1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

D-DAY JUNE 6, 1944

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BigM-Perazzi, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

"Lest We Forget". Thanks for the reminder.

JC

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

We are loosing the remaining Vets of that era by the day. I always take time to thank those who identify themselves by whatever means they choose. (hats,shirts ect) They are a proud bunch that ask for nothing. They are my HEROs! God Bless all who have served, past, current and future. Jake Jacobs, 1SGT US Army Retired

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

May the world NEVER forget the sacrifices that generation has made.

OOH RAH!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

My Dad was on the beach, "Bloody Omaha" he called it.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I don't think the world will ever know the hardships and the sacrifices that so many of our soldiers endured over there.

Nor will some ever appreciate them.

God bless them one and all! Amen........

Hauxfan!

6. Ertz

Ertz Member

Hauxfan you are SO right!

My Father-in-law Glen flew three (I think) missions on D-Day. He was shot down a few days later and spent the next 13 months or so as a POW. For the last nine months he was in what was called the shoe leather express. They had no place to keep these soldiers so they got up every morning and marched all day. Bedded down in a barn somewhere and got up the next day to do it all again.

The things he has told me have really made me realize just what the cost of freedom is. God bless them all and God bless America!!!!!!!!

7. DJM

DJM Member

My father was in the 359th infantry reg. He landed mid morning on Utah beach. His division (90 th) held the record for the most continuous days engaged, fighting right up to the end of the war. He sustained 3 wounds. My wifes father flew 3 of his 50+ bomber missions on D-day. I often think of them, both passed away. Don Miller

8. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

9. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

HAUXFAN YOU ARE SO RIGHT

GOD BLESS THEM FOR OUR FREEDOM

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Freedom is not free and it is never paid in full. God bless all who have served from Lexington Green to the Green Zone.

11. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

My Dad is 85 years old today! He celebrated his 21st birthday off Utah Beach. He was a coxswain on small boats and made several trips into the beach. He still finds it so hard to talk about.

12. oletymer

oletymer Member

My last remaining uncle who is 94 was there. Luckily for him they went in later as he was in a tank crew. He said the foot soldiers really had a tough time and it was the only time he was thankfull to be in the tank.

13. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Can you imagine looking down the barrel of those German guns and realizing you're going to be facing all that fire.

Unbelieveable what they did.

Not to diminish any other conflicts/battles but when I think of Normandy or Iwo Jima, it just is hard to even fathom.

John Houle
    USMC vet

14. Gilly

Gilly TS Member

handlepuller,

I just thought I was having a bad year in Viet Nam. I cannot imagin what these young men must have gone through.
    Must have been a different breed.

Bob Gilchrist

USMC

I hope we never forget these men, my father was there, but he was in the occupational force not the landing forces.

15. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

My Father jumped in early in the morning of June 6, 2/506th PIR. Kinda funyy, some years later, many in fact, I was in the 506th in sunny S.E. Asia. Truly the "Greatest Generation"

Van

16. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

Paul - I couldn't agree with you more. I have had the TV/Radio on since about 8:00am. The sad thing is I have not heard 1 comment mentioning D-Day but at least 50+ talking headgs gushing on and on about the Obama and how HE is going to make America better. Sad.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Barrack owes his ability and evidently the acceptance by most, to dis-respect our flag and national anthem to those soldiers that gave so much for our freedoms! How he got to this point should be the question asked by all Americans! Freedom isn't free, my oldest brother died on the beach in Normandy on D-day in that struggle by paying the ultimate price! God bless all our soldiers, then and now! Hap

18. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Pick up Ken Burns' DVD set -- "The War" -- will be about the best money you have ever spent. Being a child of the '70s, there was a lot that I did not know about the war until I viewed this awesome documentary. History books do not do it justice.

John

19. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

For those of us whom had or have family members that took part in Operation Overlord, today was the day of days.

SUPREME HEADQUARTERS ALLIED EXPEDITIONARY FORCE Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of liberty loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers in arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.
    Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.
    But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man to man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!
    I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory! Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Order of the Day
    June 6, 1944

I read my first book about WW2 when I was in 8th grade. Donald R.Burgetts' "Currahee". That was 1967. Twenty three years after the Normandy invasion. Thirty four years later in 2001 "Band of Brothers" comes on TV and to my great surprise the battle cry of the 506th is "Currahee". I was WAY ahead of the curve on that story.LOL.. If you don't already own the DVD set of Stephen Ambroses book, run to the store and buy it. You will not be disappointed.

AJ100

20. trap906

trap906 Member

hey Sbray, you mentioned the Hurtgen forrest, my grandad was there dec. 44. said it was terrible, he ended up with pnemonia. they finally got him and some others out when the weather broke, he said they were trapped a long time without proper clothing, low rations, low ammo. most of his buddies didn't make it out. said he didn't think he'd ever see Arkansas again. he passed on a few years back at age 94. some pretty good stories, when he would talk about it. he sure did love the M1 and the BAR...memories..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.