1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dan Bonillas shotgun of choice?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale58, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Just read the article in sept. / oct. issue of trapshooting USA on Dan Bonillas, great story. My observation is that he has a perazzi MX3 top single over his shoulder, no fancy adjustable high rib not even an adjustable comb. I'm not nocking adjustable stocks or ribs, i just wonder if fixed everything is the way to go. I think he has been shooting that same gun for what seems like forever. Any other thoughts? Dale

2. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Another thread about Al Ljutic mentions that Dan shot Monogun #1 for many years. His scores put Ljutic on the map as a trapgun maker.

3. Champion II

Champion II Active Member

Heap, Wrong Dan!! That was Dan Orlich.

4. joehunter

joehunter Member

I talked to Dan at the Grand and he says he still shoots the MX3. He has tried the MX10 and others and keeps going back to the MX3. He has had the same one for almost 30 years.

Joey

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

What about the DB81? Dan Bonillas 81 that is? I guess like many shooters that when the smoke all settles he like sthe mx-3. He is not the only one like that.

If bigger, fancier was always better then Miss America would weigh 400 pounds and wear a diamond studded bikini. Jeff

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I was waiting for a presidents handicap shootoff in 2006 when Dan sat down on the bench next to me... old, beat up, worn out, no checkering left mx3....

nice guy, wanted to wet my pants... he shot for a lower place...

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Got to watch Dan And David both shoot off this weekend together. Amazing shooters.

Bryan

8. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

Its my opinion that what ever fits and shoots best for you is what works !!! Im sure it was a joy to watch both men shoot! I being new to the Sport enjoy watching and learning when ever possible, so for me the chance to observe the Best of the Best would be a treat !

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Many older shooters and those who have shot "regular" guns all their lives reference off the barrel and do not shoot high rib guns as well consistently.

I am a good shooter but not great. It took me months to get used to a K-80 TS and I had only been shooting 3 or 4 years at the time.

Use the gun that works for you. If you change guns, be prepared for a learning curve of weeks to months. We have all seen guys buy a new gun and trade it after less than a year.

And Dale, there is NO advantage to "everything fixed" unless you are the type of person who adjusts his gun every time you shoot a bad score. Adjustable everything allows you to tune the fit and POI. I lost 20+ pounds this year and some tweaking has been necessary.

Don Verna

10. pilotdan

pilotdan Member

I have spoken with Dan several times about various subjects over the years. His gun of choice is the MX3. He has a few of them (backups). Ironically, he never shot competition with a DB-81. It was a marketing ploy from Perazzi. He demo'd one, but did not like the high rib.

His MX-3 shoots flat, about 60/40. I was talking to him in Reno one year and he looked at my Bill Cole gun. He asked about the POI, and I told I thought it was shooting about 80/20. He started laughing, (if you know Bonillas, you'll understand)and said he could never figure out why guys want a high shooting gun. He said that you should be able to "stand in a 6' tall pipe 40 yards long, and your shot should all come out the other end." Just sayin'. It seems to have worked for him over the years.

11. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I had a Wille Mays glove when I played Little League Baseball, my friend had an Al Kaline one. He was better than me. So using that lesson it's the user of the equipment not the equipment that makes the difference. Switching equipment requires getting used to it all over again. I am happy to shoot period.

Harry

12. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Don't forget that for years, Dan shot for Perazzi. That MX-3 was fitted to him years ago.

Interestingly, the gun he probably shot the worst was the DB-81, he left it quickly when they came out, and went back to the MX3.

The MX3 and MX8 are largely the same, and many shooters prefer them over other models, including Dan B.

13. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Lots of great info. guys. Dale

14. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

..."you should be able to "stand in a 6' tall pipe..."

I would laugh at him when he said that, since I am 6'5" and would be able to stand in a 6' pipe.

Bryan

15. VNVET

VNVET Member

I was always under the impression that Dan B. shot a MX8 combo during the mid to late 70's and was largely responsible for the popularity of said gun. I think I read that here on TS.com so it must be true.

Jim

16. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Anyone remember starshot? Dale

17. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Oh Wow, Starshot! I remember watching that with my dad as a kid. I remember Terry Bradshaw as a contestant.( I think) lol.

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Remember it well! Dan was always encouraging club management to find a way to make money shooting shotguns since all his salad bowls at home were filled with buckles and such......breakemall

TDale thanked this.
  19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Remember it well! Dan was always encouraging club management to find a way to make money shooting shotguns since all his salad bowls at home were filled with buckles and such......breakemall

20. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought my first MX-8 combo, way back when, in an effort to imitate Dan

Ed Yanchok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dan bonillas

dan bonillas and perazzi
dan bonillas guns

dan bonillas perazzi

dan bonillas shooting style