1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

D-DAY plus 57 years

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Fox32, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Just a quick note of thanks on the D-Day Anniversary and to our WWII vets that are dying at a fast pace these days. I wish I had asked my dad more about his WWII experiences while he was still alive. Also, thanks to ALL who serve our great country past and present. We are proud of you all! We owe no apologies!

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I to thank those who served.

A word to the wise. I have found out in life that it is not a good thing to ask about a vets time in the war. I have found that if you want to know about their time in WWII or other war's let them bring it up. Most do not want to talk about it or to remember their time over sea's.

3. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

My older brother was in the 2nd wave to hit the beaches on D-Day, that was one hell of a day, I'm probably lucky he is still among the living(just turned 88)!He never talked much about the war, after seeing some of the photo's from that day I can see why! Problem with today's politicians and others, they don't seem to understand that war is HELL and all about killing! That's what I was trained to do(Korea)! If we are going to send our fine young people into harms way the politicians need to get the hell out of their way and let them do what they are trained to do, kill people and WIN! Otherwise leave them home! Just my $0.02 worth.

4. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

57 years ago was 1954. I'm sure you meant 67 years ago. Anyway, we are free today because of their unselfish acts. I do miss my Dad and Uncles.

Tomas

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

Let me add my thanks and undying admiration for those that took part in not only D-Day but WWII in all theaters. We sent an entire generation off to war not knowing how many if any would return.

--- Chip King ---

6. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Auctioneer..............You are absolutely correct,my daddy served in the Pacific(10th Army),and was overseas for 42 months.........he rarely,if ever talked about his time in the war.I'll quote him now(rest his soul)"The guys that brag about war sat behind desks in Washington".God Bless 'em all.....for they were some VERY brave young men.

Smoke 'em all

D.P.Reynolds

7. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Gene,

I'm not taking issue with you, and I appreciate your brother's sacrifice. I am the primary care giver for my Pacific-vet father, and have been a caregiver for my father-in-law and uncle all WWII combat vets. The men and women of that time are the best we've ever had. Loosing them diminishes us. I also experienced my own taste of war in VN.

However, I would like everyone to understand that War is greed and envy and power - the killing and suffering and torture is simply a means to-an-end to achieve, or deny those goals.

War is young men dying so that old men can get rich and powerful. To paraphrase Edmund Burke, War is the end result of good men avoiding the face of evil. Today, more than ever, good men need to stand up to the greedy, envious and power-hungry men around us - not re-elect them.

It is my hope and prayer that we can use the memories and accomplishments of those good men, and this day, to recharge our own convictions, and confront this latest bunch of bastards. That is what memories are for, to avoid the mistakes of the past, and draw on successes.

IMHO,
    Kip

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I had an Uncle who was in the Pacific fighting the Jap's. He was on a mine sweeper. He NEVER talked about the war.

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Kip:
    Sometimes, war is about defending your country and your freedom.

God Bless all those who served in WW2 and those who serve now.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

67 years + 1 day for the Paratrooper's....

Curt

[​IMG]

11. soup

soup Member

Thank you to the folks of the Greatset Generation .

Also in June we had the invasion of Saipan-another very costly battle.

God bless all of them.

SOUP

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

On my website I have the published memoirs of my best friend regarding his fighting events of WWII. He traces his fighting into Germany and Korea... and some women experiences.

Neat father-image guy, but he went to see the Lord a few months ago. He lived to be 84, and was always shedding shrapnel. While he could still drive, he'd come over to my shop weekly with fresh apple pie and still-warm cookies. We'd drink coffee and talk for hours - probably the reason I let the phone ring.

You can click on "Hero for a Day" and download in PDF format for you reading pleasure.

I am reminded that my uncle from Sacramento served in the Pacific Theatre. I was watching a PBS special one time on TV, and saw Uncle Mac loading a 105. Damnedest shock to me seeing him shirtless handling one of those shells. He never, ever talked about his Marine service. Was the nicest guy in the world to me.

Whiz

13. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

My wife's uncle was killed on the beach on D-Day. He is buried in a military cemetery in France.

God Bless our servicemen, Past and Present.

14. jdomas

jdomas Member

They are having a remembrance ceremony today at the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA. It was to be open to the public at no charge and they were expecting several D-Day vets to be on hand. For those of you who have not been to Bedford, it is well worth the trip if you are in the area.

God Bless all who have served.
    JDomas

15. steele

steele TS Member

My dad lied about his age to join the Navy. He turned 16 in Oct. June 6 he was in the 2nd wave. 16 years old & involved in the greatest beach assault in history. He is & always will be my hero. 85 and going strong. Everyday I have him is like Christmas to me. Him & guys like him literally saved the world. Butch from Pgh

16. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Gene,

Like I said, war is about 'denying' some collection of a$$holes their efforts at greed, envy and power. I stand by my statement.

I just spent the day taking care of my 90 year old Dad, a 42 month veteran of the Pacific campaign, including Macon Island. I also spent 60 days flying in and out and around Khe Sanh in 1968, I recognize the defense of liberty and patriotism. The fact that great men are forged in times of war doesn't make it any less heinous, or opportunistic.

It's not my intention to distract from the accomplishments of these fine men, simply to shed some light on why they were called to offer so much of themselves. All, in the hopes that when we are faced with the call again, we will respond with full thought.

Kip

17. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

Although my dad passed away two years ago, I want to honor his service and life by mentioning that he was a German interpreter for the US Army and was in Germany from 1942-44. He never would discuss much about the war. The only think he did say was that after the Allies captured a concentration camp near him how horrid the conditions were there. After he died I found pictures that he took of the camp which showed the mounds and piles of human bodies.

Before he died he gave me all his war memorabilia that he brought home with him including a number of swastika arms bands, German rifle daggers a mint condition original manuscript leather bound copy of Mein Kampf and a half dozen beer steins that he "found" while there. What's interesting, his mom and dad (my grandpa and grandma) were both born in Berlin and came over in the early 1900's. My dad said growing up, they didnt speak english in their home until he started high school. Needless to say, he could speak German fluently to the point that initially some of his fellow soldiers didnt trust him.

Also, I must say that at the time of his death, he was sickened by what he saw was happening to his beloved USA. I can't imagine what he would think if he knew who was now President.

18. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Thanks for remembering- my Dad jumped this day 67 years ago!He's gone now but his bravery and love for his country is with me everyday!

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

God Bless those courageous souls who got it done back then.

-Gary

20. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

My Father was stationed on the battleship California when Pearl Harbor was attacked by the japs.I buy my Buddy poppies everytime I see A VET.They did a hell of a lot for this country!God Rest their souls.
    PJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.