to recognize each and every bad target or pull, and smash another target takes a greater degree of talent in my thinking.
    If that is not the entire story, then sorry for the input and I am wrong in my thinking.
    I do know that both Daro and Pete are great shooters...and my take is they should be in.
    puablo/Jeff Philipbar

19. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

If you believe politics is what gets you in the HoF think Brad Dysinger. Brad is a good friend. We shot the Grand together for several years. Brad is certainly not what you would call a political person. He has his opinions and doesn't quibble about them. I do not always agree with his stance on some things but have great respect for the fact he doesn't wilt under pressure, like most political persons do. IMO, politics certainly was not a factor in his selection, just plain old shooting ability. Jimmy Borum

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jimmy Borum,

Good point, So shooting accomplishments would or should make you eligible for the trapshooting Hall of Fame no matter what your opinions are, which may differ from one person to another depending on the indiviual ... Daro Handy and Pete McCall both belong in the HOF, maybe in the NO BS section with Brad Dysinger ... Stand up for what you believe in even if you stand alone, is the way I was taught and I'm to old to change that now ... Not that I would want to ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

mikey357 thanked this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
daro handy

daro handy opinions

daro handy records