1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

### D-DAY PLUS 78 YEARS ####

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Fox32, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox32

Fox32 Member

It is hard to imagine that it has been 78 years since the start of Hitler's ruin. Now, it is up to our generation to remmeber the Greatest Generation. Teach your kids, family and friends about these important victories and the many sacrifices that all servicemen and women gave and still do. Share those stories about your dad, grandpa or uncle. Pull out those pictures (TODAY!) and keep those memores alive. Share some today!

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

My 1st assignment after jump school was with the 101st where I learned quite a bit about my paratrooper brethren...a very courageous group of men...

Curt

grnberetcj_2008_0303348.jpg

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Thank you for your service.

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

if anyone has the chance, you should venture to France to visit the D-Day beaches. I was very fortunate to do so last year (Omaha Beach), end of Sept into early Oct. I posted some pics on a thread after I returned from my trip. See the pics in the link above.....well worth the trip.

5. surfcitydude

surfcitydude Member

My Dad and I were just talking about D-Day yesterday. He was there on a LST (landing ship tank) and witnessed the event first hand. After that battle, his ship was badly damaged and he was reassigned to the Pacific, where he was at Imo-Jima as well, on another LST. He really doesn't enjoy talking about the details of WWII, but recalls good memories of being in the Navy. My own personal hero!

6. Butterfingers

Butterfingers TS Member

Some of you may not know it, but when you jump out of airplanes time speeds up.
    68 years ago CBI'.

7. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

You are right; we should never forget the D-day participants - and we should never let our family and friends forget them.

Every April 18th I email everyone in my email address book to remind them of the 80 brave men who participated in Doolittle's raid on Tokyo.

My God please bless them all and keep them in a special place in Heaven. They surely deserve it.....

Mike

8. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Math was never a good subject for me!!!! For a great Father's Day gift, get Flags of our Fathers, Flyboys and or Unbroken. GREAT books!!!! Thanks for the pics and stories!

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Uh, 2012 minus 1944 is 68 years.

But even so, 68 years plus the youngest age for a soldier being 17 with parental consent means the youngest D-Day vet would be 85.

Wow.

10. jethro

jethro TS Member

Talked to my dad this morning and he told me to say a little prayer sometime today. I then realized the date. He said 68 years ago we were shelling Omaha Beach about this time and it wasn't long before they brought some dead and wounded Army Rangers aboard ship. He was a pointer on an anti aircraft gun on the Battleship USS Texas. He had just turned 18 a few weeks earlier. He was still on the Texas when they went to the Pacific. He got to use those Bo furs 40 mm guns quite a bit at Iwo Jima And Okinawa. He even got his picture taken with General Eisenhower A week before Normandy. Still doing pretty good for 86.Can't began to imagine what it must of been like for all those young men serving our great country back then. I am eternally great full.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  12. MR870

MR870 Member

To Horace Stegall,an older gentleman I proudly call a friend,who lost most of his company at Omaha Beach on D-DAY.They are all heroes in my eyes.I salute you all!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.