1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Damn, I hate this when it happens.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I was on about my 24 shell reloading when I noticed there was a small piece of lint caught in the powder drop tube. I pulled it clear and a normal amount of powder dropped into the hull, but it got me thinking about the first 23 I reloaded. It just nagged on me so I got the old shell cutter out and tore them all apart, not a single one was bad, I did save save the shot, powder and primers.
    At least I have confidence in the box now rather than shoot every one waiting for the poof instead of the bang.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

What possible problem could a piece of lint have caused?

Eric

3. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I did that with about 500 rounds on my 800B loading in a hurry and noticed the powder worked its way off !oops :eek:(

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Or you could take a shell that is for sure correct and weigh it, then weigh all the rest and any that are not the right weight are not right. That depends upon using the same hulls though. John

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Better safe than sorry.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

jbmi- You did the right thing. Another option would have been to put the shells in a marked box. As you loaded each shell on the line, you could look at it and wounder if it has a light charge. This would result in several lost birds but you would happy when the round was over and you got rid of the questionable shells.

Confidence in all of your equipment is important.

Pat Ireland

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Box-em and use them for practice..

Don

8. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

If they are plastic hulls, you can “candled” them, the way we used to candle eggs. Use a piece of thin cardboard, like the back of a writing tablet. Cut a window in it a little smaller than the silhouette of the hull. Fit each shell into the “window” and hold it up to a light or even a sunlit window. The light can be seen through almost any plastic hull, even the new AA's with the insert and you can see if there is powder in the shell or not.

9. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

If something similar to this hasn't happened to you, then you haven't loaded long enough. Thanks for the tip, Dicksie. Cesar Nolasco

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

The good idea described by Dicksie (she also makes Spolar reloaders)will tell if powder is in the hull, but it will not tell you how much powder is in the hull.

Pat Ireland

11. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Pat,
    You are correct in that you cannot distinguish the exact amount of powder in the hull but you can see if the amount is basically consistent by the height of the powder. If the powder is not stuck in the reloader and is not on the table or the floor chances are pretty good that it is in the hull.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dicksie- But, I know how to load a box of shells that has 15 full powder charges and 10 light charges of powder. I suspect a few others have also learned how to do that. You would be totally amazed at the number of mistakes I can make.

Pat Ireland

13. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

If you are using any type of powder that requires close to 20 grains, weighing your shells would have shown you if you were off on one. They will vary a few grains just due to variances in the hull and an extra or short pellet here or there but your shells will be very close in average weight. One that is 10 grains off is noticeable. 20 is obvious. My experience.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.