1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dale July - SD Shooter Passed on

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz white, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Dale July of Pierre, SD passed away in a fashion that bespoke of his character.
    Dale had a stroke and when his kidneys were failing, he did not want dialysis. I probably have never met anyone I liked better than Dale.

whizwhite_2008_0203252.jpg

I was appointed to a position as a section manager at the DOT at the Capitol by then Governor Dick Kneip. I was one of only two new political appointees there at DOT. No no one would give us much attention for fear of them losing their jobs.

I would coffee with the other gentleman, the Director of Personnal, Mr. Opp, but the other folks who feared their jobs, just stayed away from us. What they didn't know is that if anyone was about to lose their job over political reasons, I was their champion and many times I told Gov Dick that we were SAVING their positions. In fact, NO ONE was ever let go.

One morning, this big guy with a friendly smile walked unannounced into our office, directly past my secretaries, and into my personal office. He demanded that I was going to coffee with him. He bought me coffee and DOT's famous cinnamon roll. From that moment on we became friends for life.

Dale introduced me to trapshooting at their old Oahe Gun Club north of Oahe Dam. He taught me to shoot fast. If I mounted my gun and called "pull" and shot too slowly, the other guys broke my target. I remember one of the shooters was head of the Public Utilities Commission, Harvey Scharn. In fact, his son, Mark and I are good friends here today. Mark's respectful and bright son was in my school buidling. Along with Britt Robinson, Dale knew both how to shoot and how to teach one to shoot.

He was a state champion and a top shooter most of his life until his eyes began to fail. The first year I shot ATA, I was lucky enough to shoot the 99 in the Vandalia Handicap at the Grand, thanks to Dale's instructions... and the following year I made the 27. Dale always said practice handicap, anyone can shoot singles. I told Dale "thanks for the help in shooting" many, many times.

Dale and I maintained our friendships for all these years since the early 70's. When I was working for Brown & Root in Houston, Dale would unexpectedly ship me hundreds of hulls to reload to keep shooting. I am very saddened to see him pass on, but knowing him, he didn't want to linger around. He is in a better place.

He had great stories about his military service... in Lebanon the paint-soaked softball shot out of a tank at a friendly's vehicle and the hell he had to pay, was a gasser. I have never met anyone more down-to-earth, frank, and wise as this gentleman. He was a good Mason too.

My condolences to his family and friends.

He was a helluva 27 yard shooter, but a better friend!

Whiz White

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice story Whiz. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. The few years I spent in South Dakota I met more people like you and Dale than in any of the other 7 states I lived in over the last 40 years. I still go back to see them all with the exception of one. He was a good man and we lost him in 2007. Charlie Black was a peach of a man who loved to hunt & shoot trap. South Dakota has a lot of real down to earth good folks & I miss that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.