1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cynergy Combo or XT.. Can't decide!! Help.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Frye, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frye

Frye TS Member

Hello everyone! I hope all is well with you on the firing line!

I'm thinking seroiusly about an Unsigle combo from Guns Unlimited. I have been sold on the XT Golden Clays for several months now. I called the store to check availability and wouldn't you know it. They don't have MC stock 34/32 Unsingle in stock. I don't want a grade one or an adjustable. I don't like the engraving on the grade one guns.
    I have experience with the Citori XT, had one for a while but it was taken away shortly after I got it. Loved it so I set my goals high for the upgraded combo. Now I can't get one. SO, I'm considering the Cynergy Classic Trap unsingle combo.
    Is anyone out there shooting this set up yet and what are you're thoughts?

Beretta's aren't out of the question either, they would be my 3rd choice. I can shoot an order Beretta this week if I want. I've never really considered one before. I see alot of them but they don't turn my crank for some reason.

Regards,
    Frye.

(Jeff)

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Frye, why not try Jaqua's for a GC combo?

3. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

Would like to see comments of the Cynergy toooo ???

4. Frye

Frye TS Member

Pheasantmaster. I'm fairly new to trap and I have most of the abbreviations down but what might a GC combo be?
    I'd like to look at them.
    Reliability is going to play a major role in the purchase, that's why I was sold on the Browning. Parts are easy to get where I live and my Gsmith is comfortable working on them.
    P and K guns he's not to familiar with.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

GC is simply Golden Clays.

6. Frye

Frye TS Member

I thought they were exclusive to Guns Unlimited. I didn't consider Jaqua's.
    I'll take a peek at the web site and see if anything is posted.

Thanks Pheasantmaster.

7. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

The Browning is a very good gun. I have a XT and just love it. I also have a Cynergy Sporting and it is a keeper. As for the unsingle I think the Cyngery Unsingle Combo would be my choice.
    I wanted one and couldn't get it. I got a Joel Etchen 687 Pigeon II EELL and I can tell you I glad I did. This gun shoots where you point. I glad I got the Beretta over the Browning unsingle Trap.

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I've owned a few XT's and Beretta's a like. I find that the Beretta's are smoother swinging. I also like that the barrels are more interchangable on the Beretta's. The big thing with me these days is the fact that you can get a Beretta without porting.

ec90t

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a brand new XT 34/32 GC combo I've never fired sitting in my clost...I'll let you know when I get around to it,...I had a GE unsingle and did not care for the way it felt..too long light and whippy and the stocks pistol grip is just too large and far away from the trigger ..even with the shoe all the way back. The XT on the other hand just feels perfect but its all personal taste in the end....By the way though...nothing has ever felt better that my Citori Plus Combo and I'll probably use that till they have to bury me with it

10. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

First of all, don't buy anything that you can't try out first, or at least see how it fits you...that is most important. All of the guns mentioned are quite nice, but fit and swing dynamics are key issues.

RobM

11. rrose

rrose TS Member

I had an XT with a custom made stock and liked it a lot but after I handled a Cynergy I ended up selling my XT and I really like the Cynergy better. It is a lot different feel than the XT and I like the way it sings better. Also many dealers now have Cynergy combos so you can try one and as many have said you should try one before you buy because some guns feel better than others and all people are different.
    Good luck
    randy

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

between the Cynergy and XT combo.......I just like the looks of the cynergy better.

13. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Forget about resale. If the gun works for you you will keep it forever. I have 2 Cyerngy Sporting one a 32 for me and a 30 for my wife and they are both keeper.

14. Frye

Frye TS Member

K 80 would be a nice gun to have I'm sure, however I just don't have the coin for one and I don't want a "gun payment".. I'm afraid I'll just have to settle on a B gun until I win the lottery. I have shot the XT and I loved it, so I'm thinking I'll go with the Citori. I shot a Beretta tonight and it just felt whimpy to me. It was a shooter though, I'll give it that but I found myself swinging thru targets.
    I'd like a non ported gun, but honestly, I've owned ported shotguns and stand next to one every week on the leagues, I can't tell the difference in the muzzle noise??? I don't think porting is going to be a deciding factor for me.

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

They both have good points.

The XT Unsingle is very tunable, having room in the barrel stub for reducers, and also a standard sized stock bolt hole. It has Inertial triggers, and is a real bargain.

The Cynergy is a totally new design. The fire control group is high speed, mechanical and has a better trigger than the XT. The hinge system is monstrous and will likely never wear out.

