1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cyl vs skeet choke...what's the difference

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omgb, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Cyl vs skeet choke...what

I have a Browning Citori Feather in 16 GA. I wanted a couple of invector skeet chokes so that I could do some field practice over on the skeet range. All I could find were cyl chokes so I bought a couple. Now I'm wondering, what is the difference? Are the skeet chokes less constrictive than the cyl chokes or vice versa.

2. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

Cylinder means no choke at all........therefore the least restrictive of all choking. Skeet is a little bit of choke, depending on manufacturer. Often it is around 5/1000ths of an inch.

Why "around?" Because different manufacturers use slightly different constructions.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

0.005"

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

If you have a Euro-skeet choke, it will have negative choke. As a practical matter there is no material difference.

5. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Depends on what the manufacturer wants to call it. It may have a slight flare or a slight constriction. No practical difference.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If you bore guage them you may find ou they are one and the same. For all pratical purposes, I don't think you notice much even if the skeet chokes had proper constriction.

7. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. At skeet distances I can't see where it will make the slightest difference except that I may just nail the number 4 station a tad more often with Cyl choke :) ....maybe. Number 8 I have have down, low or high house I crush them but number 4 is my downfall.

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I would agree also about not seeing much difference. I havn't been shooting skeet to long, got bit by the bug and love it. I also use it as a hunter practice and love it becasue it's different than trap.

I shoot it with a Beretta auto, first used the Euro skeet that came with the gun, bought the factory Cylinder tube and shot that awhile because I thought I'd be tightening up some and now currently shooting a US Skeet.

On paper there is not much, little to any difference between the Euro choke and the US Skeet. My tubes do mic differently, the Euro is a negative constriction while the US is about .004 tighter than bore.

I wouldn't make it out to be too much of a big deal about your chokes. Should be about one in the same between cylinder and skeet.

Good luck and have fun.

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Put your mind at ease. If you miss the number 4 station bird it will not be do to the choke. In theory cylinder throws the most uniform patterns with less fliers to the extent of it's useful range. That range is beyond normal skeet distances. I like a little choke. Skeet for me. Jeff

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>"...number 4 is my downfall..."</i>

Quick recommendation: More lead.

Better recommendation: Get Todd Bender's video, and watch it about 5 times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cylinder vs skeet choke

difference between skeet 1 and skeet 2 chokes
skeet 1 vs skeet 2 choke

skeet choke vs cylinder choke for skeet

skeet choke vs cylinder choke for skeet shooting
skeet choke vs mod choke

skeet vs cylinder choke

what is difference between chokes skeet and trap