1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dad's old semi auto grease/oil.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Dad

My late father use to use a mixture of STP oil treatment and something else on his automatics. He said it was what the Illinois or Indiana State Police used when they changed to semi-autos.I just used the last of it on my Hornady reloader and would like to make up some more. I think the other ingredient might have been Wynn's friction proofing or something like that. Do any of the senior shooters out there ever here of such a thing? It made kind of a tacky oil, and works quite well.More of a nostalgic kinda thing than anything.Thanks Brad.

2. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Just recently herd a shooter at an Illinois club state that he's used 50/50 mixture of STP and 40W motor oil. He was talking about making more, but needed some kind of brush-on container for it (brush attached to cap, I think).

Larry

3. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Shot with an older gentleman the other day that said he used STP and Marvel Mystery Oil. Don't know if he mixed them or not.

4. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

When I shot bullseye pistol we used a concoction known in the sport as "Red Oil".
    Our very tight bullseye 1911's were generally dripping with this stuff:
    Red Oil formula:

Empty gallon can
    8 oz Hoppes #9
    Can of STP
    Qt of 30W oil
    Fill with Automatic Transmission Fluid (2+ Qts)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.