1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

D&D Clinic in Elburn, IL - Results

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

When Dean and Dennis say something and they feel strongly about it, watch out. You're probably going to go through a live demonstration first hand and learn it directly. This is a strength; not a weakness. Example:

Doubles sets you up to improve your singles and handicap games. After all the doubles on the second day of the clinic, running 25 from the 16 was like falling off a log. 3 on our squad ran them easily and everyone shot well. I noticed the lack of mental chatter in myself. In doubles you set yourself up for the second target, smack the first and go. There's no time for mental chatter. This cleaned up my mental game completely. Wow. What a difference.

They also widened my stance so I can get the wider targets, if I need to go out there and pop one. Also took away my XF choke and moved my pattern all the way up via rib adjustment (DOWN in front is UP at the target). They said you set your gun up for yardage and learn to shoot it from 16. This represents a big change for me, but I'm motivated to adopt it because my yardage scores have been dropping as my 16s have been improving. I knew something was wrong. Been working it backwards.

They also fixed a slight cant in my gun hold by moving the comb out a little. The gun felt better instantly. I hadn't noticed the problem all year since I took the stock apart (and yes, didn't get it back exactly the way it was).

We saw one shooter go from a one eyed shooter to smacking targets with both eyes open. And another learned the value of a gun that fits after borrowing one that put his eye in just the right spot. He shot better instantly.

I really enjoyed the clinic. I was surprised at the privacy afforded various shooters as Dean and Dennis helped each one on the line individually. Some group discussions, plenty of shooting. Lots of real help. Dean and Dennis take it seriously. Dean was up at 4AM working the clinic.

At the end Dennis and Dean had a shootin' match from the 27. Dennis won. Dean looked a little pained at times (back problems) and dropped two. Guys were packing up and stayed for the show. Nice close to a great weekend.

Oh, yeah. Dennis tried to get me with a delayed pull exercise. I was on one and he pulled 4 normally. Then he threw in a 3 second delay, nearly causing me to come out of my hold and start again. But I held my eyes steady and got it. He kept trying and my proficiency improved. The idea is to move when you see the target, not when you call. Good thing my ts.com coach has been emphasizing this. Strong exercise.

Guys pitched in at the grill as needed, but it would be good to have a point man that doesn't attend. I'd consider doing that next spring especially if a squad of youth shooters takes the clinic. That would be great to be a part of.

Thanks to Dean and Dennis for a wonderful clinic. I feel like I'm on a team with everybody pulling for everybody else..."What did you change and how did it work for you?"...It's hard to describe the cohesiveness and real support that starts at the top with the instructors.

2. joe kuhn

I'm going to add to this as things come to mind.

Dean works with one group and Dennis with another. You might not know what's going on over there, but you don't care. You're working on your stuff for good reasons. I asked once and it turns out Dennis was doing a special drill for the folks in his group that the rest of us didn't need. We had our own drill that we needed to do.

You get the feeling they have a bag of tricks a mile long and apply their experience based on what they see. Everyone is working on something and it's centered on a skills analysis.

Dean and Dennis touch base by themselves all the time between the two trap fields. Totally appropriate.

Towards the end of the second day, we were finishing up a round and the wind started to blow slightly into our faces. I noticed it but didn't raise my hold point. Loss. At the end Dennis brought it up. The target before mine was effected and I should have adapted immediately. One target can make the difference between winning and loosing. Ah hah!

Not much gets past these two guys.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Well done JOe. Well written, properly explained and using enough specifics to illustrate. A great TS.com post. Sorry I missed it.

Jack

4. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I enjoyed myself as well, got a lot out of it. Thanks Joe for putting it together and handling the logistics. Met some great guys, great shooters, TS.com posters.

Dave Eberhart

5. joe kuhn

Thanks guys.

I was glad to work on the clinic because without it, I wouldn't have been able to bring D&D here by myself.

I could have done some things differently, but that's how you learn. Better clarity on the trap help tip would have been good. $5/day per person is what I normally give regardless of where I go. Should have stated a suggested amount up front, remembering a tip is an individual choice, so whatever is given must be graciously accepted.

We didn't have the price of the targets for doubles before hand and had to visit the club house to get one. Good thing the club president was there. He decided and we went forward.

Should have visited with the trap help coordinator at the beginning of each day.

Real hamburger instead of premade frozen patties would have been nice. There's a butcher shop right there in Elburn. Next time?

Being the point man and attending was a bit much when collecting the target money and cooking the lunch. Had to stop shooting. Having a grill right there was good. Dean's nephew jumped in and helped out with the cooking. Other guys did too, which I appreciated.

Dennis ran out of target paper on day 1. Ken the club manager was helpful in getting us some cardboard.

I got me a hat! Thanks Cory. Cory also took pictures with a good camera. Hope to post.

The concern for helping each and every attendee was there. Action by the instructors was based on this concern.

