1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Damaged Primer Pockets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BFJ201, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

I've had some damaged primer pockets and not fully seated primers using Cheddite Primers, and Gold Remington hulls on a PW 800 Plus. This was happening occasionally, maybe one in 50 shells recently. I re-adjusted the primer seating assembly to straighten it up and tightened up the set screw. It seems to have corrected the problem, but is there anything else that may need adjusting?

Thanks for any help.

James Allen

[​IMG]

2. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Good Lord, those look horrible, if not dangerous. No PW, though, so I can't help you fix it.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It appears that the ram that knocks the used primer out of the hull needs to be adjusted. Make it shorter, because the base of some of the hulls appear to be bulged out. HMB

4. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I load on a PW 900 and the only time I've seen anything like that, the cause was a stuck primer. Usually a hull that got wet (primer corroded slightly and got hard stuck) and the durn hull just didn't want to be deprimed.

I've *never* had to adjust my deprimer ram and wonder how one could manage to get it out of adjustment. But you should take a hard look at it.

5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

It looks like the hull may not be aligning up with the primer or the depriming ram. I'd check for alignment first. Make sure the turret is turning fully and is aligned.

Bob

6. EE

EE Banned User Banned

But why is the base of the hull being dished like that between the pocket and the rim? It should be flat.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Last time I saw something like that, it was from hulls that had gotten wet and the primers had corroded into the primer pocket. The bottom of the case head had dished out, because of the force required to remove them. Even though the case heads were brass, the primers were steel and the rust was enough to make them real tough to remove. Did about the same thing on a Mec and an old PW. Decapping them SLOWLY on an old 600 Jr made the difference. I discarded the hulls anyway.

8. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

After adjusting the seating assembly I haven't had any other problems. The set screw vibrated loose and moved over to the left just a tad and that was just enough to torque it off center. On all of the ones where the primer seated well, they look like factory. I don't think the bulge occurred until the primer seating operation started moving material. Since it's only occurring on a small portion of them I was at a loss. If something is predictable and happening every time it is a lot easier to diagnose. I'm a shotshell reloading rookie so I just wanted to ask those who were more experienced than I for advice. But I do see how I corroded primer could do that but it doesn't seem as though on the up stroke it is taking any extra force on these hulls but of course there is a lot of leverage on the machine and it may be there.

James

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Check if you have cracked the web of material that forms a slot for the primer Assembly in the cross head. I did that and wound up with a similar "dished" hull base. PW has an upgrade that replaces the cast part in that area with a steel insert.

I plan to order the upgraded head from Whiz. Been using another machine in the meantime.

Don Verna

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You have a bent Primer Seating Shaft, permitting the brass assembly to be cocked, causing the misalignment. Doubt that it's the Knockout Pin.

The factory shafts are 12L14 steel, a very soft steel and can easily bend.

I had a similar experience several years ago with Nobel Sport primers wherein the OD of the primer itself was several thousandths larger that the standard American primers, causing much difficulty in seating... and bent the factory seating shaft.

I sell hardENED shafts.

Whiz

11. locdoc

locdoc Member

Whiz, You may want to think about rephrasing that last comment... :)

Doug

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Could some of the problem be due to using a primer that is not designed to fit into the hull that is being used. Cheddite primers are larger than the primer hole in Rem and AA hulls. I can force a nut on a bolt when the threads do not match. I can force a larger primer into a smaller primer hole. But, using the correct nut with the bolt and using the correct primer for the primer hole always seems to work a little better for me.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.