1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CZ USA Redhead Target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SouthMetro Shooter, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Hey guys. Looking for opinions on this gun, the CZ-USA Redhead Target, from anyone who shoots them. I know it is far from a high end shooting gun. But I am a highschooler so I just want a gun that shoots for 5,000+ rounds without wearing out to be too heavily. I was out working at my gun club and a level 1 nra coaching course pulled me and another guy away so that the coaches could coach us. It was fun being able to use terrible form and seeing how they corrected it. I stupidly forgot my gun at home since it was my first day. Anyways... I got to shoot one of these, 25 straight the first time shooting it as the factory set up. The guys said it is a demo gun. Does that mean they are not for sale yet? If they are, where would I likely be able to find one or order one through.
    Thanks everybody

2. captainkac

captainkac TS Member

You have a Private Message

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You would be better off with a used Remington 870 Trap or 1100 Trap to start with. These are far better guns and will serve you much better for trap.

4. SouthMetro Shooter

I do take that into consideration. But I am a highschooler and I like what I shoot best. I mean as just the factory setup with no modifications to it, I shot a 25 straight my first round with it. Thats a good enough shooter for me. I have a Beretta A390 Sporting that I use on skeet and sporting (and do very well with) but I cant get above a 22 with it on the trap field.

5. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

I have shot 3-4 rounds of trap with the exact gun you speak of standing next to the CZ Rep. that help put the design together. It is indeed set up for competition and with the stepped rib will shoot about 60/40 - 65/35 out of the box. The only thing you need to know is that if you are use to seeing the fig. 8 or snowman when you look at the beads that sight picture will make it shoot over 100% high. The gun shoots 60/40 with the beads in line. Graet gun for the money!

6. danthemanx07

danthemanx07 Member

I don't own a CZ shotgun, but can tell you that their rifles (rimfire and center fire) and pistols are exceptionally well made. I can't imagine them producing shotguns that don't live up to their well-establish standards.

As far as "not being made for competition" - go over to shotgun world and check the CZ forum for a test being done by a member there with his CZ O/U. I think his is a Canvasback model, but it should give you a good idea of the amount use that a CZ is capable of sustaining.

Disinterested observer,
    Daniel

7. bubba68

bubba68 Member

Was it the gun or the coaching that got you the 25 straight?

Your 390 is more than capable of producing a 25. Remember, it's the indian, not the arrow.

If you were to post a thread asking for a good, solid starter trapgun, you would get several responses stating the 390/391 is a great starting place(among other responses like 1100, citori, 682, etc.). I would bet you would get "0" CZ responses. Don't get me wrong, I am sure CZ shotguns are fine, but you already have one of the best clays guns made.

You're young, save your money for something more important. You have plenty of years ahead of you for spending money on guns! For now, spend that money on girls - you will have more fun!!!

Good Luck and Good Shooting.

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

The gun you are looking for and the one you should invest in, is the one that shoots where you look and is comfortable when doing so. Your Beretta is a great gun, but if it doesn't work on trap targets for you, then it's not the gun for your trap game.

Like you said, you're a young guy on a budget and If the CZ meets your budget and improves your scores you've answered your own question.

Unless CZ has brought shotgun production in house, the guns they have been selling are made by Huglu. Some Huglu guns, but not all aren't as durable as some other brands and may or may not have failures with high volumes of rounds.

I know a few years ago someone was shooting a Huglu trap gun and won events two years running at the Grand American, so something must be good about them.

Surfer

9. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I've owned three CZ shotguns. The first one broke after one flat of shells. Sent it back and it was replaced. The second one broke after three boxes, yes, just 75 shots. Got another replacement and promptly sold it for a couple of hundred dollar loss. No more Asia Minor wonders for me. Dogs.

10. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Buy the CZ and beat the snobs into the ground by out shooting them at every opportunity.

IMHO

11. SouthMetro Shooter

Ya, I have no clue why I can't get the 25 with my Beretta. I got the 25 with my plain jane winchester 1400 mk2 on my sixth round of trap. And I have yet to get the 25 with the Beretta after 30+ rounds of shooting it. And then I got a 25 with the Redhead on my first and only round with that. And actually on the same day I shot a 25 with a Perazzi TM1 and that was the one and only time I have shot one of those. I would aim at buying one of those but WAY out of my budget. But I just can't seem to get it with my Beretta.

12. bubba68

bubba68 Member

Then shoot the Winchester 1400!

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I would have killed for a CZ when I started shooting in 1963 with a JC Higgins pump with attached choke device!!

14. cf4952

cf4952 Member

Have you patterned the Beretta?
    Might be too low for trap. You can change the shims in the stock to give a different sight picture. Good luck

15. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

I too have handled this new CZ product and I am wondering how many commenting here are actually seen one.

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Regarding the CZ gun.

I have seen and shot their sporting clays model. It is a nice gun. Very nice. It has a lot of enhancements their field guns don't have.

I hadn't seen this new Redhead Target model before, so I must retract my initial statement that it is a field gun. I suspect the new Redhead Target Model is very similar to the sporting clays gun I saw a couple years ago.

As noted above, these guns are made in Turkey by Huglu. Huglu has a "checkered" past, but I think CZ is doing a very good job of managing Huglu on the CZ brand name guns.

Here's what this gun is not. It is not time tested for years of rigorous use, like some other trap guns are.

Will it be a good gun? Only time will tell.

I have nothing against CZ. Indeed, I personally know the CZ-USA President, and I have one of their guns, which I like a lot. And CZ has supported our club over the years, and I greatly appreciate that.

I'm just reluctant to recommend this gun to a high school kid who is just getting started in trap shooting.

You already have an excellent gun for trap shooting. I suspect it just doesn't fit you properly for trap shooting, which is why you aren't scoring well with it.

17. SouthMetro Shooter

Ya I don't believe it fits me properly. I keep toying with the idea of sending the stock to tron and getting and adjustable comb and butt plate put on it. But I have not had the time to yet. The LOP is great, but the fit of the comb needs to be up and to the right.

18. SouthMetro Shooter

Suppose that I may as well show you guys the 2 guns that I shoot right now. My Beretta 390 and my Winchester 1400 MKII

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The huglus have notorious poor triggers and inner works. They are also flat shooting guns. Too flat for most trapshooters (shooting a rising target).

870's, 1100's, SuperX-1's all usually shoot pretty flat. A $200 adjustable comb will fix that if you don't mind looking down a ski ramp.

Sounds like you don't really know what POI you need. Personally, I'd buy an 1100 trap with an adjustable comb and get some experience before making an "investment".

20. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

We have a demo Redhead Target at our club. I have not shot it personally, but I really think it pulls up nice and has a good feel to it. Craftsmanship looks very good for a gun in it's price range. Will it hold up to years of 10,000 rounds a year, I can't answer that.

CZ-USA has special pricing for SCTP members on these guns and for the $$ I don't think it's a bad choice for entry to intermediate level shooters.

SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cz redhead target

cz redhead target for sale
cz redhead trap
cz usa redhead skeet

cz usa redhead target

cz usa redhead target for sale
cz usa redhead target with adjustable kick plate
cz usa trap