Later, Joe

6. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Joe, I don't know why you are bringing up the "tip", unless you like to argue.<br>
    And why do you suggest it was $5 per day? You came around to collect for the<br> target fee's and said " It's $75.00 for the targets and $20.00 for the trap help."<br>
    Now since we had 12 shooters and 1 trap kid that was being paid by the club, I<br>
    thought a $240.00 tip was pretty generous. When I questioned it, you and George<br>
    tried to say the kid wasn't being paid by the club, we were paying him. As we talked about it<br>
    you said the club paid him from 8:30 AM to 2PM, then we had to pay him. I thought<br>
    $5.50 per round was enough for the club to pay the help, guess I was wrong.<br>
    As far as George's comment to me, he won't have to worry about me ever coming back<br>
    to the 2008 ATA Gun Club of the Year, St.Charles Sportsmens Club. What a joke.<br>
    Harv Shell.

7. Harv Shell

Also, hats off to Dennis DeVault. As soon as this came up, he threw $100.00 in to<br>
    help defray the costs. Harv.

8. joe kuhn

Hey Harv. I made a mistake, ok? I should have said from the start - the suggested tip is $5 per day and it's really up to you. This is what I give where ever I go. I tried to clarify this in my post. I'm not wanting to argue, just set things up differently if I ever do this again.

I appreciated your comment and actually agree with you on the amount. Other things happened that could have been done better as well. If you give up on this and never come back, then how am I ever going to shoot with you? Give me some room to turn around here Harv.

You shoot a mean doubles game.

9. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Harv, I don't think he was trying to argue, in fact, Joe was pointing out that he could have handled it better. And yes, Dennis basically put it to rest with his $100, super stand up move. Its not worth clouding a great weekend over $10 or $20 bucks. It was great watching you shoot, you set the bar really high.

Dave Eberhart

10. joe kuhn

Next time: I'm tipping $10 for the weekend, George wants to give $20...Harv, what are you in for?...

It stays up to the individual.

11. Harv Shell

Joe, it depends on whether I am paying them as an employee or giving a tip.<br>
    Dave, I'm starting a pool on how soon we see you on the cover of Trap & Field.<br>
    Harv

12. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Harv, thats getting way ahead, I'd be happy to just throw up some of those inkballs I saw everywhere between 16 and 27 yards and in doubles. Thanks also for the friendly etiquette tip.

13. WindyCity

WindyCity TS Member

Here are a few pics from the clinic. I had a good time, learned a lot, and caught up with some good friends. It was great meeting all of the shooters, which is one of the reasons we all shoot. Joe, thanks for putting this together, your hard work does not go unappreciated.

Next time let me know and I will bring 100% beef burgers. LOL!! The clinic was great and Dennis and Dean were top notch. I guess I better get out and practice what I learned since the Grand is only 2 1/2 weeks away.

Look forward to seeing everyone again.

Shoot well.

Cory

[​IMG]

<br>

[​IMG]

<br>

[​IMG]

<br>

[​IMG]

<br>

[​IMG]

<br>

[​IMG]

<br>

[​IMG]

<br>

[​IMG]

14. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Great pics, I like the last one with the shell getting spit out.

15. Harv Shell

Is that Dan Bonillas in that last pic? LOL.

16. WindyCity

WindyCity TS Member

No Harv, 5th Pic..LOL Where are the Thunderbird's??? HEEEEY, The Fonz wants to know.

Already have your coordinating shirt on order.

17. joe kuhn

If Dean's back is good, he'll be tough to beat. You should see his determination going after doubles. Smoke, smoke. Dennis is no slouch either. It'll be a heck of a rematch.

Thanks Cory. Love the Federal paper shot.

18. Harv Shell

Joe, you did a real good job attending to everything, including the food, drinks and snacks.<br>
    George is the one who honked me off with his comments, since he acted like he was speaking for the club, my remarks stand.<br>
    Cory, thanks for posting the pink panther pic. I'm sure my wife and Dennis are proud of themselves on that idea. LOL. Harv.

19. joe kuhn

Ok Harv. But I don't think he was speaking for the club. It was his personal opinion - what he wanted to see happen in terms of a tip.

20. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Hey guys I didn't take the clinic...wish I had known it was going on I would have liked to. After a day of practice on Sunday I stopped over to meet Dennis. I wanted to meet him since I have heard such great things about him and just read a great article about how he builds the Infinity. I have to say Dennis is as nice as they come and is exactly the type of guy you want to buy a gun from. I am not sure what my future is for trap guns but I will say if I ever need a stock Dennis is the guy! He was nice enough to set up an Infinity for me to shoot and I have to say it is a very nice shotgun!!!!

Harv,
    I of course was not around to hear what was said but I sure hope you come back and visit our club. It is always a pleasure to have great shooters to shoot with! I hope the club was accommodating for hosting the clinic. We have talked about trying to get more people like Dennis to come and host clinics, if there is something that needs to be improved please let myself or Cle know. I know that I take a lot of pride in our club and spend a lot of time coaching the youth team. We always have room for improvement and welcome any suggestions. I would be more then happy to forward your comments to our board.

David Tibbals

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.