1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Daro Handy Clinic In Kentucky

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by John Thompson, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Will turning down angles be taught??

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Another ignorant statement by somebody who has never seen the man shoot. Daro used to turn down slow pulls when hand pulling was the norm and inconsistant pulling was the rule. Daro abilty to turn down off speed pulls was within the rules in place and he made full use of the rule book but any target that was on time was shot. He didn't care where they were. I have shot with Daro and consider him to be a friend but my defense of him is based on facts not just what somebody heard.Jeff

3. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

John: Yes, if you are smart enough to know a good pull from a slow one, you dork.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Daro is the best cheater there has ever been. Now the Kentucky sand baggers can learn how the real Pro did it. Now they can go to the other state shoots on the 20-22 yard line and shoot 15 birds over their average and still bet all the options. Might as well learn from the best.

5. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Another thoughtful insight from career short yardage, know-it-all shooter.

6. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I don't know the man but have his book and partly use his method because it's the only way I can shoot decent. Instead of looking through the bead or having it as a shadow, I look right at the bead, call for the bird and look at the bird as it clears my barrel. I never move my eyes until I see the bird. I can't shoot any other way because I'm a one-eyed shooter who must use two eyes because of glaucoma. So, I appreciate his book. Wish I could attend the clinic.
    Guy

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have taken a clinic from Daro and have read his book at least 5 times and I believe in his 5 step method. At No time in his book does he ever say to Look at the bead but he does say to Notice the ghost image of the front bead in your peripheral vision as you soft focus in Zone 1 looking for the target.

8. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Mike, you are right. As I said - you see it as a shadow or ghost are whatever you want to call it. I'M the one who looks right at the bead. I didn't mean to imply I got that from his book. Note that I said I "partly use" his method.

9. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

I helped at a small PITA shoot , Daro was on the last squad and I keeping track of the first two traps when the gentleman next to me who was from out of state told me to get ready to reset the traps. I asked why every thing seemed fine and he agreed but laughed and told me to just wait and see . Daro called me over and told me the pulls were to slow and Icould see the genleman back there snickering, so I went in to the house and topped off the carosel then poked my head out and asked if that was any better he said it needed half again the amont of adjustment . I said ok ducked back inside and laughed a little then poked out again , try that and he said perfect even though the machine was never adjusted.Stood back and watched the squad shoot thier 50 and those boys could shoot then they moved to the next trap and my new freind again told me to get ready and sure enough he wanted the machine adjusted again older style that neede the allen wrench and he had one in his vest so Ijump into the house and acted like Iadjusted 3 times till he declared perfection then watched them all shoot 50 straight. When I told the gentleman what I had done he nearly pissed himself laughing so hard .Jay

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Jay. Great story but I don't buy it anymore then anybody else who knows Daro will buy it. Great story though! Sadly it is as old as the rest of the jabs thrown Daro's way. Shall we talk about the year at the grand that he had chest pains and turned down the first three doctors? That's another good one! Jeff

11. Beacon

Beacon TS Member

I have seen Daro shoot and there is no denying he is a good shooter. He has a reputation for being demanding but I have seen others complain more than him. He just actually does something about it. Maybe it is all in his head and maybe not, but either way it is working for him.

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jay... I have to agree with Jeff on this one. I have been fortunate to not only shoot with Daro, but also take his clinic. There is no denying he can tell a good target from a bad one. I think your friend was just pulling your leg a little with his story. When you have shot as many targets as Daro Handy has, you know a good target from a bad one EVERY TIME. For my money, if Daro says it's a bad target, it's a bad target. I have also seen him shoot targets that I thought were borderline when it came to being legal. I've watched as he turned down a perfect straightaway target because the pull was slow, and then watched him shoot a hard left that came out next, but was on time. One thing we all have to face is the fact that Daro Handy will always be a legend in the trapshooting game, and as such, stories of his style of shooting, both good and bad, will abound as long as our sport survives. Some feel one way, and some of us feel another. One thing we can all agree on is that he was one of the best handicap shooters that ever shot trap. With a long run of over 500 27yd. targets without a miss, how can anyone doubt his ability?... Just my opinion.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I wonder how many targets he turned down during that 500+ run?

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The slow ones I would imagine and if they pulled any fast ones I would bet he turned them down as well. Those are the rules they played by and he played by the rules.Jeff

15. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

Hey guy's I believe I indicated that his shooting was impressive in fact he has probaly forgot more about trap than I will ever know but the story is true I just acted like I adjusted the trap he declared the pulls perfect. Nobody's perfect just relax and laugh at funny situation.Jay

16. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

As a pretty active member of the CGESC in Oregon and having had him shoot our club many times,lined boss on his squads every time he's shot here for 2 years, Ive watched him deal with score keepers that made mistakes,Ive watched him in shot offs as have Trap2 and Jeff.Yes I changed targets for him,but he's not the only one by any means. I'll give you all an "urban legend" If Daro tells you the pump is low on fluid in a PAT tarp? I suggest you check it.

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.