1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dallas Texas Restaurants / Things to Do

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gusto777, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gusto777

gusto777 Member

The wife and I are headed to Dallas this weekend for the Cowboys/Giants game on Sunday. Our hotel is in Irving. Can anyone recommend restaurants in the Dallas area and things to do while we're there.

Thanks,
    Gus

2. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Gusto,

I'd drive to Fort Worth and go to the art museums, natural history museums, I-Max. Head up to the Stockyards for some local color.

Eat at the Rail Head for real BBQ, Papadeaux for cajun.

Have fun with real folks; come out to The Fort Worth Trap and Skeet club. Someone will loan you a gun. Wx should be decent.

Welcome to N. Texas

HBT

3. Battue

Battue Member

You will not go hungry in Dallas. If you are interested in a steak:

Bob’s http://www.bobs-steakandchop.com/
    Del Frisco’s http://www.delfriscos.com/
    Pappas Brothers http://www.pappasbros.com/
    Al Biernat’s http://www.albiernats.com/
    Hibiscus http://www.hibiscusdallas.com/

A restaurant called Javier’s http://www.javiers.net/ is one of my favorite hang-outs. They serve ‘Continental Mexican Cuisine.’ The menu has a number of great beef filets and a number of good fish dishes. Interesting people watching… The bar is great, but it is a cigar bar and the smoke can get pretty tough if you do not care for that kind of thing.

Pat

4. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Good advice above, Pat's mentioned places although very good are pretty pricey, although Javier's is more reasonable and is a very nice place. Ft. Worth has some neat places to see as mentioned above. In Irving, I would recommend "Cool River Cafe", great food and just north of the stadium less than 2 miles.

5. texasaggie2000

texasaggie2000 Member

Cool River is good, very trendy but good...they also offer shuttle service to and from the game (at least they used to).

If I had to rank them, I would take Del Friscos over Bob's but you really cannot go wrong with either (or the other nice establishments mentioned above) and for my dollar, I refuse to spend it at Saltgrass...

If you make it to Fort Worth, ton's of great stuff downtown and in the Stockyards...I recommend Lonesome Dove in the Stockyards, very unique food. Ton's of great bars and hangouts in downtown Cowtown, so have fun.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Cattlemens steak house at the stockyards, cant be beat for a reasonable steak

7. texasaggie2000

texasaggie2000 Member

Shootlow,

Just my opinion, but we used to eat at the one in north Ft. Worth off of 35 all the time (had a few clients up there) and the steaks were just not of great quality and were never properly prepared. Service was generally ok, but never great.

For my steak dollars, I like to eat prime and like to have it prepared as requested (for me, rare is pretty close to over done), but that is just me.

I think finding a place unique to Dallas/Ft. Worth would be the way to go.

If you are the owner or propietor of a Saltgrass...then I take back everything I said.

8. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Aggie 2000,

I believe the owner of the Saltgrass is a big Clinton Contributor. Also owns Landry's, Joe's Crab Shack, etc.

They never get my dollars for fear some might go to anti-gun pols or causes.

Michael's in Fort Worth or Morton's in Dallas. Cattleman's has gotten better with the new management. The decor could use a bit of updating. The steer heads on the walls are as old as I am (they are in better condition, though).

HBT
    TAMC '66

9. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Fort Worth Stockyards or Arlington. Both good,wife and I was there in Feb.

Bo

10. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

One of our favorites is Paul's Porterhouse Steaks & Seafood 10960 Composite Dr, Dallas 214-357-0279. Not far from Irving Just off of I-35. Pappas Brothers is also in that vicinity although more expensive. For the $$ Paul's is great with a lot of history. Del Frisco's is also VERY good although pricey.

What cuisine are you looking for?

Downtown Dallas is always wonderful at night as well. You can check out the Arboretum or Dealey Plaza and see where Kennedy was assinated. Lots of history here on both sides of the Metroplex.

11. missed some

missed some TS Member

for entertainment and not bad food, Medieval times in Dallas.

12. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Bigdogtx . . . I guess our cuisine agenda for the 3 days we'll be in Dallas would orbit around Steaks/Seafood, Mexican and BBQ. We're from Las Vegas and have alot of good restaurants here but I hear that you can't beat a Texas Steak and that the BBQ and Mexican food in the Dallas area is great.

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

You got to go to Fogo de Chau

14. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

If I was heading back to the Lone Star State and being an adopted son of Texas.(Stationed at Ft Hood for too many years) I'd say head into the back part of town to a small Cafe and order Chicken Fried Steak with mashed Potatos and gravy. If it's one thing Texas does right its Chicken Fried Steak, that and Chili. If you want Chili it's Jack's Chili Bus, somewhere down by Austin.Dont forget to order Iced Tea and remember it aint proper to say "Fixen" till you lived there at least a year.

15. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

+1 to CalvinMD's recommendation for Fogo De Chao. Stay away from the salad bar or go very light,,,,Adkin's dream restaurant.

BBQ is ok here, I prefer Kansas City and Memphis. To find a good authentic mexican, I like the "hole in the wall, mom & pop" places. We have a lot of them. My favorite is Joe T's for dinner and Esparanza's for breakfast. (come HUNGRY) http://www.joets.com/

Google search http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4DMUS_en__251__251&q=mexican+restaurant+fort+worth

Dang,,,,I just ate and now my mouth is waterin'!!!!!!!!!

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

For Mexican I loved Abuelo's

17. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Second on Abuelos. It's on I-35 not too far from Dallas Gun Club. The Menue is great. the margi's are good and the prices are fair. Spent about 100 on dinner for three including margi's and gratuity. If the wife into shopping, then grapevine mills outlet center close by and bass pro right close, Wifey goes shopping, I go to B-pro. If you head to Ft worth Downtown on the square is easiest lots of places no parking hassel. Go to north side, theres lots of places, Wattering holes Filthy Mc Nastys comes to mind along with White Elephant, and by all means get to Billy Bobs, even if no Big Name enertainers theres always the shoe shine girls to keep you inertained. Both places close enough to park and walk the area.
    By all means have fun and bring lotsa money good luck

Bob

18. Laudygirl

Laudygirl TS Member

Head down to Deep Ellum for the night life!!

19. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

all the above are good recommendations - however.......
    I have lived in Dallas for 28 years now- and in my opinion the best steak/seafood resturant is hands down " Three Forks" on the north Dallas tollway. Its not cheap- but its outstanding - hands down beats the chain type steak houses. Its where my wife and I go for special occasions.

For mexican food- Javiers - near downtown in the Highland Park area

good luck

20. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Cool River in Irving, on McArthur is one of my favorites and is near the stadium.

Abuelo’s has several locations and is very good Mexican food. I think Joe T. Garcia’s (N. Ft Worth) is better, but you can’t go wrong with either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

steak restaurants in highland park dallas tx