1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

D.C. pays big in Heller case

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by wireguy, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/29/dc-ordered-to-pay-1m-in-historic-gun-case/?intcmp=trending

From Fox News:

D.C. Ordered to Pay $1M in Historic Gun Case

Published December 29, 2011

| Associated Press

Print
    Email
    Comments

WASHINGTON – The District of Columbia has been ordered to pay more than $1 million in attorneys' fees as a result of a historic gun case that was ultimately decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Dick Heller sued the city in 2003 over its ban on handgun ownership and the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the ban in June 2008, saying it violated the Second Amendment.

A federal judge on Thursday issued an opinion awarding Heller's attorneys $1,137,072.27 in fees and expenses. The attorneys had argued they should be awarded $3.1 million. Attorneys for the city said the figure should be closer to $840,000.

A spokesman for the D.C. Office of the Attorney General said city lawyers were studying the opinion. A telephone message left for Heller's lead lawyer, Alan Gura, wasn't immediately returned. The judge's opinion awards Gura approximately $662,000 for more than 1,500 hours of work on the case, paying him at a rate of $420 per hour. Five other members of Heller's team are also compensated.

After the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in 2008, the city rewrote its gun laws and for the first time in more than 30 years permitted handgun ownership. The new laws, however, include numerous registration requirements.

Those requirements prompted Heller to sue again, saying that the new laws are too restrictive. That case is still pending, with a federal appeals court ruling in October that the city must provide evidence justifying what it called "novel" handgun registration requirements including vision tests. The city is considering changes to the law that, if implemented, could impact the case.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/29/dc-ordered-to-pay-1m-in-historic-gun-case/?intcmp=trending#ixzz1hzBM23UT

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Good. And sue them again and again and again into submission with the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Money talks and still gets people's attention!

Sue until they are broke, but that won't stop them, Chuckie, Nancey, Brady are still around and thumbing their nose's at the Constitution,

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Rick,

You mean Cook County IL. No ban on handguns where i live in the Southern part of the State. I have my share. In fact we have youth handgun silhouette shooting league starting up this spring. Please don't lump Cook County with the rest of the fine citizens in the Southern very Pro-gun part of the State.

I'm not saying there are not plenty of laws that need some work in this State. I would like to see a CCW finally pushed thru for one.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Rick,

There was a recent survey in one of the local papers asking IL residents if they felt Chicago/Cook Co. should be lopped off into its own State. It was like 70%+ for YES. I wish it were that simple. My Trap shooting buddy is a local Chief of Police and he said all LEO's he knows are in favor of the CCW. That is the difference between Chicago and the rest of the State i guess.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

vis-a-vis IL...

I live in PA, and we have had the state government take over many issues via 'preemption.'

Neat idea - The state says the STATE makes certain laws - and only the state, any county/city/local laws that go against it are, with the stroke of a pen, made null and void.

We did this with firearms laws - about to do it with cell phone laws (the state had a mish-mash of local laws - easy to break if you didn't know exactly where you were on a map).

Florida has done the same thing with firearms as well.

Might not Illinois benefit from the same???

7. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

The only problem is that the residents of DC are the ones who pay this bill. Shame they are too stupid to vote certain folks out of office.

Pat

8. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Yes, Illinois!

Hey, let's move the Grand there and spend a jillion dollars on a shooting complex in the most gun unfriendly state in the union! Oh, yeah, we already did that.

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good luck collecting that money. They (DC, Dishonest & Criminal) refused to abide by the original ruling and stalled for another year or two before even acknowledging they been beaten in court.

In cases such as this public officials should be held accountable and imprisoned when they fail to comply immediately. All that'd need to happen is to put a couple of them in Club Fed and the rest would get in line quickly.

10. Keith Uffelmann

Keith Uffelmann Member

Mallard2----Did you forget that the TAXPAYERS of the State of Illinois footed the bill for the construction of the shooting complex at Sparta? Something in excess of $30 Million. The ATA is just a tenant paying some rent for the three shoots each year.

I've lived in Illinois for over 43 years and paid taxes, but do NOT support those anti-gun factions. I'm still amazed that the legislators of our state permitted that construction to take place. It was probably a bone thrown to the down state legislators for their support of bigger pet projects for the dominate population center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.