1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CYL CHOKE FOR SPORTING CLAYS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yukon_870, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

Doe anyone use CYLINDER choke for the close in shots in sporting clays? Is there any real advantage over the SKEET choke for the close in shots?

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

There is not enough difference between the two to justify buying, carrying, or changing to if you already have the other.

3. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

Briley tells me that from cylinder to what some choke manufacturers cal -5, also is a waste of money. They have a choke they call a "Diffuser" , has a spiral or rifling some would say, that grabs the wad and does open a bit more. best advice for close sporting shots is close one eye, shoot it like a rifle. Try it its suprising. Jim

4. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Put it on paper for the distance you want to shoot it at. I trust you have measured the barrels and choke so they are close to what you think they are.
    The diffuser worked in my k gun but you should still measure and print the choke. I had a diffuser that shot like a mod.

5. billn

billn Member

I use the Diffusers for rabbit shots, they tear up the rabbits if you do your part, I shoot a Browning XT trap for sporting clays, the rest of the shots I normally shoot IC and LM second shot.

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Nope.

.005, .015, .025 is all you will ever need, anything else is just a mind game. Actually, the LM is all you REALLY need 95% of the time.

7. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Spreaders for close rabbits...I'm not a choke changer.

8. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I agree with what Mark425 said. Personally, I never use less than Improved Cylinder (.009 in my gun) for close-ups just because I have never seen a need to. Do what works for you.

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I shoot IC/IC in my MX8-20 for all. I use #9 moving up to 1oz loads for the long shots to help fill the pattern. 7 1/2 shot for rabbits if you want. I think changing loads is a lot easier than changing chokes.

10. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

I considered the same questions re these chokes and as I have a set of "spreaders" along with everything else in 0.005" increments for both my Browning XS and Kolar O/U (both 30"). I went to the pattern board and compared the spreaders vs. the cylinders and skeets at 13 and 22 yards. I could see no difference between the spreaders and the cylinders, and the skeets were tighter at 22 yards. These spreaders are simply cylinder bores with flared ends, not actually with any kind rifling or diffuser so there is not really any reason the pattern should spread any wider once it leaves the cylinder section. Therefore, with this limited experience I see no difference between the spreaders and cylinder chokes, with the skeets being just a little tighter. Besides, like station 8 in skeet, as close as those shots are the choke you are using is hardly important. Just stick the barrels up there and shoot the damn things.

No charge for this information...just my experiences. Cheers.

Larry

Larry

11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've always been under the impression that some choking is better than none. I started shooting skeet with an Euro tube (negative constriction) went to cylinder to tighten things up, now shooting the US skeet version that is about a .004 constriction. If I were to do it over again I would have started with the US Skeet and never wasted my time or few bucks on those other tubes. That cylinder tube seems to be a waste to me. Don't know nothing about a spreader tube. Rabbits seem to break pretty decent with an I/C and 7 1/2 shot in my Beretta.

12. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Only need three chokes from my experience. .10-.20-.30. Foget the chokes and the shells and worry about the move to the target. Chokes and shells are both WAY over rated.

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You should have a cylinder or the -5 choke that Beretta calls "American skeet" for the few times you need it. It's not unusual on a sporting clays course to get a very fast close in shot that's very hard to hit with a tight choke. National Champion Anthony Matarese says he only uses two chokes. A 15 Pure Gold, which is about Modified, and the -5 choke for the real close in shots.

14. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

3 chokes is one too many to agonize over. I was a fan of "Choke and No Choke" when Anthony was in kindergarten....nice to know he was brought up right....:)

Note that he also uses an autoloader, so he only has one choke at a time. I started out with IC/IC & Cyl's for the silly stuff. After a few years I went to LM/LM, then later M/M always with a pair of Cyl tubes for emergencies. Now I shoot fixed IM/IM for everything from 70yds out all the way in to 15yds. I practice with the IM/IM all the time, but when I'm keeping score I carry spreaders for the stupid target the occasional setter can't resist throwing in my face.

I agree that, if you're new enough to the game to ask about chokes, put in LM and forget about it.

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

you can always break it with too much choke. Too little........??

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It also depends on the sporting clays course. Many are 5-stands on trap fields, so the shots are fairly close. An IC, LM or M works, with the LM being almost ideal.

But on a sporting clays range that has room the shots may be further out, and may vary quite a bit stand to stand. I haven't seen one yet that needed a full, but a mod, definitely. So don't leave extra choke tubes at home until you've actually seen the range.

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I too think that the cylinder is a waste. Don't spend the money on one. I've never seen a skeet shooter put on in on station 8. How much closer can you shoot a target than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like a skeet, IC, Light Mod. or maybe a Mod if you like. You will not need more choke than a mod. Now lets break some clay this weekend. Breake-m all. Jeff

18. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I use LM and M for everything in sporting. I'm lazy, I guess. One place I shoot has a station where teal type targets are launched behind a little hill in front of you. The target is only about 15 yards away when you shoot it. Light mod is what I use for this station.

19. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

I have read that George Digweed, the greatest sporting shooter in the world, with 18 world titles does not change chokes. He changes guns. He switches from a full/full and a full/imp mod gun during his events. Unbelievable shooter. BIG JIM

20. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

For 99% of my shooting on the sporting courses IC/LM is all that I need. If there is one that's up close and personal, I just thread shoot it (remove choke entirely and pull the trigger). I've been doing this for over 10 years and have no issues with the threads. The only choke I keep in my pouch is a Mod for those really long target presentations.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can you use a diffuser choke to shoot sporting clays

cyl choke skeet shooting

cylinder choke for skeet

cylinder choke for sporting clays
cylinder for sporting clays

difference between skeet and cylinder chokes

difference between skeet choke and sporting clays choke
will a cyl choke work for skeet