1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

CZ Shotguns how good?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wy_don, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wy_don

wy_don TS Member

I have a cz Readhead, 28ga over,under, and it is great. I tried one round only of skeet - did as well as any round of skeet, i.e., crappy, too light for me, after 60 years using the big 12, just too darned old to change. Excellent workmanship and craftsmanship. Will sell if interested.

Don ewing, Wyoming
  2. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

3. itsnotyou

itsnotyou TS Member

Bought a 28ga Redhead for the Wife to shoot sporting clays with, No problems yet and her scores went up. Needless to say she is happy with it.

Jack
  4. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

Save your Money.. If its made by HUGLU is garbage, It will never hold up under alot of usage such as Trap shooting.. Like they say " Hu-Glued" it together Richie
  5. kriegazzi

kriegazzi TS Member

I had 2 of them, a 12 and 20 ga., both Woodcock models. The trigger on the 20 gauge broke after less than 300 rounds put through it and the 12 gauge's trigger hung up occasionally. IMO they are not worth their modest cost.
  6. pjh

pjh TS Member

we have had a few in the shop after about 400 rounds the fire pins were peaned... nice to look at but I would not buy one,
  7. neo

neo Member

I have a 28ga Redhead that has fired several thousand rounds,with no trouble. Wood to metal fit very good and you can buy three of them for the price of a Browning.
  8. Loyac

Loyac Member

Don't confuse or compare what Ceska Zbrojovka (CZ) manufactures in the Czech Republic with the garbage Huglu puts out in Turkey. John
  9. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Gordon... I don't know how you could possibly call these "great guns". CZ started importing the Huglu line from Turkey a few years ago. They first had SXSs, O/Us and Autoloaders. The failure rate of the automatics caused CZ to drop them. The failure rate of the SXS guns is almost as bad.

I bought one of these junks, sold on the cosmetics vs the low cost. I wanted it as a rainy day bird gun and to play with on the Skeet field. I bought a Ringneck (SXS)in .410 and would have been happy if it would last a few hundred rounds a year for about ten years. It lasted about 6 boxes of shells before the firing pin broke - that was after the saftey broke. I took it to a local Smith, who would touch it, saying that it would only break again in short order because of the cheap lousy design. I sent the gun back to CZ and they replaced it. Of course, the replacement gun had lousy wood and terrible case coloring. The second gun lasted exactly 23 shots before the firing pin broke. I'm now trying to get them to replace that gun with a rifle, even though I'll be several hundred dollars out of pocket. Gordon, do you know how the firing mechanism works on the Ringneck? Probably not.

Gordon, if to say that these guns are junk shows that someone does not know guns only serves to show what you know, which of course, is very little. To make a comments like not needing a parts kit like a Perazzi only show a complete lack of knowledge. That was, to date, the most ignorant statement you've made.

Huglu guns are about two step worse than the poorest Spanish guns from the 1960s. They are going to have to do much better if they expect to survive in this market.
  10. cbxchris

cbxchris Member

From personal experience you have a 50/50 chance of getting a good one. Seems some go for a long period with no problems and others are just junk. I`ve owned them and so have several close friends. Its a shame too. They appear to be a fairly well crafted gun with acceptable triggers for the money. I personally wouldn`t own another and to compare them to a browning is a LONG stretch in my book.
  11. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

As to the firing pin problems that Gordy refuses to recognize, they are related to the guns with the fixed pins brazed to the hammer. My best guess is that the hardness of the pins are lost when they are brazed to the hammers, causing the peening of the pins and/or outright breakage. If the pins were of the common retractible type in the receiver.... or even if they were floated attachments to the hammers like on a Smith & Wesson revolver, it would be a more reliable setup.
  12. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Gordy, to your ascertainment bias, I call BS!

Too many stories abound of broken CZ SHOTGUNS to say they're better than a Browning.

An actual CZ pistol or rifle, right on, a HUGLU made "CZ" shotgun, not so much.
  13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Active Member

I own three of the Huglu's 28.16 and 410. i enjoy each and find them to be a great value good fit of wood to metal smooth action. Nice engraving that they have many options for. They are a bit heavy but thats a plus for me as it controls my swing well. I've hunted shot trap, skeet and sportiing clays with all three and never had a failure.
  14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Can't say as I've ever shot one, but I am going on Wednesday to their offices in Kansas City, KS to meet with their president, Alice Poluchova. Nice lady. She and her husband Rob shoot a lot of sporting clays at our club in Lenexa, KS.

She is donating some items to be raffled off to raise funds for the Kansas State University Trap Club.

I had always heard their rifles and handguns were top notch.

I am disappointed to hear bad reports about their shotguns, though I know they are made in Turkey by Huglu and not in the Czech Republic.

Their Woodcock over-under looks like a very pretty gun.

Tim
  15. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

tim99,

If you are meeting the CZ people, please ask them where their shotguns come from and who is the real manufacturer. Then please post her response. I know a number of people who have their rifles and handguns, and they are all very happy w/them. Their shotguns appear to be of lesser grade and quality.
  16. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner Member

I have nothing but good things to say about my CZ canvas back 20 guage. I bought it thinking that if I scuffed it up while hunting I wouldn't feel bad about it because it only cost me $569. However, it has turned out to be an excellent gun. I decided to shoot it for sporting clays and skeet just to get use to it and break it in. I've got 3,000 rounds through it with zero problems. I've also killed a bunch of pheasants with it. The only thing I can say negative about them is they have a heavy trigger which is easily fixed with a trigger job. I am 100% satisfied with my CZ.

Kent
  17. BustClays

BustClays Member

Re CZ rifles. I read all this great stuff about them as if they're just about perfect. I have owned four of them and they all needed a tremendous amount of trigger work to even be considered a "decent" gun. When you remove the stock all you see is tool marks everywhere and a very rough finish on the stocks, internally. And you're lucky if you get anything close to a floated barrel. Buy a Tikka centerfire or a Browning T-bolt or Kimber 22, unless you are looking for a project or are willing to turn a blind eye to subpar quality.

Bustclays
  18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Active Member

I own three Huglu O/U's a 16, 28 and a 410. I'd buy another one in a heart beat the 16 and 28 are a matched set the wood to metal fit is nera perfect and the engraving is awesome. The guns are a bit heavy but that helps my otherwise to fast swing buy, shoot and enjoy.
  19. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

How come nobody shoots trap, skeet or sporting with them (other than hackers)?
  20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Dove Commander,

I met with Alice Poluchova and Larry Poore of CZ-USA today. Indeed, their guns are manufactured by Huglu in Turkey. The guns even say Huglu on the monoblock.

I looked at a couple of their shotguns and to me, on the surface, they look like very nice firearms. I have never shot nor owned one, so I can't speak to that.

bridgetoofar,

Probably because all their models are field models. No sporting models...yet.

While I was there I saw a prototype sporting clays gun. Adjustable comb, 32" barrels, good weight, very nice trigger (they let me dry-fire it.) It felt very good to shoulder. However I do not know whether this will become a production model.

Tim
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cz canvasback review

cz over under review

cz over under shotguns reviews

cz shotgun reviews over under

cz shotguns

cz usa over under shotgun reviews