1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

D.L. needed to sell a gun ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I've recently sold a couple of guns to out of state buyers. Sent the guns to the buyer's FFL dealer and the transfer was effected. One of the dealers stated that I, as the seller, had to provide a copy of my Driver's License. The other dealer said it wasn't necessary. I then asked the manager of my shooting club, who has an FFL, the same question. He said I had to provide a copy of my license. That makes two for and one against. Who is correct ?

Thanks in advance

2. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Amboy, My FFL guy Requires A Valid D.L. Or A Picture Personal Identification Card. He can not Log in his ATF Book he Received a Gun From "UPS" joe90t

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Valid ID must be provided so that the receiving FFL can log the gun into their book. In the books I have it requires either name and address or name and license number in the acquisition section.

--- Chip King ---

4. spritc

spritc Active Member

I agree, must provide valid form of ID

5. amboy49

Actually it's not that I oppose providing the information but I am somewhat uncomfortable in allowing someone to have my driver's license complete with my address and the D. L. number. What if I cross out the D. L. number . . . or at least the last few digits. My concern is, obviously, over identity theft in this day and age.

Thanks for the responses

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

My dealer requires it from the seller to transfer a used gun to me, and I've had other dealers require it from me to transfer a used gun to the person I sold it to. I have no problem providing it to the FFL when they request it, but I'm only going to email or fax it directly to them. If they don't ask for it, I don't send it.

RE identity theft. I'm not sure there's anything that can really be done with just your driver's license. Crossing out the numbers probably isn't a bad idea (the dealer doesn't need that info anyways), but I don't think it could hurt you either...

7. 88oliver

88oliver Member

I ask for a copy of DL or a bill of sale with full name and address

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Yes, the permission to complete (or deny)the transaction is given by the NICS operators. On the other side of the coin, the FFL is responsible to try to prevent taking in a stolen gun. When a man walks up to our counter to try to sell a firearm, and answers "none of your F#####G business" when we ask for ID, we show him the door and tell him to never come back. Any responsible business man is not going to risk his lively hood, reputation and his business license on a gun that may have an illegal back ground. At the minimum, the paperwork and the investigation time required when a stolen firearm shows up in your store is a drain on the bottom line. Most legitimate sellers understand and are happy to show an ID. Many of them will even show a receipt from where they bought it, but we do not even ask for that.

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When you are shipping a gun you will go to a FFL holder and have them ship the gun. They will take the gun and your Drivers Lic and record it in their log. They will then ship the gun with the shops FFL copy to the other FFL holder of the buyers. He then will take the buyers Drivers Lic and record it in HIS shop log. You do not have to send a copy of your drivers lic at all. All he needs is a copy of a FFL from where the gun was shipped from.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Paranoid dealers do this. Normal guys don't. NOt required by ATF or any law I have heard of.

HM

11. amboy49

Why would I have to take a gun to a dealer and have him log it in and then ship it. I've never done. As far as I know I'm not violating any regulations by shipping the gun myself - as long as I ship it to an FFL for the transfer to the buyer.

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Just remember, the receiving FFL conducts his business the way he deems fit. If you can not, or will not, do it his way then he has the right to refuse. He is the one providing the service, therefor you do it his way.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.