1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

danger zone of # 7 1/2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by twopipe, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twopipe

twopipe Member

Anyone know the official danger zone for 7 1/2 ( & smaller ) shot ? Feds shut down one of our traps for shot fall violation.

2. twopipe

twopipe Member

falling on the highway, they claim. This is in Canada

3. letts

letts TS Member

At our club we are considering a new 5 stand set up. 300 yards were said to be required for fall zone. I do not know where the rule came from.

Letts

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A strong tail wind can increase the distance the shot travels. HMB

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

300 yards has been the standard for ears. If a 7 & 1/2 pellet is blown further than that I want to be in a good sturdy storm cellar.

HM

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

300 Yards is the rule. I would also go and look at the highway and see if there really is any shot on the road way. Someone on the highway dept just might have a bone to pick with you all.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Canada has a federal standard for range layout and safety zones.

I've provided the PDF link to the publication. Makes for an interesting read.

[​IMG]

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/club/const_guide/RangeDesign/RDCG/RangeDesignConstructionGuidelines.pdf

8. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Twopipe,

If you and your buddies like shooting at your range, then I suggest you get your heads together and figure out a way to stop this from happening. You should also go clean up any shot that you can find right away.

I'm a member of San Diego Shotgun Sports and our range has been completely shut down for 1 1/2 years because the feds found shot outside the fenceline of our range. We have been waiting for an environmental impact report for the majority of that time. They keep delaying and delaying and dragging it out. I hope the same doesn't happen to you guys.

Here's our website if you want to check it out.

http://www.sandiegoshotgunsports.com/

Good luck,

Kevin

9. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu6sMm1BLcoMA4l9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzOG45ODdkBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0g0ODJfMTQx/SIG=12p2652ji/EXP=1263660172/**http%3a//www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/shotgun_statistics.pdf

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

This and noise abatement are two of the biggies that small clubs are getting hit with these days. Since the range protection act was passed, new ways to get a club shutdown had to be pursued.

I would strongly urge everyone that has anything to do with a small club to inspect and measure their shot fall zones. If you live in an area that gets snowfall, a good visual inspection can also take place by looking at the snow for impact areas.

If you are well within the confines of the clubs property then have it surveyed and documented. This will save a lot of hassels on down the road.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.