1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CVR speaker ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ljutic111, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Lately we have had a lot of problems with the speaker system on our wired CVR`s . In one week we had to take 5 speakers off the line because of failure to throw a target when another shooter would have no problem to have the target release ? WE bought 24 speakers and I retro fitted them to the older wire connections . Sometimes they work fine when we start and then seem to fail ?? How can I test them to see if they are working properly and what ones I should chuck ?? I don`t own a scope but did have a bunch checked at an electronic shop and they were fine I was told but never watched them doing it . I have a condinuity tester and did a AA battery test to see if they made noise when I touched the terminals with the 2 wires off the battery but I don`t know what that tells me since they didn`t work after that ??

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

More often than not, it's the wires that give us trouble rather than the speakers. Check the continuity on your wires, or try replacing a speaker wire instead of a speaker. That might be your problem. Mark

3. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Have you checked the unit in the house?

WE shot at West Penn in 2010 and fought trap 1 from Thursday to Sunday. They finally changed the unit in the house and it worked like a champ.

FRedmon

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Had 2 transformer sets sent back and repaired,seemed OK. Then windmilling on one house , caused by a bad wire connector from the transformer to the mixing terminal box. Next day windmilling on the other house, bad connector on the terminal box . Replaced that and it was fine but the speakers giving the next problem . Some seem to have a delay too ?? Which I`m thinking that maybe 1 or 2 are really taking over . Last year a caller on one house sent targets off on the other ? That hasn`t happened this year but had to hand pull 2 stations most of the afternoon and changing the speaker sets didn`t correct it unless the other 2 were bad ? Gets frustating to the shooters when you forget to pull 2 and 4 . Then station 1 acted up ? Not a good day . Speaker wires were all checked last year, 10 inches cut off and new connectors put on with shrink wrap .

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

The problem usually ends up in the connections at the box on the range. Each time the system is dismantled the wires get pulled to disconnect the terminals from the box exerting undue tension on the connections. We constantly have a wire or two out for repair which usually results in cutting off a couple of inches and installing a new terminal connector.

Big Jack

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`m getting condinuity thru the wires and speaker , they just aren`t working properly . I have spare speakers to replace them but I want to know if they are really bad ?

7. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I wired a cord with a pin jack and plug it into a small tape recorder. Speak into the speaker and then play it back through the same speaker. if it works both ways it's good.

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Id bet the wires are bad. If their original ive found the insulation on the wires split and ground out on the wire shield. Get some two wire stock and make a short set to test the mikes. You may find your real problem.

9. pitt4570

pitt4570 Member

get yourself some new 2 pin connectors find someone who can solder and repair them yourself its not hard also use heat shrink tubing to firm up the area at the connector the wires are small and do not take much abuse try not to wind them up real tight on the stands nice big loops also call a little louder these mics are like old shooters they get a might hard of hearing ted

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

What grunt said. Use lamp cord wire and two new ends as a test wire. Also as a preventive: Get 1/4 20 lock nuts and replace the wing nuts. Tighten them up and this will end the speaker flopping that I see at most clubs that leads to wire end failure.

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

All new connectors , soldered and shrink wrapped . I will check the spread of the terminals again but I did that a few years ago so maybe they squeezed together to much but I doubt it ? I will try a set of new speakers also .

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Have you ever taken a cover off the CVR Box? Usually there is condensation and the moisture liqufies and you can easily get a teaspoon of water out of the box, I have used a HAIR DRIER to correct the problem, Leaving them outside aggravates the moisture problem. I believe a person should open them up frequently and use a HAIR DRIER to dry them out, saves a lot of money.

The speakers are usually 8 Ohm speakers on Canterbury's.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Thanks for everyones concerns . All 5 are working now . Changed the connecting box because a 4 prong connector was being pushed in - don`t see it being a problem though !! No water in them but we did have it a few years ago and yes , the hair dryer took care of it . I will fix that but with the new box they are fine except for 1 which some calls didn`t send the target out . Loader call worked ?? I did open all the split prongs which all looked good but did it anyway . I can sleep tonight !!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.