1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cystosocopy - Update

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by capvan, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

People wanted an update so...

Bladder tumor showed up on CT. 80% chance it's cancer. Surgery next Thursday.

Ended up not getting the in-office cystosocopy. But I guess I'd better get used to them for the follow-ups.

Bummer day, didn't even feel like shooting tonight, our weekly shoot.

cap

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Cap, I had it done approxiately 15yrs ago. Though a little uncomfortable, it's not so intolerable with a local that I would risk complications from anesthesia or suffer the recovery. Good luck with the outcome.

Robert

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wishing you luck and that all results will be favorable for you.

4. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

The Cystosocopy will only take a few minutes.The local they talk about is also the lube they insert in the penis.They will add water to expand the bladder for a better look..Sometimes they will have you take some valumn before the procedure..They put you in a chair with stirups just like they do for the girls.The old way was using a optical glass tube to look thru..Now it is a camera set-up..Are they looking for tumors? I have this done every six months..Thinking about it is worst than having it done..A good doctor will also check your prostrate at the same time..Hope he has little hands and short fingers.Hope you have a good outcome.

5. KRE

KRE TS Member

They went in every 9 weeks for two years to check progress of my bladder Cancer, plus 3 weeks in a row after each Cysco, for BCG treatment.
    As said, it's not all that bad of a visit. Biggest thing is, if you have an enlarged prostate you will feel it also but again, it's not to bad.

Now for the other shoe, if the Nurse that gets you ready is good looking you may look forward to the visit,... but not by much.

Mine is done at a teaching hospital, so every once and awhile the Doc brings a crowd it so they can do a look see, I started charging per head after 10 folks. While their watching the TV screen it's easy to pick out those that are only there for the "View".

All in all it's not that bad. To those that have Smoked, or been around chemicals in your life, I'd suggest a look see just to be sure everything is OK. Once you start down that Cancer road, many things well change in your life, none of it good.

6. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i agree. They brought in three students. I told the doctor that i wanted a talent fee for being the "talent" for the day. The one doctor was a woman and she ALMOST laughted. Then I said i wanted to know where the appointment desk was. The doctor looked puzzled??? I said I enjoyed it and my insurance paid for it and i wanted an appointment for the next three wednesdays. Unfortunately the woman doctor broke up and had to leave the room. Just having a little fun/ Motordoc

7. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

This may be a little graphic, but it is true. My urologist is a little Chinese man. The nurse gets me all prepped and ready to go. I’m in the stirrups and he walks in, looks down and says “It’s too small”. I said nobody ever complained before. Without even cracking a smile, he says to the nurse, “forceps”. He proceeds to insert this strange looking forceps in you know where, and increases the diameter of the hole so that he can insert the rod. Damn, I thought I was going to die. No anesthesia what so ever. Never again for any reason am I going to have this done, unless I am semi conscious. Good luck, I hope you are not “too small”.

8. grntitan

Unsingle--With my ongoing medical issues i have had some quite humbling things performed on me in front of family, nurses, docs and students. There are however things i will tell know one that doesn't already know from being there. I call them the things that will go to my grave with me. That would have been one....LOL freak'n hilarious. The doc part i can relate to as i have mostly Asian docs. That so sounded like them.

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

I can't say that anyone has said anything that makes me feel very good about this. I'm starting to think I just should have kept my mouth shut about pissing blood and just ignored it. Anyone does anything I don't like and that will be the end of it. I've walked out of Doctors offices before, I can do it again...

cap

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I had one about five years ago to insert a stent to allow a kidney stone to dissolve.

Full anesthesia for the procedure. When I woke up had a strong urge to urinate, despite having been 'drained' - this is a typical feeling after the fact - passed in a few hours. Post-op pain was not bad. I was given all sorts of meds to manage pain, etc. and did not need them.

I was 'out' for about twenty minutes and drove myself home just a few hours after.

I did pee blood for a few days (again, this is normal). With the stent in I had to urinate fairly often, but with the stent and the meds I was on for the kidney stone this is normal.

Given a choice I would do the full anesthesia - fast acting and short lived will little risk. Not sure why people are scared of anesthesia.

11. capvan

capvan Active Member

I have no problem with anesthesia and is my choice. Unfortunately the medical center doesn't share my opinion and does the cystoscopy "in the office". I cringed when I heard that.

As I said, I should have just ignored this whole thing...really.

cap

12. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Get a second opinion... If you want to be knocked out that should be your choice...

13. capvan

capvan Active Member

One large medical center. Any second opinion would come from one of their docs...I'm sure he would subscribe to the party line.

14. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Cap, although I had an unfortunate situation, I think the key is to be relaxed when you have the procedure done. I would ask for some medication to relax me about an hour prior to the procedure. Why suffer and go thru the anxiety, when a simple pill almost makes it fun?

15. capvan

capvan Active Member

It would take an awfully big hammer to relax me for this. I've tried the pill route for other things...doesn't work. And the doc always says...hmmmm, it usually works...

16. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Cap..peeing blood is not a good thing When I did it we did the Endoscopy
    and found a bladder tumor. Then they did a MRI and found a kidney tumor. Believe it or not thats good news because its almost always completely curable if caught early. The bladder tumor was removed a year ago, the kidney tumor 9 months ago and up till today I'm still cancer free. If you have an early stage bladder cancer its very simple outpatient surgery to remove it. I have a Endoscopy now every three months. I just lay down on a regular table and the doc does her thing. Yep...her... takes less than 5 minutes total and only a little uncomfortable.
    Get in there and get it done, the talking and worrying is worse than what they are going to do to you. Let us know how it goes. GaryL.

17. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

I am an Anesthesiologist and do quite a bit of these types of cases during the day. For a simple cysto you can try it in the office first. Your urologist will use a lidocaine based gel that will be squirted into your urethra to both help the scope pass easier and to numb the lining of your urethra. If it's a not go for you at that point then don't feel bad about rescheduling it and having it done under some deeper sedation by anesthesia. You don't have to go all the way to a general anesthetic but can be done under what is commonly termed "MAC" pronounced "mack" like the truck and stands for "monitored anesthesia care". It is very deep sedation but the drugs we use are eliminated quickly and you won't lose the whole day.

18. grntitan

As others have already stated, peeing blood is not something you ignore and can be very very serious. Blood does not normally come out of there. Please get the test done. Also if you do not feel comfortable the way your current doc suggests performing it, there are plenty of other docs who will listen. Good luck.

19. KRE

KRE TS Member

capvan,

Get it done yesterday if your pissing blood. If you let it go they may have to remove your bladder if that the problem and you will have to have a "Stoma"(spell)built into your side to piss. With that you will have have a bag 24/7, and you don't want that. The other option is they can build you another bladder that you will have to squeeze to empty, and those can burst internally.

Another thing, if they have to remove your bladder your sex life is over for good. Get the cysto done ASAP and let them try an save your bladder, as they did mine. I went threw everything your going threw right now, but trust me the cysto is no big deal at all. If the first Doc wants to remove your bladder get a second read fast. Glad I did, as the first Doc Was FOS. I live in Alabama I went to UAB in Bhm for the second read, and got Dr. Amling who was the best in the SE. He moved to Or. two years ago but he hooked me up with his first choice, Dr Bryant who I like just as well. Glad I went there, everything OK at this point with me, and my last cysto in Jan. showed good.

20. capvan

capvan Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.