The receiver is not as tall as the Citori series, and has a very sleek, predatory look to it. It is a very good handling firearm, and is tunable for weights as well.

The Unsingle's adjustable rib is underrated. The whole package is Browning, with the quality we are all used to.

They are both supremely efficient clay target crunchers!

Browning chokes are spec'd a little looser so they can handle steel shot without damaging the barrels or chokes.

I recommend bore matched Angleport chokes. Most XT's I have measured have .740" bores. The Cynergy's I have had a chance to mike have been .735" There is no disadvantage to the smaller bore.

My choices would be one IMOD and 2 FULL chokes. The IMOD is for the first shot of Dubs. Full is for everything else.

As always, check the POI of all three barrels at 13 yards as Neil Winston suggests. Your top O/U barrel might shoot higher than the lower. Most folks across the pond shoot top barrel first.

My Unsingle Combo shoots both O/U barrels the same 80/20. I bought the XT. I also have a Cynergy Sporter that is ultra deadly on clays as well. The Cynergy has less felt recoil.

Porting with standard loads will not affect your shooting, or those around you.

ALL my 12 and 20 ga tournament arms are factory ported. If I buy a target shotgun I intend to keep that is not ported, Richard Patty of Shotgun Sports, an Angleport Licensee, solves the problem. Great fellow to deal with.

16. Frye

Frye TS Member

Shooting Coach... Thank you. That was a very informative, unbiased opinion of the 2 guns I am considering. I'm going to shoot a Cynergy Classic Trap on tomorrows league. My gunsmith has one for sale, though not a combo, I think I should expect the same characteristics from the O/E.
    I'm leaning towards the XT Combo but I won't sign the check until I shoot the Cynergy tomorrow.
    I eliminated the Beretta earlier this evening. It felt like I was shouldering a golf club. I shot well with it, but just wasn't impressed with the fit or the handling of it. I know I'd end up selling a Beretta gun to gain something better. I want to buy it once, and shoot it until I'm dead.
    Then the kid can have it!

17. Shooting Coach

Although I am a Beretta Armorer, I do not own a Beretta. They just do not have the fit of the Browning for me. They are fine firearms.

Some folks say they are complicated in the fire control group. Actually, most shotguns with inertial triggers lean toward some variation of Val Brownings' ingenious design update for the Superposed in the '30s.

I have a fairly comprehensive knowledge of the Browning and prefer to shoot them. Beside that, they fit like they were made for me, even the small bores.

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

resale on a cynergy? I think most are holding on to them. Have yet to see a used cynergy trap combo for sale. The cynergy is a far better looking gun MHO. Also the reciever sits lower looks like the top barrel is more in line with the stock, maybe reduce the muzzle flip a bit on top barrel????

19. junior winner

junior winner TS Member

i have been shooting my xt for 2 out of the 3 yrs. i have been shooting at the 2008 u.s. open this year in event 7 i was placed in a shoot off i was shooting a 2006 xt adj. comb with a gracoil installed by wrights. the other kid had an xt unsingle combo nice looking gun we ran the 25 then the second round he dropped 2. back to the subject i have been reading up on these cynergy and i found that they shoot a 50/50 instead of the xt's 70/30. i was talking with the guys at guns unlimited (the place where i got this xt) since i had a gracoil installed i dont want to drop another 300$ if you have an xt and want the xt combo you can trade your gun in and switch the wood so you would be trading in a gun with new wood guns unlimited is the only place you can buy a brand new xt combo. My opinion is the golden clays engraving aint going to win you anything but looks and less money just go with the plain combo save some money and if you shoot good with it then you shouldnt worry about resale.

-C.G.

20. Shooting Coach

I would say that the firearm's POI has a lot to do with the shape of your head, and height of your cheekbones.

My Cynergy Sporter and GTI Sporter POI slightly over 70/30. Ideal for me, as I am used to a high shooting tournament gun.

A Browning XT I bought, mainly for the wood (WOW) has turned into a fantastic trap gun. The bottom barrel prints about 90/10, and the top is right at 100%. This is textbook for the way I shoot. The top barrel is IDEAL for caps. All my Brownings have fixed stocks, and are PRECISELY centered and high as though they were individually fitted to me. The stock maker at Browning must be my identical twin! (handsome devil, what?) LOL

I do not care for true 50/50 guns. I prefer to float a target and not have to blank it out with the front of the gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.