1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Damp Gun Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JoeD, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeD

JoeD TS Member

Is there any safe way to dry out about 4 lbs. of suspected damp powder? (Red Dot) Was wondering if drying in elec oven would be safe.

2. gotbass

gotbass Member

Doesn't excess heat make NITRO? Careful bud.

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I agree with gotbass.......

4. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Would you like to hazzard a guess on that one??? Would make bizarre news coverage.

In the heating season, humidity indoors drops like a stone, even with humidifiers. Just leave it open upstairs.

But first, why do you think it is damp? Open container in a wet cellar? Blooper shells?

I am not sure that the absorption rate is very high but reloading wet hulls may be a cause of poor ignition as are old or damaged primers.

What is the problem you are experiencing?

regards

ps I hope you aren't trolling for brown trout.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Joe- Suspected damp powder? Load up a few shells and test them. Alliant is also very good at answering telephone questions. I would never use a heat source hotter than direct sunlight to dry powder.

Pat Ireland

6. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading TS Member

Hello JoeD,

Please do not ever consider drying our Red Dot(R) or any of our other powders in your oven. For that matter, please do not process them in any way other that what they were designed for, and that is reloading. We have very specialized equipment, technologies and procedures for processing and handling explosives, and home equipment wouldn't be safe.

Thank you for purchasing our product, and please be safe so you can live another day to shoot it up and buy more.

Please contact us at 800/276-9337 and speak to Ben if you want to discuss further.

Shoot well,

Paul

7. JoeD

JoeD TS Member

Suspected damp - I made a rokie mistake. I have a younger brother and several nephews who i am trying to get into shooting, so I loaded several thousand once shot Estare shells they had gathered for these cheap shells thad didn't require my hulls returned. I did not realize that a percentage of them had wet, or damp base wads. What a mess, as several in every box were bloopers. Yes I have the experience with several different shell cutters.. Cut 3 five
    gallon buckets apart.

I knew the oven thought sounded stupid, but thought maybe someone else had delt with this also.

Joe Doherty

8. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Quackshot says more importantly, his tequila looks like it's damp and he wants to know if the oven would work to dry it out? I told him to try vermouth.

He's been a little under the weather. I think the meds are taking effect. haha

Luvn

9. nipper

nipper TS Member

what i dont get is there are actually responses here on what to do. load it up and see what happens.

bill

10. sakoboomer

sakoboomer TS Member

IMHO for whats its worth a warm ELECTRIC oven around 200F would do the trick. The lawyers are going to start screaming here but I think if a guy uses some common sense it would not be a problem.

If you use a gas oven you might need to hire a contractor to remodel the side of your house!

This will get them going JoeD!!!!

Rick

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I remember trying to dry out some firecrackers as a kid - gandmother's oven was never the same nor was my backside. Heat + gunpowder = oh @#$%!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

damp gunpowder shoot

red dot gun powder got wet how to dry it