1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Damage to stock finish

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnboy, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnboy

johnboy Member

A friend had the finish damaged on the stock and forearm of a 682. One area is dime sized where the finish was chipped. Since the finish is a polymer or what I would call a plastic finish, can it be repaired in the effected areas only, or will the wood require all the finish be removed and refinished. If repairs are beyond steel wool and a dab polyurathane can anyone recommend someone to refinish wood? This incident also re-enforces my belief that a lot of gun racks are a risky place to rest a gun.

2. high 2

high 2 Member

Patching a factory finish is tough. The Beretta is probably a satin finish. All sprayed satin finish will get glossy where they are handled. That`s where it gets tough to patch a spot. Every once in a while I can`t patch a high gloss finish that I`ve done in the shop. The wood under the patch spot will be a little darker than the rest. If your not real picky how it looks, you might be able to patch it as you say above. I would recommend to stay away from the steel wool. Try wet dry sand paper 600 to 1000 grit when sanding it out. Be sure to keep the paper wet. This will act as a lubricant and keep the sand paper from loading up as much. I would be happy to help if you decide to refinish. Larry

3. johnboy

johnboy Member

Thanks Larry, I will pass that along to my friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.