1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

D-M-T-C Denver Colorado, Who knows the history?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sportshot, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Which one of you shooters recognize this club patch? I'd be interested to know the history.

sportshot_2008_0303167.jpg

Ps - I collect vintage trap shooting patches. Do you have a couple old ones? I'm trying to get enough to fill a 3' x 4' frame for our club house wall. (Please PM or email)....

thanks.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

check your email

3. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

I did Lou. Great! Thank you. It will be put to a good and fun use, at Tri-Service Sportsman's Club.

I need about 10-12 more.

Putting club memorabilia like patches and awards in a club house encourages a lot of interesting conversation --- about shooting! People who have been in this game a while have had some amazing experiences. All you have to do is get the party started.

4. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

God, but I miss Tri-service. Especially the time I was trying to shoot on one of the two trap pads while somebody ran up a jet engine on the service pad at the top of the hill. Puller had to walk the shooting line and stand within two feet of each of us to hear the command.

Tony

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I did not get any email with address back yet, maybe it will come. Check with "wombat" Dwight Bevans from Rush Co. He may know some history. You may want to find membership cards from clubs. If so let me know

6. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Tony, that's funny, but true, they did have that jet engine service pad just up the hill for a while. Wasn't that amazing? The roar would shake the fillings right out of your teeth!

It has now been relocated, but as you know, the fighter jets practice touch-and-go every weekend, right behind us, and take off right over our heads. I have NEVER heard anybody complain,... we either shoot thru, or pause and watch in wonder. It always reminds me of the POWER and GREATNESS of this country, America!

My dream has always been to fly in one, behind the pilot. I have wished for that for 20 years, although I know it would be impossible.
    sportshot_2008_030383.jpg

7. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Colorado trapshooters will recognize some of these.........
    most, now long gone.....

sportshot_2008_0303168.jpg

sportshot_2008_0303169.jpg

sportshot_2008_0303170.jpg

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I have that patch. Used to shoot out there in the 70's. Wonderful place to shoot. Don't know much about the history, except that it is history. I believe Ray Stafford owned and ran the club for a period of time.

I have a belt buckle from there and had a Mod.12 that I won in a hdc. out there. Wished I would have kept it.

I am sure someone on here will give you a complete history.

Good luck and good shooting

Steve Elliott

9. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

I have a patch around here somewhere from the Student Gunsmith Rifle and Pistol Club when I was a student at CST is 1965. We shot rifle at the National Guard range in Golden and trap at the Denver Municipal Trap Club when they were shooting over the water. I think I just dated myself. I know I will this week when I turn Vet.

Jere

10. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

If that was Jere White, the Rebsmith, nice to hear from you! Does this photo being back memories???

sportshot_2008_0303171.jpg

These are my few good patches.... never been to any of the places, but read a lot about them!

sportshot_2008_0303172.jpg

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I've shot there quite a bit in the 70's and early 80's.

Then it was the DMTSC: "Denver Metropolitan Trap & Skeet Club".

Ray Stafford at one time was involved with its ownership I've been told. I always saw Ray there and in fact on one occasion, I was squadded with Ray, Gene Sears, Don Kockrow, Beuford Bailey. Totally a fun squad; you put the brass in backwards and you help up the squad. They made it damn easy to shoot good scores.

Great club to shoot - hated to see it close.

DMTC may have come either before of after I shot there.

We enjoyed the travel to Denver because of all the great restaurants we could find to eat at.

I have a hat somewhere in the shop with the DMTSC emblem on it.

Whiz

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Black targets against a sky background.

13. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

As I remember the Denver Metro Club predated the club that Ray wound up owning.

The Denver club was forced to shut down and Winchester built a new club, which is the one Ray later owned.

I shot there and rember that Ray was on the 26 yard line on that day.
    You know that was a long time ago!

As Barry said, black targets againt nothing but sky, didn't get any better than that.

Good memories from the past.

ed.

14. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Sportshot.....The Jere is right but my last name is Cossaboom. I was at CST in 64 and 65 when Ben Spann, more affectionately known as "hosenose" was the boss. Pappy Aiken and Sid Cross were there also. What a blast we had back then.

Jere

15. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Whiz, I shot with Don and Beuford numerous times. Who knows? I may have shot with you. Always stayed at the Baselline Motel in Layfette(sp)and always managed to have a meal or two at(I believe) the Blue Parrot. Sound familiar?

Ed,your'e right; some good memories. Have several stories I could tell about those shoots. lol

Steve Elliott

16. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

thanks for the replies.

"Mile Hi Shooting Park" was the big club up there between I-25 and the little town of Lafayette. It MAY have been called the Denver Metro Trap Club prior to being named Mile Hi Shooting Park but I don't think so.

17. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Sportshot, I just went and found the patch that I got there in the 70's sometime. It has the mountains at the top with DMTSC under them and Denver Colorado under that. The shoot we always went to was called the Mile High.

Steve

18. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Great Steve, (I want it..... nah, that's your souviner.) You can leave it for me in your will though, and I'll do the same for you with my DMTC. Do you think your patch or my DMTC pach is older?

Ok, I will just be on the lookout for one in this area.

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

AAtrap: It's been too long ago to remember where we stayed when down in Denver.

We ate once at the Colorado Mine Co, or something like that. We liked to try different good restaurants, but ut's been too long ago. We got in an argument one night about ordering Chevas... we kept saying Chevas, and the waitress kept saying bar scotch... she finally enlighted us that it WAS Chevas. I really didn't care as I was not a fan of scotch... good burbon; Crown, etc. My father was a liquor wholesaler, so I was privy to the *good* stuff - ha!

I haven't heard anything for many years about Don Korkrow. I was a youngster at 24-25, but Don and Beuford always treated me like family.

I think the last time I shot there Steve Carmichel and I shot the bull in the parking lot one afternoon.

I always liked the layout of the club and it always seemed to garner good sized number of squads. I always seemed to shoot better at the bigger shoots...at least getting away from my own club was always better for me.

There was Bernie Wall, and the mayor of Boulder or Greely, I think it was... a DeGiualdo (spelled it wrong), but we hit it off really well.

Whiz

20. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Sportshot, I have to admit I don't know about fighters doing touch-and-goes at Buckley; we left Denver in '99 for Sedona and now the outskirts of Tucson.

But seeing that Golden Trap Club patch brings back memories. I've got one for my first 25 straight - we were shooting Spring league and I'd thrown my back out. 25 on singles, 24 on 'caps, repeated the performance the following week. I could barely stand up straight, and that place was murder to shoot at around sundown, as the bird went from lit background to shaded background and back.

Then I went to see a chiropractor, he put my back in and I haven't shot that well since. Oh, well.

One thing I DO NOT MISS is shooting in Denver winters!

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

denver municipal trap shooting club