1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cyotes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by rooferbob, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

How many have you killed for the season? I have 10 so far for the 2012 hunting season!
    rooferbob_2008_030340.jpg

2. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Sweet I've gotten 23 so far. Got 6 in one day.

3. 548

548 Guest

Do you primarily call, or do you drive around looking for them?

4. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I do both but got most of them riding around

5. 548

548 Guest

Do you find them laying in fence lines or just laying out in the middle of fields or what? I have been contemplating a little coyote hunting with my Savage .17 HMR.

6. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

That is a good looking DOG, The ones here only have half thier hair if that much. I killed three in Nov and half the hair would have been generous, Dec's 2 were Ok but they came from hill country so not as much mange. Bobcats look good, Foxes do to.

7. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

The 17 hmr in my opinion is not a good match for coyotes it's on the small side. I have shot one with it. Did not dispatch it very quick. Coyotes are tough animals they can take a beating. My personal preference is 223 & up. Currently using a 22-250 ackley with 75 grain Bergers at 3300 fps 1&8 twist 26 inch barrel. Longest shot so far on a coyote is 596 yards. Have shot this gun out to 1100 yards on steel. Would never shoot at a coyote at that range. Bullets don't have much left at that range. Hit the 18 inch plate 9 times straight at 1100 yards. Thankfully there wasn't much wind that day.

8. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

I have taken 5 this year. My hunting consist of waiting for them to walk by my house, 3 that way, or when I see them when harvesting crops. Nest plan is to get a call.

9. Shotgun Specialties

Shotgun Specialties Active Member

Bobby, I've been looking for my pet. Thanks alot for finding him. LOL Doug

10. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

How are you Doug? At least now you know where he was, him and 2 bigger ones were eyeballing one of our prize calves, that just dropped. Damn shame I only got this one.

11. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I got this picture in an email saying it was from a predator hunt contest.

<a href="http://s1268.beta.photobucket.com/user/lfeco2/media/22222jpeg_zpsb5f36593.png.html" target="_blank"> 22222jpeg_zpsb5f36593.png </a>

12. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Hope you didn't use an AR to shoot that yote because people DON'T hunt with them you know.

P.S. Nice looking dog.

13. Shotgun Specialties

Shotgun Specialties Active Member

Son od a B****, Doug
    Why shoot trap?

14. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

6 IN 2012. None yet this year and not because of lack of trying.

Please rethink your using a 17HMR for yotes. I don't have much love for them as they eat the calfs and new born elk/deer when they are higher in numbers, but I will at least use something that will have them in the DIRT quick. That small of a cartridge would do more to piss them off than take them out cleanly if you do not hit them in the perfect spot (head or lung). I am not saying you can not kill one with the 17 but like 7mag stated "223 and up".

15. rw993

rw993 Active Member

.264mag with 85gr hollow point or ballistic tip works pretty well.

RW

16. 548

548 Guest

I bought a foxpro caller a couple years ago but haven't tried it out yet. Anyone have success with electronic callers?

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    .17 HMR is a nice varmint round, but it is woefully inadequate for coyotes. Unless, of course, you like to inflict pain and suffering when it does not kill them outright.

My preferred minimum coyote cartridge is a .223, but any .22 centerfire will work. Nothing wrong with .17's as long as they are a centerfire. The coyote cartridge by which all others are judged is the .22-250.

I have a .25-06 for long range coyoting, but it is highly destructive of pelts. Not that it matters a lot here, most pelts are mangy. At close range it can and will blow a coyote in two, and if you are within 10 yards you may get wet. I don't use it much. Prefer the .22 centerfires.

Electronic callers. Sometimes they work well, sometimes they don't. Overplaying the classic dying cottontail or jackrabbit blues can turn off some wary coyotes. Try some other sounds as well. In urbanized or rural farm areas coyotes will often respond to kitten or puppy sounds, and kittens work in bobcat country. Bird sounds can work too. And I always carry mouth calls as a backup.

Also, don't assume because you didn't see a coyote that you did not call one. Often a coyote will see or smell you, but you won't see him. This is especially common for beginners. One of my first hunts in sagebrush country I hiked down a muddy road and set up, back to a tree, overlooking a draw. Called and called. No coyote. Got up to leave and noticed coyote tracks behind me, some on top of my footprints. I called one, but not where I could see it. This brings up another point. Try to hunt with a partner and sit back to back.

Camo is not necessary, but definitely do not wear blue. Tan clothing works very well. Greens will vary because coyotes cannot see green. Olive drab is actually a mixture of black and yellow, so it will appear as various shades of tan and yellow. But green itself will appear as gray or white, usually against a tan or yellowish background. Camo can give you an edge with older, smarter, experienced coyotes. Definitely wear camo or tan or brown gloves and try to wear something to hide your face. Skin shows up very white and telegraph your position badly.

Scent control. I don't go overboard, but I do use unscented laundry soap, unscented bar soap, and unscented underarm deodorant. I don't smoke, and believe me, coyotes do detect people from their tobacco reek.

18. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I haven't gotten any this year. We have had a problem with mange the last several years, and it killed a bunch of them. Most of them freezing to death from lack of fur. Had three living across the road from me. They had a litter of pups last summer, but haven't seen any for about a month. This drought around here has taken its toll on alot of wildlife.

19. Lyle

Lyle Member

You are getting about as many people on there to agree with using the 17 hmr for coyotes as you do with your view on Obama and gun control........lol.

I prefer the .204 for coyotes, although the .223 and 22-250 are awesome too. The .204 does kill them DRT and there is minimal pelt damage.

The foxpro will not work since everyone has one. Please send it to me. By the way, why do you need a Foxpro? Can't you just use a hand call to hunt Coyotes? Next thing you know, you will want to use a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.

Lyle

20. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Rooferbob,
    Where in Ohio are you located? Just last week my shepard sounded off with his bigboy voice, I looked out a yote was about 60 yards from my front door. Being the "good" gunowner 223 was in the dam safe. Went outside to look in snow to find tracks, 15 minutes apart another went along the ditch from another direction. 9:15 am I need to get the caller back from the boys !
    DaveB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.